Shameless Mom Brag... :)

Old 01-28-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shameless Mom Brag... :)

My DD10 wrote an essay for school several weeks ago. All the kids had to. The theme was "I Have A Dream" and her class was told to write about a problem and a solution as part of their "I Have A Dream".

Today I got an email that her teacher decided she loved DD10's so much that a) she wants her to read it to the school at a school wide assembly tomorrow AND b) she has shared it with the Principal and wants to make DD10's idea come to fruition.

DD10 is bursting at the seams with pride and happiness and I am bursting all the more with joy for what a compassionate, loving girl she is, considering all she's been through...

DD10 has a heart of gold and it's not always that that is recognized as being as important as being the smartest, funniest, best sports player etc...

Anyway, I am always proud of my kids but tonight my heart is just bursting with happiness for her and I wanted to share her essay...

Old 01-28-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aw, what a great idea 😊 She has such a kind heart. She had to learn it somewhere!
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To be totally honest, my little codie brain part of me worries sometimes about DD10 caring TOO much about others but that's me putting my codie dysfunction on her which is nutty...

I have decided that it's perfectly wonderful for her to grow up caring about others just as long as she also learns to set boundaries for her own well being...

My problem was that I was raised ONLY to care about others feelings and raised to think my own feelings were wrong and insignificant... For a long time I worried that having a compassionate kiddo meant she was doomed to my same patterns, but she has a great combination of compassion and slowly, with therapy and support at home, is learning to also care for her own needs too...

So, Im celebrating her compassion that is also tempered with some really good and ever increasing ability to care about herself just as compassionately as she cares for others...
Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's fantastic! Made me all teary eyed Sounds like she has a lovely balance of compassion and self care. Her idea isn't that she is going to "fix it " for the lonely kids - she is looking to her classmates to help each other.

So lovely and truly brilliant in its simplicity. It would be so awesome if her school did this as a pilot. I can understand why you are so proud of her! Kudos to mom too - she knows mom is the one who helped her understand this need.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is absolutely a necessary balance needed between the two. I'm slowly learning this now as an adult - greatly because of what I am experiencing and have experienced with my AH.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Greeteachday- that's exactly it... you said it better than I could.. I love that she isn't trying to just "be nice" and make it all better-- I LOVE that she came up with a solution and wants others as well as herself to act compassionately and as a community and be kind to others-- and of course the kids who might be sad or lonely or need to talk (and DD10 has been that kid at times as have we all) have to make some effort too in order for others to help... They seek out the space to be in that is dedicated to letting others know they need the support, and they trust that others will come and offer it..

Of course DD10 wasn't thinking this deeply about it-- I think she just came up with this sweet, compassionate idea... But there's a lot to be said for it isn't there?

So proud of her...
Old 01-28-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I had the biggest grin on my face reading that. She not only notices what she considers a problem, but she also puts forth a suggestion to solve it. Sounds like she is going to be a leader. Good going, D10 and good going to you, proud Mama!!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome momma! You are teaching and leading by example!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Totally awesome--TOTALLY. You have every right to be kvelling (anyone who doesn't know Yiddish, look it up!).

You can tell your daughter a whole bunch of people who never met her admire her for her compassion and problem-solving skills. I know in my line of work we depend on women JUST LIKE HER every single day.

Maybe you want to hook her (and/or her school) up with this outfit: The Kind Campaign.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
She sounds like an amazing person. I can see why you're so proud of her.

I think some of us adults could use a bench like that as well.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not shameless at all, wanttobehealthy; you have every reason to be proud of your daughter.

Be proud of her mother, too.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That made me cry, what an amazing display of empathy. I love that she's thinking "globally" in terms of a solution that fits her little world. I love even more that they are making such a big deal out of this for her!!
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What an absolutely fabulous idea!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I think that it is a brilliant idea and that your DD is an awesome kid
Old 01-28-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That is so cool! What an awesome DD you have, and what a proud mama moment. I hope you can post a pic of that bench when they have it installed!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Aww that's amazing. She's a genius! A lot of adults wouldn't come up with a solution like that. She sounds so sweet and caring. I would also love to see a photo of the bench when it is installed! It's such a fantastic idea (I think every school should have one).
Old 01-29-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Totally awesome--TOTALLY. You have every right to be kvelling (anyone who doesn't know Yiddish, look it up!).

You can tell your daughter a whole bunch of people who never met her admire her for her compassion and problem-solving skills. I know in my line of work we depend on women JUST LIKE HER every single day.

Maybe you want to hook her (and/or her school) up with this outfit: The Kind Campaign.
I had never heard of the kind campaign and just quickly before work looked at the site-- I am totally sharing that site with her school and going to peruse it more at lunch! Thanks!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I think that it is a brilliant idea and that your DD is an awesome kid
I agree-- she is one amazing kiddo! So loving and kind and not yet cynical and hardened by the world like her mom

Got to admit that her sweetness and the innocence of this simple yet powerful idea has really reawakened the side of me that LOVED fighting to make things better for others that I sort of let get squelched by xAH over the years...

He made me feel like I was crazy and naive for having these kind of beliefs and I felt like I had lost that side of me but apparently Ive somehow instilled it in my kiddos anyway...

DD and I are going to meet with the Principal next week to propose a plan to build this and my boss at my own job wants to build one at our school too...

My heart is bursting with pride for my DD
Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
She sounds like an amazing person. I can see why you're so proud of her.

I think some of us adults could use a bench like that as well.
I totally agree! I could use a place to sit on like this on those days I feel like crap... I guess this message board is a virtual bench of sorts for us all isn't it
Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

She is brilliant, and you should be so proud! What a compassionate and kind child!

My DD is 10 and we have been talking about this recess issue lately as she is having a small struggle right now. I love this idea, I love that your daughter did this as her paper, and I love that you have to feel so good about all of this.

Wonderful, just wonderful my friend!