SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Not a big surprise (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/391610-not-big-surprise.html)

Flavia2 05-20-2016 07:54 PM

Not a big surprise

He got ANOTHER dui last weekend. Even though separated, he called me, because he said he has no one else.

It was really hard, I said nope and they took him to jail.

The situation is not a surprise, but it breaks my heart just the same. This disease takes and takes and takes.

Liveitwell 05-20-2016 07:59 PM

You did the right thing. Let him figure it out-his mess and all. Hugs-I'm sure it's not easy.

dandylion 05-20-2016 08:01 PM

OH, Flavia.....I appreciate how hard it is to say no. I have had to do it!!
In the bigger picture, you did the right thing.
No alcoholic benefits when anyone offers them a soft (softer) cushion for the natural consequences of their drinking......
In my opinion, your refusal to rescue him is actually an expression of caring ...as well as your own self-care.
Good for you in doing the hard thing.....

dandylion

maia1234 05-20-2016 08:03 PM

Sending warm hugs. I'm sorry.

Bekindalways 05-20-2016 08:11 PM

It is truly heartbreaking. So so sad.

If you pray, pray hard. And a big hug to you.

jada1981 05-20-2016 09:05 PM

Very sad, but good for you for staying out of his way. Hopefully his higher power is sending him a message.

caretaker88 05-20-2016 11:31 PM

It is kind of funny how they continue to think that we will bail them out... My XABF said this to me the other day... "you would come and get me if I got arrested." I said, "Ummm.... No, I wouldn't." He's like, "you know I would get fired if I had to call in to work from jail." I said, "I don't know if you would or not, but it is not my problem." This really pissed him off. He was like, "I thought we were still going to be friends??" I said, "we are. And as a good friend, I would let you deal with the reality and consequences of your decisions."

Agh.... I can't wait to get out of here!!!! 10 more days!

FeelingGreat 05-21-2016 01:08 AM

Well done Flavia, especially as it went against your instincts. If he drinks and drives repeatedly it's better for him to have the full consequences. He could hurt someone.

Flavia2 05-21-2016 04:34 AM

Thanks, everyone. This site helps me so much -- I'm on every day reading, even if i don't post.

This is a blessing in the way that he has to be off the roads before he hurts someone. I pray everyday for God to help him and maybe now he will seek the help he needs.

Dandylion - I never thought of it like that, but I think you're right about saying no is an expression of how much i care about him. Thank you!

Bekindalways 05-21-2016 08:37 AM

My XABF says going to jail saved his life. Although he wound up in jail for 3 years. At least, in jail, they are not hurting themselves or others.

Big hug to you Flavia. Do something extra nice for yourself to celebrate that "No.".

hopeful4 05-23-2016 06:31 AM

Good for you.

When you take away the consequences of their actions, you take away the chance that they may learn anything from it. You did the right thing.

Hugs.

Liveitwell 05-23-2016 08:23 AM

^ yes!!! That's why enabling is so harmful for an addict-it takes away any chance they will learn!