New situation. . . .

Old 09-17-2004, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New situation. . . .

It's been a while since I've written only because I've found a way to detach myself from all negativity stemming from alcohol. Now, I'm faced with a new situation and not sure how to handle it. I'm wondering if this is the alcohol talking or if there's a problem beyond the alcohol.

My A has a thyroid problem. As you may know, he has to have his blood tested every year to make sure that his level of medicine is still appropriate for him. Yesterday was his appt. and he came home very upset. He was fighting back tears (unsuccessfully) telling me that the dr. said his appt. didn't go good and that he needed to go back in two weeks for more testing. He told me that the nurse was unable to draw blood from the vein in his arm. I asked him if it was because he had a bad vein or maybe she was a bad shot and he said "no" that there was little blood in his vein. He also told me that the dr. told him they'd take his condition one day at a time. Additional testing at his next appt. would give him more of an opinion. He also told me that he's lucky if he'd be alive in 6 months. I asked him if he was told this by the dr. He avoided the question. The rest of the night, he acted 100% different than he normally does. He was very affectionate, loving and wanted to do family things rather than watch TV which is his normal evening ritual. He couldn't give me any more specifics on the appt. or what he was thinking. I tried to call the dr. but without a release of information form, they weren't able to give me any information. I'm going to try to get the form signed by him but in the meantime I'm totally confused, lost and don't know what to do.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds bizarre - that would have to be a pretty diabolical plan, if he is lying - and to what avail? I don't know - could you conference call the dr with him on the phone? seems like your H would have some idea what the dr is alluding to? I don't know what to tell you - but am here for ya!
Old 09-17-2004, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi wishing,
None of us is guaranteed tomorrow. That is why we learn in recovery to live one day at a time. We try to enjoy each day to the fullest. Worry doesn't make bad things go away. All it does is ruin what we have right now. Even if my worst fears were to come true, I don't want to waste today miserable about it. Try to enjoy today. Hugs, Magic