OT....Purple Rain

Old 04-23-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OT....Purple Rain

Many years ago when I went through the worst and most painful break-up of my life......and, I can tell you that I was the worst hot mess you have ever seen for about 6mo.......Purple Rain (by Prince) was my grieving song....
At night, after work, and after the kids were in bed....I would go into my bedroom where I had a little grieving shrine (lol)....and I would play that song over and over, and, over......crying my eyes out all the while....
It is a good song for that, because it is l-o-n-g!
I played that tape so much....and, one time, the kids stole the tape and hid it behind the couch.....
Needless to say....the passing of Prince brings back some bitter-sweet memories......

**For the record...today, I wouldn't bother to walk across the room for that guy.....

Sigh.....

danylion
Old 04-23-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice tribute to the musician Dandy. He made some wonderful music. Another lost to the terrible disease.

I want to think that each one of us codependents or alcoholics contribute a little to the fight by every step we take in recovering.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
...Another lost to the terrible disease...
So, are you saying you believe he was an alcoholic.................? ....or an addict.................?

(o:
Old 04-23-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He was such a talented musician!! Great memories of his music in the 80's. Loved many of his songs and especially Purple Rain! I can see how it would have served as a grieving song Dandy! Glad that is behind you.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am from Minnesota, so the loss felt here is so overwhelming... Back in the early 80's when Prince was first starting out, he and my mom danced at "First Ave". My mom is only 5 feet tall, and from what my aunts said, they made a really cute couple! LOL!!! I took my mom to one of his concerts a few years ago, so that is something pretty cool we share. We grew up listening to Prince and the Revolution and each of my siblings pretended to be a member of the band! I just love looking back at that memory! Tin foil microphones, cardboard guitars, pots and pans for drums and even a toy keyboard! Ha!

Prince is actually well known for leading a very clean and sober life. He has been a great role model for African American youth in our community and state. He was a very quiet philanthropist and really supported his community and roots.

Rest in peace Prince Rogers Nelson.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A huge loss
Old 04-24-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you dandy....Prince's music has always has a place in my world, no matter what I'm going through at the time. I was so shocked & saddened by this news, it's just so unexpected!! I just listened to the entire Purple Rain album about a month ago - I love listening to it the way it was written, track by track, instead of just roving for my favorites. His death is just a tragedy.

(but no, he wasn't an addict)
Old 04-24-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's so sad how people are jumping to conclusions that drugs and alcohol were involved with Prince's death just because that's "usually" the way it goes with "those types". He was a brilliantly creative and talented artist who did not fog his brain up with that crap. RIP, Prince. Gone too soon.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Refiner View Post
It's so sad how people are jumping to conclusions that drugs and alcohol were involved with Prince's death just because that's "usually" the way it goes with "those types". He was a brilliantly creative and talented artist who did not fog his brain up with that crap. RIP, Prince. Gone too soon.
I didn't hear anything of the sort until it was reported that he was treated for a drug overdose when his plane made an emergency stop after his shows here in Atlanta.

Then the news of a double hip replacement in 2010, ankle issues, chronic pain management. No, I don't think he was an addict. Medically dependent? Yeah, most likely, and most likely I think it will turn out opioids played their part. I suppose we will know in a couple of weeks......
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Such a great artist, song writer, and musician. RIP Prince!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I was 15 years old I saw him perform live, it was completely mind-blowing. It wasnīt the first concert I went to nor the last, but it really stood out. Prince was just such a talented performer and composer. And so much fun too - there was a dress code to attend to the concert, we all had to go in peach and black.

And no, I donīt think his death was drug-related. I did read somewhere they found he had high levels of percocet in his blood when he was hospitalized, but I think thatīs just a painkiller, right? Here a local newspaper said something about "Princeīs overdose" and in small letters "on percocet", it made me so angry, when you use the word "overdose" everyone will automatically assume youīre talking about an addict.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluelily View Post
I think thatīs just a painkiller, right?
Percocets are an opiate painkiller. They are made from opium, just like heroin is. Unfortunately, many people are overdosing on percocets and dying. It's a huge problem.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
So, are you saying you believe he was an alcoholic.................? ....or an addict.................?

