Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 1

Old 01-25-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

The moon got to many of us this weekend, eh? It was spectacular Saturday night; we were at an outside music festival seeing one of my bucket list bands, standing right at the edge of the mosh pit... amazing energy.

Also happy that someone reached out to me IRL because I "speak al-anon" & that made her feel comfortable enough to say something. I guess my recovery is showing, lol!

So happy & grateful for space heaters, fuzzy socks & extra blankets. I love that our cats are such cuddle-monsters but when 4 large Maine Coons & a Siamese (who's not exactly tiny) decide to all cuddle at the same time, a king sized bed suddenly seems very small.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Speaking of cuddle-monsters, I never knew that dogs could be so great to sleep with (does this even sound right?) . . . Who needs an electric blanket when you have a K9 heater? Even his coat picked that baking soda scent and he smells so good.

I am grateful for my pup. Again and again.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

FOUR Maine Coon cats, FS?!?! Holy cow!! I only ever knew ONE, and she was a force of nature in and of herself--I can't imagine FOUR of them, plus a Siamese to boot...

And yes, Healthy, I sleep w/my houndies too and they are so soft and warm and cuddlesome. When it's cold out, they press up tight against me and we sleep in a big pile of mammals--I love it!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
When it's cold out, they press up tight against me and we sleep in a big pile of mammals--I love it!
Yes! It is funny how he presses up tight. I could not believe it at first. This is my first dog, and he is an ACD mix (adopted this breed by accident), but there is nothing in the word that would separate me from my hell hound. I feel so safe and well protected.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Yes, 4. Three of them are litter-mates & act like 3 parts of the same cat. One of them has insanely long, long hair. They are 23, 20 & 17 lbs - the "baby" coon landed on our doorstep a year ago, lost & sick in the woods & about 4 wks old. He's now hitting about 12-13 lbs & hasn't hit his growth spurt yet - they have a delayed spurt typically, around 2-3 yrs old. They are the most lovable, happy bunch. They hug & groom each other, spoon together to nap, etc. They "taught" our other cats this dynamic & people are always commenting on how they are not like any other pets, they are a Family themselves & with us.

In addition to the Siamese, we have 3 identical, solid-black cats that are on the lower side of average, like 8-9 lbs. (8 cats total) So I am guessing that with myself & RAH's-almost 200 lb frame, there was also approx. 75-85 lbs of cat sharing my bed last night.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

FS, this made me remember something: When I was a kid, I used to "let the cats cover me."

When our evening chores were finished and everyone else had gone up to the house, I was usually the last one to leave. The light switches were all on the ceiling between the mangers, and I'd walk between the 2 rows of cow heads as they ate, turning off the lights. Sometimes, when that was done and it was dark and quiet except for cow noises, I'd lay down on the ground between the mangers. Slowly the barn cats would come, one by one, and lay on me b/c I was a warm surface. I can almost feel again their feather-light footsteps (these were barn cats, maybe 5 lbs for a big tom and the rest smaller) and the warm spots they made on my body when they laid down, and hear the purring start up one cat by one cat...

The peace and comfort I got from this were so precious, in a place where there was very little of either to be had.

I hadn't thought about "letting the cats cover me" in a long time--thanks for reminding me of this.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Today I am happy and grateful that Joann Fabrics has all Simplicity sewing patterns on sale for $1 each. Woo hoo!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

So happy that we know our water guy/plumber really, really well. When I opened this month's salt delivery bill & saw the proposal to fix some system leaks I was a mix of emotions - happy to have someone I trust checking this stuff so I'm not getting hit with a big, expensive surprise; irritated at yet ANOTHER household repair, etc. Woohoo to see the note at the bottom: Don't worry about this, have RAH call me because I have some work I need done too - we can totally barter this!

Last week I said a few times that I REALLY needed to get to the local discount store & stock up on some cereal - DD & I are cereal hounds & go through a ton. A random shopping trip to a different store & they are clearance-pricing an entire section of cereal. I walked away with 45 boxes of cereal for $23.40. Yes, you read that correctly. 45 boxes @ 52 cents each.

Yesterday a client dropped in just to hug me & thank me for helping her stay strong through many talks. Long story but she finally woke up & left the abusive relationship she got into a year ago & saved herself before she lost herself in it. There was a LOT of red flags flying with him so I wasn't surprised when she announced that low & behold, she'd found out he was an Alcoholic! Their divorce is nearly complete & I pointed out to her that she is acting stronger than she ever talks about herself - does she see now that she IS capable, IS strong, IS worthy? Shock, then.... awe. Yes, I AM different now, in a better, stronger way. What a beautiful moment to witness her accepting that about herself for the first time, I feel blessed to be a part of it!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

