What have you done for YOU lately?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What have you done for YOU lately?

It's that time of year - all kinds of extra activities & responsibilities & obligations. I have absolutely noticed that I've been de-prioritizing myself without even realizing it - things just get in the way & before you know it skipping a workout turns into a missed week of workouts. One junky dinner turns into 3 & leads to your daughter asking you to please just make salads for dinner tonight, lol.

So I promised myself this morning that over the next few days I will force myself to put myself back into the mix, closer to the top of the list. After all, if I'm not getting oxygen.......
  • Last night I slapped on a homemade face mask while I set up the village under our tree.
  • Today I left my workout clothes laid out on my bed so that when I get home it's zero effort to switch gears.
  • Yesterday I stocked up on some healthier food options - we're already getting overwhelmed with cheesecakes & treats.
  • This morning I got overwhelmed looking at my Friday tasks so I sat down & did some breathing exercises before jumping in.
  • I went back to my old process of having a "2-Do" list instead of a "to-do" list - meaning each day I focus on the 2 most important tasks & only add more items to the list after they are completed..... and I'm getting real about writing down ALL that I am doing in a day. At the end of the day I am always surprised by what I have accomplished instead of being disappointed about what I didn't!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have absolutely noticed that I've been de-prioritizing myself without even realizing it - things just get in the way & before you know it skipping a workout turns into a missed week of workouts. One junky dinner turns into 3
Story of ma life!

I have been really diligent about food and exercise for the last few month. It feels SO GOOD. I have been volunteering - believe it or not, that is FOR ME too.

I've toned back the retail therapy, and have been spending time with and helping my family a lot. It's Christmas time, I would normally buy myself something nice, but this year, the 'for me' feels better when it's for others. Don't get me wrong, I'll have a new pair of John Fluevog shoes FOR ME come Valentines day but right now, i'm all about health and service.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The biggest thing lately is just doing small acts purposely to commit to self care. I've always been a runner and love any kind of exercise...and after an awful and terrorizing divirce I got back into the swing of things - I've gotten faster and stronger since my divorce. Some friends and I signed up for the 100 mile challenge recently. Basically you pledge to log 100 mils of physical activity from thanksgiving Day to Christmas Day. I'm at 52 miles of running in the last two weeks. Loving pushing myself like this....and I think I'm going to stick with this routine. My mind is sharper and body stronger.
And FS-I too love putting on face masks and just chilling-only time it bothers anyone is when I forget and answer the front door I have a Dead Sea mineral mask that you must try!!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
And FS-I too love putting on face masks and just chilling-only time it bothers anyone is when I forget and answer the front door I have a Dead Sea mineral mask that you must try!!
Do tell...... I make most of my own - local honey, lemon, cinnamon & coconut oil.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm getting real about writing down ALL that I am doing in a day. At the end of the day I am always surprised by what I have accomplished instead of being disappointed about what I didn't!
I just recently read about this practice and it makes SO much sense! I think I'll have to give that a try!

And yep, the 1 "splurge" dinner turns into 2 turns into a week of unhealthy food that I really don't even enjoy all that much, truth be told...

Right now, I have given myself permission to use a clean coffee cup every AM rather than recycling yesterday's if I haven't washed it yet. It's tiny. It's minuscule. But it's a thing. And I'm doing it.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Fire!!
A 2-Do list is what I definately needed! Not a to-do. This girl here wakes up in the am with my head spinning of all the things I need to accomplish THAT DAY! I'm going to slow it down a bit before I crash and burn!
What have I done for myself??? Well, first off I got rid of that 220 pound monkey on my back that I've been carrying around with me for the last five years! That my dear is a MAJOR accomplishment! I always set aside 1 night a week for myself to do my "beauty" treatments...in the last month I have painted my dining room, made one of those chalkboard signs for my living room, painted my kitchen and installed new door hardware, hung my Christmas lights ( all this home improvement stuff is therapy for me ). I'm glad to report that IT IS ALL ABOUT ME these days!!
Thank you for asking!
Xoxo Ro
Old 12-11-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you like that - the 2-Do was one of my favorite takeaways from a business coaching experience that I once had, it changed the tone of that list immediately.

