Deja Vu

Old 04-12-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jenniferlynne76 View Post

What do you all think? A) Should I deliver my news in person or via a letter? And B) Would you all be willing to read what I write? I feel like it would be helpful to make sure I don't say more than I have to while still being true to myself, and I trust the collective experiences of all of you greatly. (I'll also have my therapist read the letter -- I'm going back to meet with her again tomorrow after all of this...)

Thanks, as always, for "listening."

-Jen
You may write the letter, but will he bother to read it? News in person is great in an ideal world with healthy people.

Speaking from personal experience, I think we have to lower our expectations even when it comes to break ups.

How about a text message and then no contact?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Ok, so what happens when you have your talk or send your letter or email and his response is……

I love you and I don’t want to lose you. I’ll do everything it takes to keep us together. I’ll go for help, I’ll get counseling, I’ll go to meetings…….

Then what’s your next right move?
Atalose,
My answer would be "go to meetings, go to counseling, get help, get sober. And when you've been clean for a year and have had the time to work on all of that stuff swirling around in your hear? Then, maybe then, give me a call."
Old 04-12-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
What I am getting from this is that you have a need for closure...and I think you are smart to be working through this with your counselor. Just be prepared (and I only say this because of my own lessons) is that any contact with him may just open up more doors for whatever. Old feelings may resurface and rekindle. But if inside yourself you are very SURE that it is over and you have no desire but to be set free, only you can know for sure what you can best live with.

I totally understand what it is like to need closure...
I definitely am feeling a need for closure. And I wouldn't dare attempt any of this without the guidance of my counselor. I may or may not get what I'm seeking but, as long as I stand firm, she supports me at least making the attempt.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Perhaps attempts at closure are also attempts to heal. Wounds heal from the inside out. So, the most important 'work' going on here Jennifer is the healing and growth that is taking place inside of you. Healing takes time, so give yourself plenty of time to truly get over this relationship.
Thank you, teatreeoil. My therapist and I spent a lot of time talking about this today -- the internal growth and healing I am beginning to experience. And the need to learn to take things one day at a time...
Old 04-12-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
You may write the letter, but will he bother to read it? News in person is great in an ideal world with healthy people.

Speaking from personal experience, I think we have to lower our expectations even when it comes to break ups.

How about a text message and then no contact?
Healthyagain,
It's an option. Heck, everything is an option at this point in time. Where my therapist and I left it was that I would make an attempt at personal contact and if that doesn't work for any reason (he doesn't show, it doesn't feel right to me, whatever...) then the message I wrote gets sent off to him (likely as a text because he never reads email and I wouldn't be caught near his house...).
Old 04-13-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Healthyagain,
It's an option. Heck, everything is an option at this point in time. Where my therapist and I left it was that I would make an attempt at personal contact and if that doesn't work for any reason (he doesn't show, it doesn't feel right to me, whatever...) then the message I wrote gets sent off to him (likely as a text because he never reads email and I wouldn't be caught near his house...).
What about that old-fashioned "Dear John" letter using an envelope
and stamp?

Hope it goes well JL no matter what the final medium. . .
Old 04-13-2016, 06:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

JL, I've been reading your thread. The first thing that struck me was that you're so willing to listen! So many come here and though they want help, they're not ready to hear. Most of us, I think, felt that *our* situation, *our* alcoholic, *our* relationship, were somehow different and special and no one else really understands. Yeah, right.

You said that the mornings or after work are the only time you can talk to him sober. But if he's an active alcoholic, he may not be drinking at that moment, but he is FAR from sober. He still thinks like a drunk. It takes a while after they stop drinking for them to think "normally" again. We're talking weeks/months. This is just my experience and I'm sure no expert! But your expectations might be a bit high for how sober/reasonable he is....

Best of luck!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
What about that old-fashioned "Dear John" letter using an envelope
and stamp?

Hope it goes well JL no matter what the final medium. . .
Thanks Hawkeye. We are approaching the final count down, whether it's a phone call or a text. I'd prefer a phone call. Though the trouble is I have been having to make them in the mornings because it's the only time he's sober that doesn't exactly set either of us up for a good day (not that I should even be worried about his feelings at this point. But it feels like a rotten thing to do to someone before they're due to go to work.)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Atalose,
My answer would be "go to meetings, go to counseling, get help, get sober. And when you've been clean for a year and have had the time to work on all of that stuff swirling around in your hear? Then, maybe then, give me a call."
Man oh man JL. You really have got this.

Of course, anything can happen but no sense "future tripping" beyond what you can reasonably expect and you seem to have a plan for all the reasonably expected events.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Atalose,
Now what if he says…………I can’t do this without you, I need you and I need your support to help me. And he begs and begs and pleads his love to you?

LOL not trying to give you a hard time! Just planting some seeds from plays right out of the standard alcoholic playbook.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saljay1 View Post
JL, I've been reading your thread. The first thing that struck me was that you're so willing to listen!
Thank you. I know I need help, which is why I'm here and why I'm seeking therapy. It doesn't do me any good to ask for advice and then ignore it. :-)

You said that the mornings or after work are the only time you can talk to him sober. But if he's an active alcoholic, he may not be drinking at that moment, but he is FAR from sober. He still thinks like a drunk. It takes a while after they stop drinking for them to think "normally" again. We're talking weeks/months. This is just my experience and I'm sure no expert! But your expectations might be a bit high for how sober/reasonable he is....

Best of luck!
This is a fair point. I suppose a more accurate statement would be that he's at his "most sober" right after work or first thing in the morning.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Most alcoholics think more clearly when they've been drinking. Not drunk, but when they've had a couple.

You don't want to have a serious discussion with someone who's DRUNK. I see no reason not to have one just because someone's had a couple of drinks. When you're an alcoholic, that's when you feel most "normal."

If your goal is to say what you feel you need to say before you say "goodbye," then I'm not sure what waiting for the "perfect moment" is going to accomplish. Frankly, from what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound to me like you want to break up with him. If you don't want to, don't. There isn't some kind of rush about it--you're not in any danger, from what I can see.

Maybe just start going to Al-Anon and get your head clear about what you want for yourself, rather than taking notes on what other people have to advise. It's your life. If you're not ready to end it just yet, let it ride for a bit.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

As I said in your other thread...it doesn't sound to me like you are truly done; and that's okay! You don't have to be ready to end things right now. However, you do need to take care of yourself and be honest with yourself both about what you truly want and what is actually feasible.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Now what if he says…………I can’t do this without you, I need you and I need your support to help me. And he begs and begs and pleads his love to you?

LOL not trying to give you a hard time! Just planting some seeds from plays right out of the standard alcoholic playbook.
Ha! I'm always up for a good role play, Alatose! It's good preparation.

My answer to that would be "I know that in my heart, I've done everything I can for you up to this point. Now it's up to you. YOU have to want this. YOU have to be committed to it. And YOU need to learn to love yourself because until you do, you'll be wrestling with these "demons" and there won't be room in your life for me or anyone else."