It's All About Me - One Year Later (super long)

Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's All About Me - One Year Later (super long)

Over the weekend, I pushed myself to finish a couple of big chores that I hadn't originally planned on doing. I've been purging e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. Every closet, cabinet & drawer. Every corner. I'm parting with anything that just doesn't serve me - I don't need any more of a qualifying reason than that. It's all part of a huge 'dumping' I'm doing this year - no longer carrying ANYTHING that doesn't serve me. Then with the holidays, season at work........ I stopped focusing on all of this physical purging.

As I was finishing up on Sunday, I started to think ahead to the "next" thing and I slowly realized that...... nothing was coming to mind. I started mentally running a room-by-room inventory of my spaces & things & realized that while yes, a few areas could use tidying, I had finished any purging necessary for my entire house; 100% of my personal, physical space.

I was completely done. I hadn't anticipated that because I had been building my list slowly, just adding the "next right thing" most of the time, never looking too far ahead because the entire project was just overwhelming.

Done? Done. What? Donnnnnnnnnne.

Then – a thought! What is today’s date? 4-10-16!….. exactly One Year since I started my Whole Life Recovery. (although, I’ve become a big fan of Lexie’s term for it – “uneffing” myself.)

How’s THAT for irony? I literally finished purging my physical space on the exact day of hitting my 1-yr goal for getting myself together physically, spiritually & mentally.

I gave myself one year because I wanted to make lifelong, sustainable changes. I had been battling my weight for, oh, my entire life, but it had become a significant battle over the last few years. I finally had gotten past the finger-pointing of figuring out WHY – why am I this way, what affected me, who did what? It just didn't matter anymore - it's all one big melting pot of "isms" and issues if I thought about it for too long. I could absolutely see that my weight battles were much more than my metabolic issues; I finally connected the dots to understand I had an actual Eating Disorder.

I got VERY tired of ALL of it. I just wanted to stand up & scream “ENOUGH!” Much like WTBH’s post from the other day I wanted to scream, “NOT THIS!” I started to look down the long road too – if I’m here at this point now, in my early 40’s, what are my early 50’s going to look like? I realized that if I didn’t do something different, something drastic, SOON, then….. when? That became one of my mantras every time I stumbled on a decision – If Not Now, Then When?

I had to take control of Me & that also meant removing my qualifiers as my reasons for needing/wanting changes. That was a step *I* needed to take *for me* to mentally own my life & my decisions. I reached a point where I was ready to bundle everything up together -FOO/RAH/ACoA/whatever- take all my acronyms & toss them all overboard. The who/what/why didn’t matter so much any longer once I got laser-like focus on Just Me. Once I removed the “reasons” I could get on with the solutions, I guess? Like becoming unshackled, a certain kind of freedom.

I spoke with my doctor about using meds to kick-start my slow metabolism. Actually – it started with me just venting my frustrations & them suggesting meds. I didn’t even realize “diet pills” were still a thing, lol. We took a lot of time to talk through my history (see more here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...xperience.html) ;

My personal experience with the meds was fantastic. It did exactly what I needed it to do – it got me off the plateau I'd been on for YEARS. It removed all that noise in my head surrounding food & allowed me to re-learn how to recognize & deal with real hunger. It gave me some mental space for other thoughts. It let me focus on other stuff because I was essentially giving up control (well, the illusion of it anyway) over my habits. I ended up cutting the dosage in half after 60 days & getting off altogether after 90 pills. (since I reduced dosage, they lasted more than 90 days, but I often skipped 2-3 days in between half-doses as I weaned myself.)

I started exercising. I went from breathing heavily after walking ¼ mile to pounding down 5-mile walk/jogs in mere months. When I started this, bending over to tie my shoes sometimes made me short of breath, now I’m holding deep breaths for 10-counts, easily. I started using this time to "read" audiobooks or to do active, walking meditations.