..... and I'm getting real about writing down ALL that I am doing in a day. At the end of the day I am always surprised by what I have accomplished instead of being disappointed about what I didn't!
Just to expand - this really helped me to cut myself some slack. I often "forget" about all the little things that take my time & energy. At the end of the day I could be fully exhausted & wonder HOW since I didn't get anything done? Once I started looking at EVERYTHING - every grocery store trip, meal cooked, chore completed, library trip, etc. it opened my eyes a lot wider & helped tremendously with my self-acceptance.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a lot of nice down time over the Thanksgiving weekend. We have been go-go-going this month, though, and I need to make sure I'm practicing adequate self care. I went out to Lush today to buy some bath bombs as stocking stuffers (it's the "high rent" item that each kid gets in his or her stocking in addition to things like new toothbrushes and magazines), and I made sure to buy one for myself, just as a splurge.

I also talked with my girls about Christmas--we are really dedicated to starting new traditions this year, and we all agreed we will NOT be doing a "traditional" Christmas dinner. The girls want...pot roast! Done and done. That will make Christmas great. I love to cook, but the expense of a big traditional meal was starting to weigh on my mind, and my oven in my new place isn't reliable enough to do a good job on a turkey.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Took my car to the car wash,got it the works.

Went to an A.A meeting...

Got organized to have my bathroom painted.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got a massage on Wednesday!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Went to the dentist for my toothache that has been nagging at me for days now (only got 4 hours' sleep night before last). Bad news: yet another extraction. Good news: I am taking the day off as a sick day (feeling a bit queasy as I typically do after one of these things). They gave me percocet, and fortunately I don't like the way pain meds make me feel, so I have no trouble with them. Not even remotely tempting. I generally take them the first day, then switch to ibuprofen and throw away the rest.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Started a Registered Retirement Savings Portfolio for myself.

Have been buying incredible Bio Dynamic Beef lately.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bio Dynamic Beef
This sounds like a superhero!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's awesome Beef, Organic Grain fed and I watch them graze and eat REAL Grass in the fields right in front of the house where I work.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think it is the daily little things that make me the happiest. One example is that I love good scents! I love pretty scented candles, Bath and Bodyworks plug-ins and perfume. I have been stocking up on these items as they usually go on sale around this time of year, but on top of that, I have made a point of coming into the house and lighting my candles right away, so that the aroma fills the air quickly and makes for a warm, inviting atmosphere. A good tip, to smell expensive without having to spend a frightful amount for a whole bottle of perfume is to buy sample vials of a lot of different scents on ebay for a fraction of the cost! I also buy local handmade scented soaps that make my shower extra special. These things make me feel like I live a luxury life without breaking the bank. Good thread, Firesprite!!
Old 12-11-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got an eye exam and a new pair of glasses after 7 years. Then I went to dentist and had me teeth cleaned. No cavities. I purchased a health insurance policy for 2016 and dental insurance as well. I got a new computer (now that was my joint x-mas and b-day present to myself). I do not work long hours anymore, I sleep like a baby (a good little tired baby who does not wake up at night), I eat better as I am trying to put on some weight.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Wisconsin...just an FYI. YouTube has a video to show you how to make those bath bombs...looks easy breezy!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh Firesprite, I love this thread.

Taking care of myself is the hardest thing for me. I love the idea of a 2-do list. It makes sense i.e. when life gets tough, get simple.

I've been writing a "Done List" at the end of the day for several decades now. I have found it the best way to combat my chronic bad self-talk.

Today's taking care of me
took my aunts dog for a run/walk/sniff down to the river
ate a handful of carrots while watching tv (like the crunch and better than sweets)
took an extra vitamin D

Let's keep this thread going. I need all the support, encouragement I can get to focus on my own problems, needs, joy, health, life, future, etc.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I met with a friend the other night to talk to her about her job and how she climbed the ladder at her company and we discussed some job issues for me and my future.

Then, today, I got a manicure on my lunch break.

And, to really top off my week with some icing: I specifically told my boyfriend that we needed some 'adult time' and I made sure we scheduled it in tonight even though we both had our kids this weekend. I try to make sure our needs are met and that we're taking care of ourselves and each other within our relationship. We both think it's important and we work hard to make time for 'us' and that, actually, is part of taking care of ME.

Thanks for this thread!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ugh. I didn't do to well at the taking care of me bit today.

I did try the 2-do list: 1) worked with my Dad on paying bills 2) got to the Post Office before it closed.

I need this thread baaaaad!