Recovery at work

Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery at work

Today I provided feedback to someone, who wanted to give me feedback on the feedback that he received, rather than understand the feedback. I felt frustrated that he was missing the point entirely because he was so defensive. As I relayed this to my supervisor, he put it concisely - and it was just the message I needed at that moment - Let it roll.

All at once I realized I was taking the employee's reaction personally when all I really needed to do was document that we had the discussion and preserve the emotional juice in my tank. (For the sake of keeping my job I did not explain my complicated psyche!! )

As my recovery from booze and codependency evolve, I find it enriching all areas of my life. My body and mind are healthier without alcohol, my relationships have more appropriate boundaries, and, yes, even work is improving. A couple years ago when I first stated on this recovery journey I would have simultaneously held a grudge against the employee for not listening and felt low about myself for being too harsh.

Performance conversations aren't easy. As I conduct more of them I'll learn to be a better listener. I can't control what others do with their performance feedback, but I can say what I mean but without saying it "mean."

I've got a long way to go, but I'm more teachable than I used to be, and that sure is paying off!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice job there Glee!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree - recovery has enhanced my life in all areas. Love these breakthrough moments, way to go!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you, a great realization!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Recovery at work! Yes! Me too...

I have been trying to apply not taking what others think of me personally... and to make amends right away... to take responsibility for what I am responsible for, without expectation that the other person will reciprocate. And in doing so, already my working relationship with this one co-worker in particular has improved. I still do not agree with most of what she does, but I keep to my side of the street, and voila! No more work conflict! lol