Treading that line between caring and smothering

Old 04-25-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Treading that line between caring and smothering

Hello. I've been a member here with my own issues for some time, but now I'm looking for insights/advice for helping my brother, who is starting a detox today after discovering his recent heavy drinking has caused bad esophageal irritation and some liver damage -- which he's been told is reversible with abstinence. He'd initially presented with high blood pressure, light-headedness and nausea, and then, because he was honest with the ER staff about his drinking, they investigated further and found these problems. Thank God he was honest.

Apparently he's been drinking enough to require librium, but the doctor thinks he'll be fine detoxing with it at home, even though he lives by himself. I have suggested a few times now that he spend at least tonight with me, but he's declining. I've been honest with him about my own drinking, so he knows there's no judgment here. He just can be very stubborn and doesn't like to rely on others for help.

He is a sensible person, and has a strong will to live, so I think he'll call the hospital or 911 if he starts having symptoms that the librium can't control. But what if something happens in his sleep? Can it? I've been lucky not to have withdrawals when I've quit, but his consumption is much higher than mine, and he is physically not in great shape otherwise. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that he'll be OK. That my hovering and fretting do more harm than good. That there's nothing else I can do right now but love and support him. I do love him so very much. Aside from my husband, he's the best friend I've ever had.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have made the offer, he has declined. Sometimes people when they aren't feeling well don't want to be around others.

Can't really determine what symptoms he will have. Some people can drink for years and not have a hard time with withdrawal. He sounds reasonable so yes, I believe he will call 911 if needed.

Truth is you probably would not stay awake all night staring at him. If something happens in his sleep - well something could happen to any of us. He has been given meds that should handle his issues.

Perhaps he would be agreeable to a well check in the morning.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Truth is you probably would not stay awake all night staring at him.
That would be a tad odd, wouldn't it? ;-) Thanks for the advice. I do think he'd agree to a morning check-in. I'll ask him now.