Husband back to drinking

Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Good to hear. Just remember that alcoholism is progressive, and the time may come where things change. I won't project my own feelings onto you, but it became very depressing for me to watch someone I cared about literally drinking himself to death. Just keep checking in with yourself, and there's no dishonor or failure if you decide you don't want to spend the rest of your life living with an active drunk.

OTOH, having been sober for a good stretch, maybe he'll decide to end the "experiment" before too long. We can hope so.

Hugs,
Thanks again, Lexie. You raise good points. It is progressive indeed. He is at the chronic stage. AH is elderly and already has chronic health problems due to his alcoholism. Mental and physical. He has been told by our doctor if he continues to drink, he only has a few years left.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeeJane
Wanted to post an update. So AH back into his daily drinking now for a couple weeks.

As this post is about me not him, I want to write how it has affected me. (I am a Al-anoner)

So at first, there was disruption and fuss. I stepped away from this. He wanted me to listen to him justify and rationalise him returning to drinking. I am obviously detached and will not get involved with wasting my time with that. He tried to bait fights too, again to justify his picking up. I took no notice.

He was also looking for me to make him feel it was ok to drink again. I didn't get involved in that either. I also stayed well clear the rapid mood swings he went through. Seeking to blame someone (me most likely!) for his decision to drink.

I am actually very pleased with how I have handled all this. Totally left it all on his shoulders and went about my own business. Didn't cancel or change my usual routine because of his drinking.

In himself now he is calm and his brain checked out and wrapped in his cotton wool world of denial. In a nutshell he is back to where he was before he did his 10ish month quit.

Been a big journey for me. I have grown in self esteem and confidence over the past couple weeks.
Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
I do in a strange way feel grateful for all this happening. Has allowed me to learn, change and address my past.

You sound AMAZINGLY centered & balanced in all of this. I know what you mean - in a way, I didn't know how strong my own recovery had become until it was challenged by RAH's relapse a couple of yrs ago.

I wouldn't have signed up to go through all of that on purpose, but it was empowering to see the strength in myself & really KNOW that I could/would walk my talk.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
LJ, just wondering, does his drinking affect other aspects of your marriage, like finances, or his ability to hold down a job?

Also, do you see detachment as a long term strategy? What if he goes on drinking for a long time? Will you decide to break your partnership? Detachment is working for you now, but it can also mean a sterile marriage with no real love or closeness.
Thank you for asking. This is a vital issue, in my opinion. We are both retired from work. We have pension incomes which are kept separate! He drinks his own money, not mine!

I would never trust an A to hold down a job and chip in 50/50 to support us both. No way. If there were children here, also no way.

Detachment seems to suit me very well, I spent many years in stressful situations now I seem to enjoy being on my own most of the time. We feel close in our own way. Close enough for me.

It wouldn't suit most people. If anyone asked me for advice about being with an active A, I would always advise splitting up.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
You sound AMAZINGLY centered & balanced in all of this. I know what you mean - in a way, I didn't know how strong my own recovery had become until it was challenged by RAH's relapse a couple of yrs ago.

I wouldn't have signed up to go through all of that on purpose, but it was empowering to see the strength in myself & really KNOW that I could/would walk my talk.

Gosh, thank you. I can see the strength I have. It needed to be tested so I could see it.

If this had happened a few years ago, I would have fallen apart, as it is, I haven't, I have grown.

I like myself. I have worked very hard to stop my codie traits, to grow into who I am. I am very different. Both in how I look and act. I modestly say, 'I like myself'.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

If I may share that I also am a member of OA and have been carrying an extra few pounds for a couple years.

I didn't feel fat but I didn't feel quite right in my body. I could not shift this weight! The difference between feeling ok and feeling wow!

It is dropping off now! On it's own or so it feels. I was ready.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
If I may share that I also am a member of OA and have been carrying an extra few pounds for a couple years.

I didn't feel fat but I didn't feel quite right in my body. I could not shift this weight! The difference between feeling ok and feeling wow!

It is dropping off now! On it's own or so it feels. I was ready.
That's a pretty good testimonial LJ - I think I'd be a good candidate for OA.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
That's a pretty good testimonial LJ - I think I'd be a good candidate for OA.
There are quite a few OA clips on You Tube if you were interested in checking them out. I use a version of GreySheet. There are also lots of vids about that too.

Basically you remove trigger foods. So a few days of withdrawals (similar to A withdrawal) then peace breaks out in your mind and body.

Wishing you well with it.