Advice Needed. She Wants to Change. How to Help?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Rev-I too took psych classes (wanted to be an FBI profiler!) but did not pursue-and I've read so many books about alcoholism and it's effects on family, psyche, self esteem, etc. And I was raised by an abusive alcoholic. None of the life experience or knowledge helped me one bit when it came to my drinking issues or my ex husbands. I needed massive help dealing with the chaos in my family. All I'm saying is to not shut the door to therapy-yeah, some can be a little out there BUT if you find a good therapist you click with that can help YOU, it would be a good thing. Peace, friend.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Chloe's Auntie

Hi, Rev.

I'm only 22 but my sister is both an addict and an alcoholic. I take care of her daughter in my apartment; it's a long story and not for here.

I adore my big sister. If she told me she wanted to take steps to get clean, I'd do what you did, help her find a doctor or someone to help.

I'd also be cautious. Maybe you, like I, have been hurt, worried, scared, and all that when she was drinking.

I don't know what to tell you. This is only my 4th posting, but I wish you both the very best, and I hope to hear good news.

All good things,
Emmy