I spent a lot of the year hyper-focused on myself. It was definitely my most selfish year-to-date. I’ve NEVER spent that kind of time with Me in the center of everything. I initially had to continually remind myself that self-care & selfish are 2 different things, but there was a definite level of selfishness involved in all of this for sure. And I'm OK with that. While extensively time consuming & all encompassing, it was the very BEST self-care I could be administering for myself.

I've used all kinds of self-care tools over this year: literally countless home facials, spa treatments, pedicures, etc. I've spent time coloring mandalas, attending seminars & classes of all kinds, using binaural beats, meditating, doing yoga, exercise, getting all my blood work/recommended supplements straightened out. Reiki, laser-lipo with B12 shots, mantras, walking meditations, massage, reflexology, practicing gratitude, journaling, working with my chakras, using crystals & crystal bowl sound meditations. I found an organic henna that returned my hair to my exact shade with all the tones & highlights it has naturally & I've kept up with regular haircuts to encourage lots of new healthy growth. I invested in a vitamin C serum for my skin & I. love. it. I started back on my "2-Do" lists for each day & applied feng shui to my entire house.

To name a few things.

RAH & DD have been the most unbelievably supportive cheerleaders for me, every step of the way. I got all kinds of push-back from others though – I was truly surprised at how those closest to me took my healing personally. There was something terribly threatening to them about me going through all of this. Every single one of my close relationships was tested. Every. Single. One. I learned a LOT – about me, about them, about standing still & letting the storm rage around you until it’s exhausted. (In fact - my boss struggles with a lot of these same issues & while we are good friends & work side by side every day, she has not yet ONCE mentioned my changes & fumbles terribly if someone else says something!)

To say that my changes have been significant is a ridiculous understatement. In many ways I don’t even look like the “same” person any longer. I am calm & steady & centered. I am down from a nearly size 14 to a 4. I have gone from huffing & puffing after 5 mins to sweating buckets for 45-60 min workouts that challenge me. I sleep great. I am SO active now that even though I’ve been this weight before, my clothes fit differently because I’ve never been this “in shape”. My body feels completely new. I’ve never been this strong.

I’ve been able to lower my thyroid meds to the lowest dose I’ve ever been prescribed, which is monumental after 11 yrs on them. My RX had been slowly increasing over these years so all in all I slashed my dosage SIX times over the year before getting to this point. There’s a darn good chance that I’ll need to drop it again when I retest in a few months. My cycles have finally regulated for the first time in my life too – that’s right, in my FORTIES I’m finally getting “normal”. For me. Lol

I immersed myself In Brene Brown's books & read all of them in rapid succession. I SATURATED myself in her work & it changed how I treat myself & how I view myself & others around me. But I was ready for that point by then - I had read a whole slew of books, blogs, everything I could get my hands on & it was all a part of my evolution. (not to mention the previous three years or so of recovery work, lol) I read a lot & did a lot of Inner-Child specific work.

I could not be more pleased with the differences I see & feel from 12 months ago. I feel so incredibly healthy. I am perfectly comfortable in my imperfections & knowing that they will always be a part of who I am. I will always be able to find "flaws" if I look hard enough but this process was never about looking a certain way or setting myself up to regress. I've learned that even when I have "bad days" with my eating or body image issues, they are as temporary as the cravings/hormones/fatigue which triggered the feeling & if I just wait it out, it WILL pass. Tomorrow is a new day.

When I heard something "off" or negative in my self-talk I focused on removing it & replacing with a new positive one. I believed myself to be fat, lazy, unworthy, unchangeable on a subconscious level because I'd heard myself SAY it to myself thousands & thousands of times. If I'd said it 100,000 times to myself, I now needed to replace it with 200,000 opposite, positive thoughts. New synaptical wiring, lol.

I've learned that if I can go 3-4 days of fasting with no food & living only on gallons of water, green tea & fresh lemons, then I WILL live without that brownie today, thanks.

I've learned that no matter what we do, others are going to make assumptions & hold us to them as Fact if that's the way they choose to think & I have no more control over that than I do RAH's potential to relapse. I've learned that while *I* have stayed the same, people sometimes seem to treat me differently. I can tell from the looks on their faces that they actually SEE me differently, if that makes any sense.

