9/11

Old 09-11-2004, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

9/11

I remember watching the Today show September 11, 2001. I remember seeing the first smoke from tower 1. I remember the confusion and fear in everyones voices as they looked on. I called my mom. Her cable was out and she hadn't heard. I told her that they thought it might be an attack. As I was talking to her, the second plane hit. My heart sunk. I stayed on the phone with my mom for the next while. She asked me if I was going to work that day. I told her I was.

As I climbed in the shower to get ready for work, I heard the announcement that the pentagon had been hit. I felt like I had been hit in the stomach. before I left for work, I saw the towers come down.

I listened to the radio on the way to work. I remember the eerieness as I passed by the busiest airport in the world and there were no planes. Funny how you take planes for granted until they're not there.

The following days and weeks brought a spectrum of emotions. Fear, sadness, anger, pride, loss, gratitude.

No matter what we believe, where we come from, how much or how little we have, we were all touched by the events of September 11, 2001. Let us all never forget.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sdp

I had just started a new temp job the day before.
On 9/11, I was sitting in a training room when the trainer came in and said the pentagon was hit.
The rest of the day I really had no clue what was going on. No internet access or anything.
This place was near Ohare airport. When I would go outside for a cigarette, I saw the planes in line to head into the airport. Freaky.

Left about 2:30. My car battery was dead, so I needed a jump. Then on the way home, my trunk opened... Then the hood opened (only a little, thankfully)

Also thankfully, no one I personally knew was in the towers or pentagon, although my brother lived in Pittsburgh, and I was not sure where the plane in PA landed. Also, my friend's siter worked for Merrill Lynch in, I thought, NY, but she was across the river(bay?) in NJ.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by Magichappens
The following days and weeks brought a spectrum of emotions. Fear, sadness, anger, pride, loss, gratitude.

No matter what we believe, where we come from, how much or how little we have, we were all touched by the events of September 11, 2001. Let us all never forget.

I remember being at work and my boss saying come in here as he had the TV on we all gazed in shock with that pang in our stomachs......and knowing my friend Kevin was @ work in the first tower right where the plane hit near the 105th floor where he was-and yes Magic that sinking feeling in your heart- and as the days went on .....I do feel this is one of those things in all of our lives that will just not ever get easier-and we "WILL NEVER FORGET"

Let us all never forget-
Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

I was working in a garage that morning.
You know, five mechanics fixing cars. A small black and white TV in the reception area, by the coffee maker. Around nine o'clock I guess, the boss comes in the back and says... Guys, come here quick.
For the rest of that day, the five of us carried on, in absolute silence.
Not a word was spoken in that garage until the next day.
Five hard nosed, hard drinking grease monkeys in Northern Ontario were silenced.
I still shiver, when I think of what happened in America that morning.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was working for an engineering firm that fall.
We had just moved into new office space, and as a result of a moving glitch, we were without phones and internet capability.
I was walking through the Conference Room and saw five or six people staring blankly at the TV. That TV was never used for anything but business purposes. When I found out what they were looking at, I joined them with the blank stare.
The film footage from New York was hard enough to take.
When the news came in about DC and Pennsylvania, I started to lose my grip.
Those two places were way too close to home.
I spent the rest of the day with one scary thought in my head.
I no longer felt safe in a country I had felt safe living in all my life.
A month later, on October 11, 2001...I was with my Father when he took his last breath.
The fall of 2001 was all about loss to me.
Prayers and light to all of those who lost loved ones on that tragic day three years ago.
May we never, ever forget.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was at work at the Post office that day. I was still on the day shift then and we were on break at 9:15am. We had TV's in the break room that have CNN. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. We saw the second plane hit, we saw the towers collapse, we were all devistated. We didn't do any work that day at all. Even the supervisors were in there watching the TV's with us. Most of us were crying. Even the Postmaster was in there with us. I had the next two days off and I just watched TV crying. There were special church services that I attended, too. I just never thought that something like that could ever happen to us. All those innocent lives taken. All those people wanted to do was go to work that day. I think what touched me the most was the plane that crashed in PA. They knew that plane was targeted for Washington and they were so courageous to try to take on the hijackers. They were true heroes. They knew either way they were going to die, and they weren't going down without a fight.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just another Addict

I was out walking the dog. Coming home a neighbor had told me that the towers were hit. I thought, "what a sick joke". Turned the T.V. on and there it was before my eyes. Ohh, the heart wrenching views I saw before my eyes. I thought it could never happen to us. But it did. My stomach was a endless pit filled with agony and saddness. I thought to myself, "what will come from this?" Then anger hit! This cannot happen in America. Why? For what? What did we do that deserved such awful cruelity? We did nothing. We are free and that threatens the terriorist. My heart hurts for the people that lost loved ones. I didn't have to endure such pain. I lost Americans. God given people to this nation. You know Christ said, "Forgive them Father for they do not know what they have done." I guess we should pray for such people but ohhh how hard it is to do so. I am sorry to all who have suffered such a loss, that I will never understand.

God bless,
Michaela

N.Y. -- I love you!

Old 09-11-2004, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I was freelancing at the Toronto Sun, a major newspaper and saw a large group of reporters running down the hall to the media room, where they were connected to UP and all the major new agencies. The publisher, got on the elevator with me and told me to come into his office where he had a TV and we watched as the second tower got hit.

I remember the horror and how surreal it all seemed and I don't remember crying but tears were streaming down my face and I just watched and watched in shock. I vividly remember the thought that ran through my head "the world will never be the same". And as the Pentagon was hit and then the plane crashed in Pennsylvania I remember that horrible feeling of waiting and wondering when it would be over, when it would end.

To all my American friends, I want you to know that this Canadian will never forget that day and never forget those who died, those who rescued and those who lived through the horror. My love and my prayers go out to each one of them.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-11-2004, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning

By Alan Jackson

Where were you when the world stopped turnin'
that September day?
Out in the yard with your wife and children;
Or working on some stage in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Rising against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children
that lost their dear loved ones?
Did you pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble
and sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out in pride for the red white and blue
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer?
And look at yourself for what really matters?

(Chorus)
I'm just a singer of simple songs;
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference
in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is Love.

Where were you when the world stopped turning
That September day?
Teaching a class full of innocent children;
Driving down some cold interstate?
Did you feel guilty 'cause you're a survivor
in a crowded room did you feel alone?
Did you call up your mother and tell her you love her?
Did you dust off that bible at home?

Did you open your eyes hope it never happened;
And close your eyes and not go to sleep?
Did you notice the sunset the first time in ages;
Or speak to some stranger on the street?
Did you lay down at night and think of tomorrow;
Go out and buy you a gun?
Did you turn off that violent old movie you're watchin'
And turn on "I Love Lucy" reruns?

Did you go to a church and hold hands with some strangers?
Stand in line and give your own blood?
Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family
Thank God you had somebody to love?

(Chorus)
I'm just a singer of simple songs;
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference
in Iraq and Iran
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith, Hope and Love are some good things He gave us
And the greatest is Love.