Introduction - Human touch needed!!!

Old 09-12-2004, 02:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introduction - Human touch needed!!!

Hi just a quick introduction...I have been in my current relationship for approx 6 years and my partner is definately an alcoholic and can't go a day without having grass. I love him dearly but feel that things are spiralling out of control. My previous relationship of 10 years was with a sober alcoholic who attends AA and I have previously been to Al-anon meetings. However, being in a regional area it is hard to get to meetings so here I am reaching out over the internet.

In short I am sick of the drunken abuse and dread the sound of the beer caps about midday and having a drunken staggering abusive partner by 6pm. Finances are under great strain and am looking at refinancing to cover the debt but apart from wanting to put the tangible parts of my life back in order I really need to attend to my emotional needs. In part I am just looking for a little touch of humanity to enter my life to give me the confidence to stop being a crutch to an ill person, to have compassion and to look after me and stop looking out for my partner. If he falls then he will have to pick up the pieces, his 11 year old son has already left our house to live with his mother because of the drinking and I feel good that he is in a safe enrironment even though I dislike his mother...

Anyway "HELP"
Old 09-12-2004, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Stancy-

Welcome to Sober Recovery!!! We are glad you made it. I am looking forward to geting to know you.

It seems like you know the drill. It is good that you have a 12 step background. As you well know you have to take care of yourself in a situation like yours. I believe you can do what you need to do. You sound like a smart person.

All of us here are on your side. Keep posting and reading. There is lots of good info in the stickie post at the top of this forum. ((((((BIG HUG))))))) coming your way!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome to SR Stancy! Make yourself at home. We are here 24/7 and the coffee is always hot!

Hugs,
JT
Old 09-12-2004, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. I am taking some positive steps and the first one for myself is to reach out. I am only new to the forum concept and have been posting for a couple of months on a stepfamily forum which I have found an invaluable source of support and guidance, so I am looking forward to sharing my experience and reading others experience on this site. I have also contacted Al-anon here in Aus and am hoping to receive a reply back today, as I can't get to the only meeting that they have where I live because it is held during work hours and is a little difficult to get to so I am hoping to get some support over the web.

As for today of course my partner has awoken full of guilt and remorse but I have to let go and let god and stop being the crutch in this relationship. I really need to stop trying to control the situation and disengage and focus on myself.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Internet is an invaluable source for support. For me, it was a secret way to get help when I lived at home. I could never get out for Alanon meetings or ACOA meetings without telling my mom. I went years using email groups and Internet forums until I finally realized I needed a face to face meeting.

Come here often!! Everyone is great!
Old 09-12-2004, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Stancy welcome to SR. We are glad you are here. There are alot of good and wise people and I am sure you will be hearing from them. In the mean time keep reading and posting it has helped me alot and I know it will help you.