I read a quote that said something to the effect that "Maybe it isn't about becoming anything - maybe it's about Un-becoming everything you were never supposed to be in the first place."

That pretty well sums up what I've been up to for a year - unbecoming everything I was never supposed to be. Like I said in recent post, I've had a perspective shift in all of this & it's no longer about lamenting what's been sacrificed or lost but about knowing that the very best hasn't happened yet. Forward, not backward thought.

So.... what's up with you?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just want to say that you are such an inspiration to a lot of people here.

amy
Old 04-12-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What an awesome post, FS! You really ARE an inspiration. I'm taking some steps in that direction, myself, right now. I'm not at the point where there's nothing left to clean up, lol, but I'm making progress. I need another big PUSH, myself--I had one going back when I did my initial Un EFFING a couple of years ago, but I sorta ran out of steam. I'm focusing on different things right now, because I can't quite seem to put it all together at once. It's OK, though--I'm still further along than I was a couple of years ago.

Great post--thanks for sharing!!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Your post inspires me, FS! I have been living alone for several years, but, come August, one of my daughters and her husband will be moving in for a couple of years so they can save money to get their own place. (Yes...I know...ugh)

Anyway, I have one room in my three-bedroom house that has been a "junk room" for the past few years. When I didn't know what to do with something, but wasn't quite ready to just toss it in the trash, I tossed it into the junk room.

Well, now, that junk room is out of control and is going to take me quite some time to clean it out, and quite a lot of money to have the junk guys haul all that crap away. I keep thinking I have time, but considering the amount of work there is to do, August keeps feeling closer and closer.

I have copied and printed out your post. I am going to read it, highlight specific areas I need to work on, and get started. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Anyway, I have one room in my three-bedroom house that has been a "junk room" for the past few years. When I didn't know what to do with something, but wasn't quite ready to just toss it in the trash, I tossed it into the junk room.
I have a guest room I'm using as a "junk room." I have until August to clear out the junk because I will be having guests in August and in September (my last guest was two years ago).

Too much PRESSURE!!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for this. It is very inspiring.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome post Fire!!! I think we can learn a lot from you!!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is awesome! It's been so wonderful to walk this walk with you. You are a huge motivation to me FS!

Hugs!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! You have been a busy lady and the results if your efforts are astounding! I'm inspired.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I hope everyone just realizes that they CAN do whatever they aspire to accomplish, no matter how long or hard the road seems.

At a recent seminar the speaker reminded us that "Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right."

Suki/Lexi - I had that same room in my house too. At one point when it was really bad, you couldn't get past the door because stuff was piled that high & wide. [shudder]

I learned that in addition to separating things for keep/give/toss that it was helpful to leave a box for "belongs in another room".... that way I didn't lose time walking across the house rearranging things to new locations. I could drop it in the box & deal with it all later at the same time & not let it interrupt my momentum.

GOOD LUCK to both of you - those are big projects!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I learned that in addition to separating things for keep/give/toss that it was helpful to leave a box for "belongs in another room".... that way I didn't lose time walking across the house rearranging things to new locations. I could drop it in the box & deal with it all later at the same time & not let it interrupt my momentum.
I've started hanging a canvas bag on the stair rail for stuff that belongs in an upstairs/downstairs room. That helps me remember to relocate it where it belongs.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WOWZA - love, love this post. Thanks for the inspiration!! You sound amazing!!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh My gosh how inspiring GO FireSprite!!!

I am curious about the fasting. RAH and I started on a health course at the beginning of the year. I needed to drop 20 and he wanted to gain 20 (of course). I am adhering to a balanced life eating plan that includes a day of juice fasting every week which I have not done. Inconvenient is my excuse at this point as my work schedule changes often, but really I am just wary of it and it don't know why. i'd like to hear your experience if you don't mind sharing.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

FS, thanks for taking the time and effort to post all that you've been doing over the last year in working your own recovery. I find it especially interesting to read how you covered a lot of aspects that, in the past, I would have considered "woo woo." I've checked into a number of things along those lines and while some haven't seemed particularly helpful, some others have been astoundingly useful!