*****, FireSprite! What a load of wonderful, positive things to hear! Thanks for this big charge of happy stuff on this gray Wisconsin AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Incredibly grateful over the past several days that STBXAH happens to be in an "up" part of his usual cycle with his disease. His dog continues to deteriorate and have issues, and STBXAH has generally been handling it responsibly and with his dog's best interests at heart. I've stayed informed, because I adore this dog and miss him terribly, but thus far I haven't had to get overly involved to advocate for an elderly dog in the face of a crazy, alcoholic's denial and ridiculousness. STBXAH seems to be looking out for the dog's best interests all on his own, which is a huge relief.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Grateful for an awesome night with DS6. After homework and dinner we played a board game and had a blast. Got the bedtime routine going a little earlier and had some extra reading time too. Had tons of fun laughing our way through Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Grateful to DS14 for lending me his "selfie stick" so I was able to take a Kardashian Kaliber (OK, maybe not quite) selfie as my new dating profile pic. One of my dates commented that I was much prettier in person because I was smiling. So out with the Grim Reaper, let's get this over with, first attempt at a selfie pic and in with my killer smile and new hairstyle. Once I got over feeling totally ridiculous, it was actually kind of fun.
Grateful that I now have the ability to get over myself and have fun in life.
Grateful for my awesome Spring Anniversary co-chair. She's just so lovely and lively. She came into the program just a few months after I did and has absolutely blossomed. Her joy in life is infectious.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I started "A Little Book of Recovery." It is a tiny art journal. I have never been extremely verbal, but I can draw how I feel. I'll be doing a drawing a day and illustrate the recovery phrases. Got the idea last night.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

This may sound odd, but I'm glad I don't always have time to get my kitchen totally straightened up again after cooking--in fact, only about half the time do I actually get all the dishes done, counters and stove wiped off, etc. It makes it look that much nicer when I DO get it all cleaned up, and I really appreciate my space!

It came to me the other day that when XAH was here, I had no space whatsoever that was mine and only mine. He had the model airplane studio/drinking lair as well as most of the garage that was his domain alone, but everything else was jointly inhabited space. No wonder I've been feeling so happy about having "a room of my own", as it were!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

And today I'm grateful for $5 Tuesdays at the fancy movie theater near my home. The whole theater has been upgraded to reserved seating in full size recliners. DS and I went to see Star Wars there tonight (second time for both of us). I had a $5 reward saved up on my movie rewards card, and they also give out free small popcorns on Tuesdays to rewards card holders. So we saw a movie and ate popcorn for a grand total of $5.

Tuesdays are usually DS's night with STBXAH, but we swapped Tuesday and Wednesday this week so STBXAH can monitor his dog closely tonight (the vet has the dog on a high powered antibiotic). So it was a rare occasion that I could take my little guy to a movie, since it is VERY unusual for us to go to a full priced movie. We had a great time, and left half an hour early because he didn't want to see "the sad part."
Old 01-26-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I am grateful for my tiny home which is all (and truly more) than I need.

Grateful that my health has been better recently.

Grateful for some support I have received here recently at SR.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I am so grateful for whatever little voice prompted me to get out my yoga DVDs, which have not seen the light of day for a couple of years at least, and put on a 20-minute AM session w/Rodney Yee today.

Holy cows, I cannot believe how good it felt, on so many different levels! It was just amazing. Words fail me. Just the right thing at just the right time. This is definitely being incorporated into the daily routine, starting NOW.

I have mostly Rodney Yee, and mostly ooooolllldddd--like 20 years ago. I actually love Rodney, but I'd also love to hear some suggestions from any yoga-doers here. My local library, which has always partnered w/all other libraries in this county, recently joined w/another county, so the selection of yoga DVDs should be huge now (it was always extensive).
Old 01-27-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Oh I love Rodney Yee! I have one of his that's 5 different 20 minute workouts. It's called Yoga For Your Week or something. I also have The Firm Power Yoga- It's old, but a really good vinyasa flow workout.
Grateful that I remembered to thaw and start brining my chicken on Monday so it's ready for tonight's dinner.
Grateful that after much searching I finally found butcher's twine at the grocery store.
Grateful that I get to go relax in a long, hot shower and wash my hair right now.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Today I am so hugely grateful to have such a wonderful boss. It has been an epic crap-storm of a morning here at work (which is very unusual...I absolutely love my job, and have very few super awful days). But my boss...he has my back every step of the way. I am so, so lucky.

I'm also glad to have been able to use my lunch break to pop down to Joann Fabrics to take advantage of the sewing pattern sale. I picked two patterns for my former neighbor, and two patterns for DD16, who will be using them to make one of her costumes for the anime convention in March. $48 worth of patterns for $5.79, including tax.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

LS, I have that same yoga video and I like it a lot too!

Wisconsin, you are a sewing AND bargain-finding diva!!
Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Grateful for great family. Again! When life is hard and there are struggles, they are rock solid, even when they are going through it too.