Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

OT - The latest Johnny manziel story-it's playing out in the media

Old 02-05-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This guy-this totally enabled guy from a dysfunctional family-that just keeps him sick and refuses to believe the truth about their golden boy. And some in the media blaming the girlfriend for causing him to be the way he is and accusing her of making things up-there are now two incidents of her accusing him of hitting her. Having been in her shoes, I do have to say that I truly understand-truly. It's awful. And what is his response to all this? "I'm stable, I'm secure and safe-it didn't happen".....words from a pathalogical liar so they must be true. As unnerving and triggering it is to read about this idiot, it makes me happy to see it play out in the media. Johnny truly thinks he's fooling everyone-but he's only fooling himself. As many have said, even a former coach, he needs to ditch those keeping him sick-his friends and family.
Just sad story all around. Anyway, just my thoughts on this
Old 02-05-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Manziel is an idiot....and he's either defiant/spoiled like the Affluenza punk Ethan Couch, or completely pathological like Shkreli (The pharma boss who became infamous after hiking the price of an HIV-related drug by 5,000 percent) or just brain damaged like Ryan Leaf (football). or a mix of all the above.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

His father just stated that Johnny has refused to go back to rehab twice in the past week and he walked out of one facility, so his family is trying to help him.

His problems with alcohol go back to high school, from what I've read.

Hope he gets it before it's too late...
Old 02-05-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

^ his mother and father both threw him lavish parties with tons of booze-in high school. Turned a blind eye. His family has a history of alcoholism, among many other things. Maybe raising him to he am accountable human being would have helped-instead of supporting and enabling his ego and bravado. He only went to rehab earlier this year bc it was forced on him-he truly thinks he's fine.
I hope he gets better too.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I sure was glad to read in the paper that the Cowboys aren't going to go try to sign him. *whew*

One of our local sport commentators, Dale Hansen, has been known to say a few choice words about the NFL and especially the Dallas Cowboys, and the people they are willing to sign. Here's his opinion on Johnny Manziel.

Johnny Football will be the guy at the end of the bar, trying to tell people who he used to be, trying to tell people what he could have been, and trying to figure out why nobody cares anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Shpvh6uzg
Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I didn't like the way he painted the victim as "protecting" him, like it's somehow her fault that he's skating on this. We all know why victims do these things, and it is because of what the offenders are doing, not because of the victim's character.

Somehow I get the feeling she'll still wind up paying the price for his fall from grace.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
As many have said, even a former coach, he needs to ditch those keeping him sick-his friends and family.
Oh, I don't think he's "sick"--I think he's just your garden-variety abuser who's been lucky enough to have people ready to make excuses for his conduct.

Very few abusers are actually mentally ill. They suffer from a sense of entitlement, that's all.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

^ yep-and who taught them that! Stuff - the truth-usually doesn't come out until the breakup/divorce when it comes abuse. Because the abuser is so love able and charming that nobody believes the person that has been scared all those years. Anyway, hope the guy chooses to get help-for all his many issues.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^ Lexie-same reason I didn't press charges against my then husband.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FYI - I stuck an "OT" on the title of this thread to help peeps who log in from a smartphone with a very small screen.

Mike
Moderator, SR