Yeah, sometimes I think I'm losing it--OT

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yup, carabiner-key girl here too--since I am in and out of a number of buildings in several different towns in 2 different states each day, it would suck HARD if I left anything behind, let alone something as vital as keys!

Plus I have to switch all my gear from my personal car to my work car each day, and I do NOT want to leave anything behind. Last week, I needed to put air in the tire of my work vehicle. The gas cards won't let us buy air, so I reached into my bag for my wallet to get a dollar out. Wait--where the #%)&*% is my wallet? OK, don't panic, just search thoroughly. OK, definitely not in the bag or in this car. Best case--it is still in my personal car, perhaps in the glove box where I might have locked it while walking the dogs at a park the day before. Worst case--let's not even go there yet.

So I kept a chill until I got back to the office, thinking if I check my car and it's not there, I have ALL NIGHT LONG to freak out....and lo and behold, when I got back and checked the glove box, *****, praise god and the little fishes, there was my wallet! What a relief.

Personally, I'd like a CTRL+F function for my brain, to find what I know is in there but no clue what it's filed under!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I cannot tell you how many times my husband or I have found one of the remotes in the refrigerator.

We each blame the other, of course.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I cannot tell you how many times my husband or I have found one of the remotes in the refrigerator.

We each blame the other, of course.
One of the more alarming aspects of living alone is that you know there is no one else to do this crazy stuff but you your own self!!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
And when you live alone, you know there is no one else to do this crazy stuff but you yourself!!
Yes, the sad part is that when I lived alone, I still found remotes in the refrigerator. But please don't tell him that.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Your secret ^^ is safe w/me, SparkleKitty!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Whenever I can't find my winter gloves, I look in the fridge. When I come home from the grocery store I just start putting everything away immediately so it doesn't warm up. (Really everything....)
Old 04-13-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I think that when we do certain things as a matter of routine...like putting in contact lenses or setting the alarm, it's easy to forget if we actually did it or if we remember doing it before because we do it on an every-day basis.

I've gotten to where, when I set my alarm before getting into bed, I say out loud..."I set my alarm." Not sure if it helps, but I haven't forgotten to set my alarm in quite some time.
I do that TOO!

When I leave work & lock the door, my mind is already 100 miles ahead of my steps & it's such a routine task that I often circle back to MAKE SURE I locked the door when I left.

Now I talk myself through it, "Today is Wednesday, I am locking the door!"

So glad I am not the only one!
Old 04-13-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

i get seriously OCD before leaving the house - is the heat off? is the HEAT off??? windows closed? door to the dog pen CLOSED with them INSIDE? coffee pot? any other loose cannon that could blow up my house in my absence?

i'm not sure which is more exhausting.....trying to do stuff BEFORE you forget (often TWICE) or fretting and fussing about it all AFTERWARDS wondering what you DID forget?

:
Old 04-13-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm a noun to my much younger co-workers. When you leave the office, get to the parking lot, realize that you've forgotten something or other, and then have to walk back to your office, it's "doing a Puzzled."

Have to say, ever since I got those Tiles, I no longer have to dedicate fifteen minutes of my day trying to find my keys.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I could quote each and everyone of you and say: yup, been there too...

But then again I have ADHD.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Glasses on your head? Do this at least 3tmes a week!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

moving down a hallway at work, with a good head of steam and then come to parade rest........WHERE was I going again????

i always have to be SUPER careful when taking a batch of papers in one hand for the SHREDDER and a batch in the other hand for the COPIER. and some of you want MORE hands?????????
Old 04-13-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You guys all make me feel better. I'll have great company in the old folks' home.

If I can remember who you all are, of course....
Old 04-13-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Oh, Stop It, Lexie! Stop it with the 'aging"/"old folks" talk. Does not apply.
Unless there is a genetic or organic factor (alzheimers. small strokes, etc...).....
most of this stuff is really attributed to ordinary life style or circumstantial things like.....stress, anxiety, depression, lack of sufficient sleep, lack of exercise, lack of mental stimulation, etc........

Yes, there is some slowing of reflexes, etc. over time..but it is not as much as most people think if all other things are equal.
You are far too young to talk the "old lady" talk....
My family females live until late 90's---almost 100...and, still have razor sharp minds......lol.....
(not me, necessarily....)

**Dandylion has dismounted the soapbox and has left the building.....

dandylion
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

i get seriously OCD before leaving the house - is the heat off? is the HEAT off??? windows closed? door to the dog pen CLOSED with them INSIDE? coffee pot? any other loose cannon that could blow up my house in my absence?

i'm not sure which is more exhausting.....trying to do stuff BEFORE you forget (often TWICE) or fretting and fussing about it all AFTERWARDS wondering what you DID forget?
OMG, I work 20 miles from my home and I can't tell you how many times I have turned around ALMOST at work to go home and find that the coffee pot and curling iron are in fact turned off..
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

So, most of the trackers I have seen use an app from your phone. My biggest problem is that I am always misplacing my phone. I even had one of my students call my phone so that I could locate it in the classroom.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Actually, when you have the Tile, you can also locate your phone. You login to your account on a computer and it will ring your phone even if the phone is muted.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You can also double click the "e" in the Tile, and the phone will ring too. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

This morning I ran around the house in a frenzy looking for my sunglasses-enlisted both girls to assist in my search. Looked under sofas, beds, in drawers, in the car, purse, etc. It wasn't until I stopped running around and plunked down on the couch quite defeated did I feel them fall off my head. Nice one, mom. (Cue both girls laughing hysterically at me ). Is there an app for that?!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I solved two of these problems by becoming a nerd. I am on the road often with work and often carrying many things - rolling carts and bags. I have left keys and purses all over the Southeast. I have packed Keys in these kits so many times I can't count (can you imagine how hard it is to fined a set of keys packed in a trunk without 1000 makeup and hair products?). So.......

I now proudly wear a fanny pack with clip on key chain. Good bye Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Inside my fanny pack I also have an extra set of clipped in keys just in case. Total nerdville and I could care less!! I haven't lost a set of keys or misplaced a purse in two years.

Of course I am knocking on wood at the moment as I know what my capabilities are.