I don't know if I'll ever be able to say I'm grateful for XAH's alcoholism, but I certainly can say that it has given me "G. O. D." -- the "Gift Of Desperation." Along w/that gift of desperation goes the willingness to look in places I've never looked before for things that I never understood that I needed before.

Thanks for your wise and humorous presence here on SR. I can't say how many times your insight has helped me find the next place to put my foot as I follow the recovery path.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I always love it when honeypig talks about "woo woo" stuff...and for those of you who haven't had the privilege to meet her in person like I have, I can safely say--it is a million times funnier when she says it in person.

There's something to be said for "woo woo" stuff, particularly when it is helping you achieve real world results in your own life. <3
Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Oh My gosh how inspiring GO FireSprite!!!

I am curious about the fasting. RAH and I started on a health course at the beginning of the year. I needed to drop 20 and he wanted to gain 20 (of course). I am adhering to a balanced life eating plan that includes a day of juice fasting every week which I have not done. Inconvenient is my excuse at this point as my work schedule changes often, but really I am just wary of it and it don't know why. i'd like to hear your experience if you don't mind sharing.
Of course! Definitely check out the documentary, "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead". Watching it made DD go on a juicing rampage. There are tremendous benefits to getting all the nutrients in such a concentrated form & she was already a fan of the morning smoothie to jumpstart her day, so this wasn't a big leap. Now *I'm* getting used to adding carrot/orange/spinach/apple juice to my regular meal rotations.

My fasting is different though - well, for different reasons at least. I'd done fasting in the past but Carlotta inspired me a while back to change it up with the green tea/juicing aspect.

(Carlotta's original thread) http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ox-anyone.html

(My 1st green tea fasting)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-take-2-a.html

(my 2nd - recent)
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-take-3-a.html

There are a lot of great links about fasting benefits in those threads. My biggest reason for doing it now is that it helps me "reset" - like taking a giant time-out internally. When my body isn't spending all kinds of crazy energy with digestion, all kinds of other processes can get attention.

I've noticed all kinds of things popping up for me during these fasts & I get a bit wonky sometimes like needing a nap terribly in the afternoon but full of energy at 3am. I rarely have urges or issues around food when I'm fasting but I've learned a lot about watching my emotions during that same timeframe... and how that translated to me running to the pantry.

My biggest reason for doing them now is that the research is starting to show how it actually helps you to BUILD a better, stronger immune system. I know the explanation is in the links somewhere, but in a nutshell - at around 48 hrs of fasting your body goes into self-preservation mode & decides to eliminate the unhealthy, abnormal immune system cells so that you aren't spending energy keeping abnormal cells alive - that way the healthiest cells get the best nutrition. When you reintroduce food at between 48-72 hours & the body realizes the crisis has past, it orders production of new, healthy cells to replace the diseased, discarded ones.

They are looking into using this for cancer patients, to help offset the affects of chemo, etc. Woohoo!

Hopefully this helps!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I always love it when honeypig talks about "woo woo" stuff...and for those of you who haven't had the privilege to meet her in person like I have, I can safely say--it is a million times funnier when she says it in person.
I can only imagine, lol!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely all about the Woo, lol. Many of these tools have resonated with me throughout my entire life & have seemed so natural..... but I hid them away because mainstream society says it's "different".

I don't care any longer. This is MY life and part of my recovery was being genuine with myself in this way instead of hiding it all away in a closet somewhere; it has gone a long, long way toward my self-acceptance.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for the explanation. I knew to expect to get tired.....I am going to try it this coming week! Thank you and again so impressed with your lifestyle changes!!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

FireSprite - I found it really helpful and encouraging to read this thread - to see all the things you explored and carried out in your quest for good health and wholeness in every way.
Congratulations on your focus and your success - you have inspired me on my journey towards self-nurturing and understanding.
Many thanks