Enabling Behaviors

Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enabling Behaviors

I Am New. What Are Some Enabling Behaviors? This Detachment Thing? Maybe Some Example? I Realize It Is His Problem But Maybe I Am Doing Things That Enable It. Thank You
Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome to SR Milwife,

If he is going through life happily ever after, never having to stop to take a look at the destruction he is creating, and you are surrounded by it thinking of nothing else, you are doing too much.

JT
Old 09-20-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Milwife...I am new at this too. Everyone on here has such wonderful advise.. some days I think I'm starting to 'get it' - then somedays I see how far I have to go. I started out by reading the book "Codenpendent No More", which led me to alanon and here. It has really really helped, and I do see signs of hope with my AH. I guess I just wanted to reach out and say that you are in the right place to gain some wonderful insight!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT
Welcome to SR Milwife,

If he is going through life happily ever after, never having to stop to take a look at the destruction he is creating, and you are surrounded by it thinking of nothing else, you are doing too much.

JT

YOU ARE RIGHT. HE IS "DOING" HIS OWN THING AN TAKING ME FOR GRANTED THAT I AM HERE TO PICKUP THE PIECES LIKE I ALWAYS HAVE. I HAVE BEEN READING SOME OF THE OTHERS THOUGHTS I REALLY NEED TO START WORKING ON MYSELF AND LET GO OF HIM. I GUESS I AM CONTROLLING, BY TRYING TO KEEP THE PIECES TOGETHER.
THANK YOU
Old 09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi MILWIFE,
There are many books written on those topics. There is a great book list in the power post at the top of the forum. The Codie store has books on codependency, Al-Anon, Naranon, etc. Those books have taught me so much. I wouldn't have been able to find myself and heal without them.

There is a process to stopping these behaviors in ourself. The first step is identifying them and admitting that we have them. Then with support and guidance, we can begin to change. It doesn't happen over night, but it will happen if we stick with it. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-20-2004, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

JT summed it up perfectly!!!!

For me, it was stopping to realize that "I" was always the responsible one that took care of everything.
I cleaned up the messes. Literally!!!!! From body fluids to bills that he'd not paid, to helping to hide his alcoholism from friends, family, etc. Basically, I made his life "easy". He had no consequences to deal with because I took care of them all.
When a person becomes a part of the "aiding and abedding" process, (lying for them, covering things up, etc), I think that really speaks volumes as to what enabling is as it's making it easy (and sometimes even easier) for the user to continue using.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JT
Welcome to SR Milwife,

JT
((((((((((((((((JT)))))))))))))))) Ohhh thank you, I just love the way you put that JT

Patsy