Panic attack

Old 03-17-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Panic attack

I've been down with a virus this past week. It hasn't been too bad, but it's made me pretty tired. I've been getting home from work and falling into bed.

Last night I went to bed at around 7:00. Fell asleep just fine, but woke up at around 11:00 and almost instantly felt the oncomings of pretty significant panic attack. Heart racing, shallow breath, a fever-like heat spreading through my extremities, and an overwhelming sense that everything in my life was hopeless. It took all my will to keep from flipping out.

I know where it's coming from. A combination of the virus and all of the stress I've been under lately. My daughter just moved out, which is a good thing in some ways, but fraught with worry in others, and I don't think I'm quite ready for "empty nest syndrome" to set in. I thought I'd have my sh*t more together by now. I thought I'd at least have more friends to hang out with in her absence by this point. I think I'm just lonely. God that word sucks.

Anyway... I talked myself through the panic attack, (kind of proud of myself for that), and ended up sleeping fine the rest of the night. After years of being married to an alcoholic I guess I've gotten pretty good at riding out the storm when it comes to panic attacks. Still, I'm a little jittery going to bed tonight. I'm sure some of you out there have had one, and know how terrifying they can be.

So friends, please keep me in your prayers tonight, and wish me pleasant dreams. I'll wish the same for all of you.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup, had one out of the blue when my daughter was little. Was shopping in a large chain store and WHAMMO!! I had to leave the place immediately and it took quite a while to calm down. Hugs!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friend-I have SO been there. Many times. I know the feeling well and the last time was much like you mentioned-I was sick and my body was just worn down emotionally and physically. These attacks are awful. I will pray for you and truly hope your body and soul gets much needed rest!!
Old 03-18-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SK I am so sorry, I hate anxiety. I get panic attacks when I get sick. I guess that's the ultimate in loss of control lol.

There is nothing worse than waking up to one. When it happens to me I get up and move around till it subsides. I think empty nest is a really huge deal. Time to make a list of things you want to do and get on them.

Funny enough I came from a family of 4 children I was #3. When my oldest brother went to college my mother cried endlessly, and was a complete wreck for weeks!. When it came my time my sister had already gone, and my mom wasn't upset much at all with my sister. They drove me at 90 mph an unloaded at the speed of light, then BYE. For my youngest brother they hired a car service to transport. My point being that with each child leaving my mom gained back freedom. She opened a small business, she started traveling. She joined some clubs. She reinvented.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aww I got them too, they are the worst. Hope you got a good night sleep.

Oh - my way too short of a stint seeing a counselor was so beneficial to me for these... I ended up in her office because I went to my doctor thinking I had a heart attack - at 34. The doc said no, you had an anxiety attack, and i thought dang, I've had so many similar "vertigo" episodes through the years, I wonder if that's what it was all along. I told my doc, I am not an anxious person - it can't be. She really wanted to just prescribe me clamonzapam sp? I said no, i don't want to be on pills for this, and she said well, then you need to go talk to this lady - a counselor. Ok sure.

Went to the counselor and told her I was there because I don't want to be on pills for anxiety and that i really wasn't so sure I had anxiety - I think I had a small heart attack at 34 - I have high blood pressure so a heart attack made sense to me LOL!

The counselor told me that experts evaluated something crazy like 1000 activities, and tried to determine which activities lowered serotonin (i think it was serotonin) and they ranked them on a scale. Of the 1000 activities, there were only 3 that gave a measurable drop on serotonin.

1 - Excercize
2 - Meditation
3 - Spending time with pets.

My aunt gets them too - and my sister - and I could guess my mom, but she'll never say that haha. My aunt was a counselor - and she told me about breathing, and talking yourself through them - which it sounds like you did with success. I Hope this helps...they are miserable, but I haven't had one since I started spending ample time on 1, 2 and 3.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

firebolt.....serotonin is a neurotransmitter which contributes to feelings of well being.....Some antidepressants increase available serotonin...to relieve depression....
I don't know, but, I'll bet that your counselor was talking about cortisol levels which are increased in high anxiety states....
Cortisol levels are generally highest at the end of the 24hr. cycle....which is claimed, by some to account for early morning "terror" type dreams....where one wakes up with pounding heart and feelings of fear.....
(I have had that happen, on occasion)......

dandylion
Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^
What Dandy said.

Maybe she was talking about things that INCREASE serotonin to counteract the anxiety? Sorry - my memory of the science part is faded
Old 03-18-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

firebolt---I am sure THAT was what she was talking about....increasing serotonin.....
Those three things you mentioned DO increase serotonin......

One of my most soothing things is to take an afternoon nap with my cat on the pillow ...taking a prolonged bath--then going to sleep, one inch from my nose.....

dandylion
Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Thanks everyone. I did sleep better last night. This weekend I plan on taking care of myself, looking into some breathing exercises, yoga, meditation, maybe go for a walk. I need to stay on top of this.

At least the cat is doing his job. I couldn't wish for better. he's a twenty pound mama's boy. A whole lot of stress relief wrapped up in a fuzzy package. I'm sure I'd be a basket case without him.