So, i've been watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix

Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, i've been watching Nurse Jackie on Netflix

Great show. Truly.

However, it really has hit home with me. Addicts are everywhere, and they are so sneaky!

For anyone who just cannot believe how their loved one can fall into addiction, and cannot believe how they can and do lie all the time about their addiction, this show is a great example.

Just my thoughts.....
Old 05-17-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that show was one of televisions most honest depiction of addiction.

I was sorry to see the series end.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

hopeful4....I watched it on tv while it was original series.....and I quite ;agree!
She was sooo devious........!!
And, how she screwed over everyone who loved her and invested in her.....how she sucked her (largely) unaware "enablers" in.....

For anyone reading this thread---I actually suggest this series as a n excellent learning tool about addiction and those who love the addict.....because, it is so accurately written as regards to the natural progression of the disease.
***(I am in the medical profession for my whole life...so, I find a few of the medical drama situations take a bit of editorial license...lol....but, naturally, I have a very critical eye for that....

Right now, I am following the tv series---"Mom". It depicts the recovery side of things. I REALLY like it....

dandylion
Old 05-17-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completely agree with both of you.

It shows a big reason why you cannot call anyone a "functional" addict. She sure does not look like a junkie.

It shows that she appears to be living life, holding a job, mothering children, etc. while in reality, her entire being is focused on her next hit. The lies just seem to spill right off her lips, and are so believable. She puts her addiction above every single thing and person in her life.

A good education on addiction for sure.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep, totally agree with all of you. I was waiting to hear your opinion when I read that you selected that series to watch next, honestly.

I was enthralled watching it for the first time between watching her daughters' struggles (seemingly separate issues but not if you understand addiction) & the way she truly believes she's doing the best/right thing with every lie that falls out of her mouth.

It is a great series!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep this series hit me hard. I just finished it a couple weeks ago. They did such a great job of showing how kind and lovable she could be - they really built up the obviousness of her 'potential'...then they showed the truth. The compulsion, the spiral, the brutality towards the people around her. What a vivid, REAL depiction of addiction, all the way through the cycle.