what does this even mean?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what does this even mean?

I'm guessing quacking. Was hoping for a lucid moment when this text arrived. But I guess not.

Me: I would like for you to see DS when/if you are able to.

Him: I'm more stubborn than you. And I won't apologize for something I didn't do.

Him: That is dead and final. There is no negotiation on this

Me: I'm not asking you apologize. Just thought you might like to see DS. No hidden meaning.

Him: ok

Him: Nothing left to talk about till you deliver the papers

Him: You made your decision and you know how I feel about people shutting me out once I let them in my walls

Him: Gone baby gone

Ver-freakin-batim text convo. I guess that's a no. Feels strangely like debating with a drunk politician.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Quack-tastic, for sure.

My totally unsolicited ESH on this one is to stop texting him to initiate conversations. I have tried many times to shame my STBXAH into doing "the right thing" in certain situations. It never works, and frankly, do you want him to see your DS and begrudging the situation the whole time? Your DS deserves a dad who can be enthusiastically engaged with him.

It seems to me that your AH thinks he is punishing YOU by refusing to see your DS. If it were me, I would work very, very hard to control my compulsion to initiate contact with him. Tell him that in the event he changes his mind and wants to see his son, he should contact you, and that's that. Preferably in an email that you can produce in court should he allege that you were keeping DS from him.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great ideas. He had implied to a mutual friend last week that I didn't want him to see DS (naturally not true). Now I know I tried!

This is all a 180 from his daily phone calls and planning-to-keep-DS-half-of-the-time discussion that came shortly after separation.

Why oh why did I expect this to be simple.

When people show you who they are, believe them.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((HUGS)), HH. I'm sorry you and your DS are going through this. I have been relatively fortunate so far. My STBXAH has managed to stay relatively involved with our DS's life, although there have definitely been times when he has changed plans at the last minute. I don't take any of that for granted, though. I am very aware that as his disease gets worse, his presence in our son's life will become sporadic and less dependable.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hugs, Texas. Just dont engage-it's not up to YOU to make him want to be a parebt. That's his choice. You're doing great-and yes, that's one hell of a quack. I've heard it all before from my ex. These men are all alike.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Wisconsin's advice is perfect.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Irk HH, that is definitely quite the quack. In keeping with Wisconsin's advice you might email him your suggestion for him to spend time with DS. Emails are easy to keep in case AH accuses you of keeping DS from him. Your email could suggest he let you know when he would like to get together with DS. This puts the burden of the arrangement on him and proves that you are not keeping DS away.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
Hugs, Texas. Just dont engage-it's not up to YOU to make him want to be a parebt. That's his choice. You're doing great-and yes, that's one hell of a quack. I've heard it all before from my ex. These men are all alike.
I agree it's a quack, but I don't agree that you can generalize and limit the problem to men--plenty of women who have addiction aren't there for their kids either.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

^ agree!!! In no way was I trying to generalize about men-I mentioned that just having to do with referencing my ex doing the same thing as hers. That's all!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Debating with a drunk politician.. That made me giggle!

Agree, do everything by email so you have a hard copy of the conversation if needed. You may want to make a folder on your desktop and funnel all interaction with him into it for easy access.

You are doing great Texas. It's all about you and your son now. Keep on keeping on.
Ro