Year of Lexie

Old 02-06-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Year of Lexie

A couple years ago one of my co-workers turned 50. We started joking about its being the "Year of John" because he had all these special things happening all year long--Hawaii vacation, fun things with his friends, etc.

Well, this is the year I hit the big Six-Oh (not until August). I had my fantastic trip to Morocco last year, and I have another cool vacation to Southeast Asia I'm considering, but probably not until next year (a bit pricy, though totally doable). So I've been trying to think what I could do THIS year that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg but would still be kind of special.

And I finally hit on it. I am going to take four days in NYC in April to attend a couple of Robert McKee's seminars on screenwriting. There is the three-day Story seminar, and a one-day seminar on writing for TV series--and the focus will be on my all-time favorite show, Breaking Bad. I booked a room with a very nice lady on AirBnB, something that will make this affordable. I've been wanting to try to learn screenwriting for a while but never have the time to focus on it. I've got a ton of ideas floating around but never took a class and I wind up going in circles when I've tried.

So having planned that, I thought I then need some quiet time to try to write. So I booked a week on Hatteras for Labor Day at a house across the street from the beach. I can relax, walk on the beach, and write. Not think about work or anything else.

In between the course in April and the trip in September I can start jotting notes and ideas. Maybe I won't get anywhere with it but I won't know unless I try.

Of course, every band in the world is announcing their summer tour schedule, so I've already bought tickets for a few of those, which will be little treats scattered over the course of the summer.

Makes turning 60 seem positively exciting!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

*****o Lexie! This sounds absolutely wonderful. I love the screenwriting course along with the beach house.

Are there any writers' groups around Hatteras in case the solitude gets too solitary?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is awesome, Lexie! I love to travel and was so inspired by your moxie with your trip to Morocco. I think these new plans will also be a wonderful, enriching way to get in touch with your creative side, meet new people, and have an adventure! Its a cliche, but I love New York! I lived in the NYC burbs a few years back and used to take the train into Manhattan and spend entire days just wandering around. So much to see! Hope you'll keep us updated!
Old 02-06-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I looked into some "writers' retreats" but I tend to go along with the thought I read somewhere that points out writers tend not to be all that sociable while they're writing. I write a lot for work (not creative-type writing), and that's pretty true for me.

I don't mind being alone--but I enjoy getting together with people on MY terms. When I want to take a break in Hatteras, I'll probably find some places where other people hang out and just play it by ear.

Yeah, I love NYC, too. I've already chatted both online and by phone with my host(ess) who is an artist and has this wonderful, quirky apartment filled with interesting things.

The place I'm going to in Hatteras will be just me--though the owner stops in now and then and she has great reviews for her pleasantness and helpfulness. Nice, inexpensive rental, not luxurious but just a short walk to the beach.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

60 is the new 40, didn't you hear??
Good for you!!! Enjoy!! I was in NYC early December and caught Carole King's Beautiful on Broadway. If you get the time while there, it was a great show.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All that sounds wonderful and it's so nice to read that you're embracing your b'day. I do also, but so many people I know dread it.

What part of the city will you be staying at? Also, I live in one of NYC's 'burbs and see a few Broadway shows a year and I'll second what Lilro wrote about Beautiful. Last week my wife and I saw Jersey Boys and I would recommend that also.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds lovely, enjoy.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

from what I have read and observed....it seems like many writers lean toward introversion.....

I was so shocked (and almost cried) when I saw an indepth interview with Gary Larson....who had long been my hero. I always told people that I would rather have dinner with Gary Larson than any other famous person. I imagined him to be articulate and funny, with a twinkle in his eye.....
The interviewer had to pull the words out of his mouth. He didn't smile at all, and he looked like he would like the ground to swallow him up! His wife said that he was very quiet at home and wan not funny in his everyday life......
What?!!

dandylion
Old 02-06-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds so cool, Lexie! I travel internationally extensively for work but always make sure I carve out a little "me time" to enjoy the many cultures and FOOD! To me, truly enjoying life is not about "stuff", it's about experiences and relationships.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I get up to NYC for shows every now and then, but won't have any time on this trip. The seminars run from 9 am to 8 pm, with an hour for lunch and a couple of breaks. So I'll be grabbing something to eat and heading back to sleep every night.

