a little OT: I didn't get the promotion

Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a little OT: I didn't get the promotion

Don't know why I'm posting this here. Maybe cause you guys are easy to "talk to." I've applied for a small promotion at my job. Twice. I'm basically doing the job. Just don't get the title and pay (hel-lo I need the money). And despite great interviews, I didn't get it. Yet again. I could tell my manager was really bummed too (she's only 1/4th of the decision... panel interview). I put on a brave face but broke down in the car. I guess with the divorce, worries about having half an income, doing it all around here on my own, it just hit me hard. I work really hard and take a lot of pride in my dedication.

Kind of glad tomorrow is counseling. Thanks for letting me emote. Going to find something uplifting to read ♡♡
Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Laughing at the "emote" but feeling for you HH. It does seem like when you are doing something super brave and positive in life (as you are VERY much doing) that there should be some good juju coming your way but often it doesn't work that way - aaaarrrghhh!

If the uplifting literature doesn't work for you try some good escapism brain candy! Personally I like anything by Georgette Heyer on a bad day but everyone has their own flavor of escapism brain candy.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HHTexas View Post
... a little OT: I didn't get the promotion... Don't know why I'm posting this here....
Totally OnTopic as far as I am concerned. You are building a new life for yourself and dealing with work is a part of that. Please feel free to post here any time you want. This is what SR is for, and you are a wonderful example of what recovery is all about.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 02-02-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. That is disappointing. I read something on here once that's stuck with me. "If it's meant for you, it won't pass you by." Maybe this is the universe's way of keeping you free for a better opportunity in the future. Sending hugs your way.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HHtexas......Bummer!!!

dandylion
Old 02-03-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry its such a disappointment, and unfair if you are already doing the job anyway.

I'm with Lady, might be the universe giving you a nudge that there is a better opportunity out there for you. Perhaps its time to look for another job that will pay you what you are worth. IME when any door has shut (and sometimes slammed in my face) it ended up being a blessing.

((((hugs)))))
Old 02-03-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When Separated AH and I separated, I panicked that I was now a one income household. I left my job for more money. I was laid off after 2 months. I did not understand why at the time. I was so angry with God. Then, hearing I had been let go, my previous employer who I left hired me back at the higher rate and I also had ability to partially work from home at that job and be home with kids more. Being laid off helped me get more money and be with kids more. Your curse will turn into a blessing. Have faith. 🙂
Old 02-03-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I was getting ready to retire and applied for a job (very similar to the one I have now) and after nailing the first couple of interviews and doing what I thought was reasonably well at the third, I did not get the job. That same week (the week I actually retired) I got in my email the job announcement for THIS job. The "practice" on the first interviews helped me nail these interviews, and guess what. This job pays literally TWICE what the other one did, and I did not have to relocate to Washington, DC. I work from my home when I'm not traveling.

So am I glad I didn't get the first job? Damn straight!

Things work out as they should. You probably can't see it now but there are good things out there waiting for the right time to appear.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Many hugs my friend.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's so hard when you work so hard and take pride in your work and don't get the recognition or salary raise that is deserved (especially when you're doing the job already).

I second and third the idea that perhaps looking outside of your company for something new might be the way to go?

Sending you many hugs!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HH, I feel for you--it has to be disappointing. I'm going to jump on the wagon w/those here who have stories of how something that passed them by turned out to be for the better.

I left my job as a delivery driver/general roustabout at the bakery, which I loved--tons of autonomy, good people to work with, but no benefits whatsoever. I'd been keeping my eye out for something w/benefits, knowing in my heart that XAH would continue to sink and I'd eventually need to carry my own insurance. I applied to a job as a medical courier, which paid significantly more AND had great benefits. I got the job and literally days later I changed our legal separation to a divorce, having found out that surprise, surprise, XAH's most recent "recovery" was BS too.

Seems like things worked out perfect, right? Well, I started the job in early July and found that, altho my offer letter said I'd work noon to 8:30 PM, in reality, I would start any time between 4 AM and 4 PM, depending on what route I would be covering on any given day. A 12-hour freaking window? WTF! Well, nothing to do but go ahead and do my best. My schedule could and did change daily, often I had only a day's notice, I couldn't plan anything and after a while, my body never knew when to sleep, eat, anything, b/c I might get up at 6 AM one day and 10 AM the next. It sucked hard. I communicated w/my boss about the problems I was having, think I even posted briefly here about how glad I was to have my recovery tools b/c they allowed me to be calm and clear about things.

Moving ahead to November, I heard about a route driver who was retiring, applied for his position and got it. The route goes 2:30 to 11 (altho I generally skip lunch and punch out a half hour early). There is a ton of freeway driving, which has allowed me a bunch of time to listen to Brene Brown and a lot of other recovery/self-help material as well as just plain old entertainment-type stuff. AND--get this--it pays more than the sucky position! Not a lot more, but still, I'm in an income bracket where I'm not going to turn up my nose at $100 a month more....

So yeah, while I may not be at my dream job, I am surely in a much better place than I was in the beginning, when I was pretty sure I'd made a bad mistake. I really do hope something similar happens for you!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all! Feeling a teeny but better after some sleep. Money is my number 1 fear/stressor right now. But I'm trusting in God's plan for all of this. Keeping my eyes peeled for a promotion opportunity within the company (I work for a big corporate entity with a lot of divisions).
Old 02-03-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HHTexas View Post
But I'm trusting in God's plan for all of this.
Atta Girl, HH! Trust in Him. When one door closes another will open. This is only the beginning of a wonderful journey for you!