The Pigeon Page....

Old 09-16-2004, 03:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

The Pigeon Page....

"One beautiful day, a man sat down under a tree, not noticing it was full of pigeons. Shortly, the pigeons did what pigeons do best. The man shouted at the pigeons as he stormed away, resenting the pigeons as well as the offending material. But then he realized that the pigeons were merely doing what pigeons do, just because they're pigeons and not because he was there. The man learned to check the trees for pigeons before sitting down."

"Active alcoholics are people who drink. They don't drink because of you or me, but because they are alcoholics. No matter what I do, I will not change this fact, not with guilt, shouting, begging, distracting, hiding money or bottles or keys, lying, threatening, or resoning. I didn't cause alcoholism. I can't control it. And I can't cure it."

"I can continue to struggle and lose. Or I can accept that I am powerless over alcohol and alcoholism and let Al-Anon help me to redirect the energy I've spent on fighting this disease into recovering from its effects."

"Today's Reminder: It's not easy to watch someone I love continue to drink, but I can do nothing to stop them. If I see how unmanageable my life has become, I can admit that I am powerless over this disease. Then I can really begin to make my life better."

"'It stands to reason that a change in us will be a force for good that will help the entire family.'" (This last sentence if from the book "How Can I Help My Children?")

—————————

I originally typed this into a post, but I wanted to bring it out into the light and share with everyone because it is such a wonderful page.

Just another reminder that you can't fit a square peg into a round hole. It just doesn't work.

This excerpt is from the Alanon "Courage to Change" book on page 74 (which is also the March 14 daily reading)...

Last edited by shutterbug; 09-16-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

One of my favorite pages. For those who don't have this book, I highly recommend it.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

OH This is my all time favorite reading from Courage to Change, March 14. I quote it often to friends of mine in and out of the program... in fact, with one of my friends we just refer to him as "the pigeon". When he left, she was happy to inform me that he had FLOWN THE COOP.

It also reminds me of a saying my sponsor uses often: He's not doing it TO you, he's just doing it.

Hugs and love
Barb
Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

great thread and good reminder. another good one barbfrom your sponsor!

cwohio