The show I really want to see right now is School of Rock. I loved the movie and the writer of the movie loves the show, so it should be pretty good. I've got a friend who likes to go see a show every so often, so we'll probably plan to hit at least one this year.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
I was so shocked (and almost cried) when I saw an indepth interview with Gary Larson....who had long been my hero. I always told people that I would rather have dinner with Gary Larson than any other famous person. I imagined him to be articulate and funny, with a twinkle in his eye.....
I met Gary Larson years ago, and from what I remember he didn't seem comfortable at all with the hyper-excited, thoroughly awestruck blonde who was pumping his hand up and down repeat "Oh my God, I'm so happy to meet you!!!"

I still haven't washed that hand.

Lexie, You're awesome. Such great, creative ideas. I want a year of Lexie.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ohhhhh that was so inspiring. I turn 50 next week and it's been such a tough few months and I was getting a bit down. There are so many things I want to do but all my friends work and can't do them due to time constraints. So I am going to book things and do them myself. Thanks for the inspiration! And a very happy birthday to you!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

what an awesome plan! way to go on making it all about YOU!

while not on MY bucket list, my daughter wants to attend each of the Triple Crown race tracks on their big 150th anniversaries....first one up is the Belmont in 2017. AND i'm invited! this would be our first trip back to NYC since the Ireland trip attempts and we won't need passports! (on our first attempt to get to Ireland she LOST her purse/passport the DAY of our departure......sigh).

guess at some point i'll need to figure out my OWN bucket list.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm going to the Kentucky Derby this year, too! We are doing a training in KY and our COO asked if they could manage to schedule it at Derby time. So our training is the following week, but a few of us are going early to catch the Derby. Seems like one of those things one should do once in a lifetime, I suppose.

No mint juleps for me, though--I'll have to settle for burgoo and other treats.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by FindingAmy View Post
Ohhhhh that was so inspiring. I turn 50 next week and it's been such a tough few months and I was getting a bit down. There are so many things I want to do but all my friends work and can't do them due to time constraints. So I am going to book things and do them myself. Thanks for the inspiration! And a very happy birthday to you!
I've gotten VERY fond of my solo adventures. I do some things with friends, but I enjoy some rather offbeat things, and I got tired of waiting to find someone up for them. I'm always meeting interesting people on my own, though, and I think that's sometimes easier to do when you don't have someone else occupying your time and attention.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Go Lexie!!! Happy for you and love reading of your travel. Live life, lady!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Awesome, Lexie! I travel internationally often for pleasure, usually by myself. I've never had a bad experience except for meeting that (unbeknownst to me) addict who became my gf. Haha.

I have done Southeast Asia a couple of times and found it very cheap. Not sure which country you have your sights set on, but both Thailand and Cambodia are beautiful and extremely reasonable.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by BDG4488 View Post
I have done Southeast Asia a couple of times and found it very cheap. Not sure which country you have your sights set on, but both Thailand and Cambodia are beautiful and extremely reasonable.
Actually, the trip I'm thinking of taking is Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. It's 19 days, and run by the same company I did the Morocco trip with last year--they were AWESOME. Very heavy on local cultural stuff--meals with local families, etc. I have a friend that's possibly interested in doing that with me but if she decides not to, I have no problem going alone. I hadn't traveled out of the country (except for Canada/Mexico) until three years ago. I went to Spain COMPLETELY on my own, and to Fiji on a work-related trip. Each trip I get a little more savvy, but for right now I'm finding the small group travel a bit less stressful. I loved Spain and managed fine, but I did waste a lot of time figuring stuff out that would have been simpler if I'd had someone to help. Travel is one of those things you just have to DO, I think, to get good at it.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree! I've been traveling solo since 2002 and it's my favorite way to travel. I take about 5 solo trips per year. As for Southeast Asia, I did Cambodia on my own and Thailand with 2 friends. I planned both itineraries.

I have moved away from booking tours with groups because I learned that I can do it myself (using a local tour guide) for far less money. For example, I booked my flight to Cambodia and then found a local tour company with good reviews on trip advisor. I booked a few day trips or 3/2s with that company. I booked all of my own stays. It was very cheap. For Thailand, I did the same. TripAdvisor makes it very easy.

This way, I get to meet interesting people and be part of a group when I want, yet I have the fun of sorting out when and how to get there - as well as being able to spend a day completely on my own when I want.

Many women don't think they can travel alone. It's simply not true. It's safe and very rewarding.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Lexie. There's so much power in your experiences!

I started doing trips to meet girlfriends in different cities (for runs, or spring training, etc)...but haven't yet done one solo. I love the sound of it.

And I LOVE the title- year of Lexie!!!