(o:
I had seen that he had been treated for an overdose. I'm probably premature in thinking his death was caused by drugs. Sigh. No matter what caused his early death, it is a tragedy for his family.

Are folks successful in music/acting more susceptible to drugs/alcohol or do we just hear about it more when it happens?
Old 04-25-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
I had seen that he had been treated for an overdose. I'm probably premature in thinking his death was caused by drugs. Sigh. No matter what caused his early death, it is a tragedy for his family.

Are folks successful in music/acting more susceptible to drugs/alcohol or do we just hear about it more when it happens?
I think most people would say the lifestyle affiliated with the music industry is definitely highly influenced, and accepting of drug use moreso that other industries. In some ways to me the "drugged out" rocker is romanticized.

What I "think" will be the culprit here is another doctor (s) prescribing massive amounts of prescription medications, probably a personal GP, and that Prince was not under the care of pain management, nor was he subject to the normal restrictions that are in place now such as urine samples, and counting of pills to get scripts refilled (not that would have made a difference , but maybe). Just a guess, but based on history of others that we have seen go down the same road....... I find it implausible that someone who had the flu could sing so well doing two shows the night of the emergency landing.

No, he did not appear to have the problems that others have such as a appearing on stage disheveled, or forgetting lyrics, or just being wasted. Whenever he was interviewed he was well spoken, and intelligent. My husband was on chronic pain management for 10 years at the time he got off he was taking 150 mg morphine daily and 100mc fentanyl patch. Nobody would know either he seemed "normal".

I have worked on some music videos, but not a lot. I didn't see evidence of it but I don't think my experience is enough to go by. I do work often with celebrities in film/TV and yes I have seen it there. I work often in the fashion industry and see it there. What I see is not so much about the party lifestyle, rather, the grueling schedules and necessity to look a certain way. Injuries are common, and when production costs are as high as the are "the show must go on" mentality rules. The schedules are all over the place with a call time or 6 am one day and 6 pm the next. There is a pretty strong movement in that industry to change the working conditions because honestly, they are deplorable in terms of schedule. I believe it is all the same across the board whatever the specific entertainment industry.

I don't know anyone that has been in it for a long time that hasn't endured some type of injury affiliated with their job, including myself. On my side of it we have shoulder and back problems, and foot an ankle, carpel tunnel, rotator cuff etc. I can only imagine what a musical performer battles after doing this for years, and years, and years, on tour, show after show.

So we will find out because the autopsy will be public, in the meantime all the little birdies are chirping as a lot of people are out of a job, and TMZ and Star magazine pay very well. They all are pointing to overdose and prescription addiction and they are right...most of the time. Too much to lose if not.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also think that wealthy, famous people tend to surround themselves with enabling sycophants. When you have that much money and fame, it is very, very easy to just cut people out of your life if they challenge your lifestyle, and replace them with people who won't call you out on your crap. Friends and family often come to rely on famous and/or wealthy friends/family members, and are reluctant to speak up, lest they get cut off. It's also harder, I think, for people with seemingly endless financial resources to hit rock bottom. There are a lot of rock bottom-esque problems that an extremely wealthy person can throw money and resources at to lessen their impact.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I also think that wealthy, famous people tend to surround themselves with enabling sycophants. When you have that much money and fame, it is very, very easy to just cut people out of your life if they challenge your lifestyle, and replace them with people who won't call you out on your crap. Friends and family often come to rely on famous and/or wealthy friends/family members, and are reluctant to speak up, lest they get cut off. It's also harder, I think, for people with seemingly endless financial resources to hit rock bottom. There are a lot of rock bottom-esque problems that an extremely wealthy person can throw money and resources at to lessen their impact.
"the Handlers" Appropriate name.