100 Happy Days, Part 3! Any Takers?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Woefully behind, my friends!

Grateful for big, big doses of prednisone and multiple antibiotics, which finally seem to have pushed me through the worst of this pneumonia.

Grateful for the incredibly thoughtful Christmas gifts I received. My daughters gave me the latest cookbook from The Pioneer Woman, and my Tuesday night hangout friend gave me tickets to an upcoming PostSecret Live show. I have been an ardent fan of PostSecret since it launched 10 years ago, and I am so, so excited to see the show.

Grateful that in the face of another epic meltdown tonight from my DS, I kept my cool, enforced the rules and the consequences, and everything settled down quickly.

Grateful for lots of quality time with my girls over the past week, and all the talking and laughing we've been able to share.

Grateful that STBXAH and DS had a nice Christmas together, with minimal behavioral issues and lots of fun memories (they saw Star Wars yesterday! I saw it last weekend with my girls, because I wanted to make sure DS could handle it. STBXAH made sure to check with me beforehand to see if I thought it would be ok for DS--felt like a parenting win all around).

Grateful for the time we had last weekend with my dad and brother. We were only there for one night, but we had a wonderful time, and my 3-year old nephew is certifiably adorable.

Grateful that, on the drive home from my dad's, we stopped off in Indiana to meet up briefly with one of my friends from an online moms group I've been a part of for 17 years. There are about 50 of us across the US, Canada, and the UK, and I've now met about 10 of them in person over the years.

Grateful for my sweet dachshund, who has always been my BFF through good times and bad, and has been a particularly wonderful companion while I've been so sick. Extra grateful that, at 10 years old, she is still going strong.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Wow, Wisconsin, your "cold" turned out to be pneumonia? Yikes! Glad you're finally getting on top of it.

Thanks for all those "catchup" posts--you are really on a roll lately, even tho you've been sick! Give that honey dachshund a cuddle for me, OK?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for the giant ultra-cheap sale that Joann Fabrics had on fleece fabric early in December. I bought a bunch to make no-sew nighttime curtains for my windows to help keep things warmer. I'm about halfway thru the house w/this project now and it's a good thing, b/c if the weather guys are right, the weather is going to turn in the next few days and it's gonna feel like January all of a sudden!

Also grateful for that Amazon Classic R&B station tonight; it's been just right for the evening.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Finished up those fleece night curtains and just in time, I think...

I am really grateful for MUSIC today. I've been listening to a lot of really great music that has lifted my heart and soul. (This thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-3-songs.html references some of it.)

Thanks to my SR friends who've made recommendations and thanks to the serendipity of YouTube that linked me up w/other good stuff!
Old 12-27-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Super grateful for a long x-masy weekend. Gosh, I used to hate weekends so much, especially Sunday evenings. It was like walking in the minefield.

I can actually enjoy the silence. It is so quiet. So serene.

And it is sleepy time now. Good night, all!
Old 12-28-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Great few days with friends, new acquaintances and family. Having a great holiday season
Old 12-28-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Grateful that I do not have to go anywhere today because the weather is just ugh . . . I've always loved snow, but this is icy rain that makes the pavements super slick and dangerous.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Grateful that winter showed up on my day off work so that I don't have to brave the snow just yet.
Grateful for a productive day writing yesterday.
Grateful for hot chamomile tea and honey.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

HP, I love when the fleece goes on deep discount at JoAnn, too! I use it for DD12's hedgehog, and for our dog, and to make pajama pants.

Today I am grateful for my awesome government job and my awesome boss, because it was a total non-issue for me to keep DS home and work from home today in the face of some really, really awful weather.

I'm also grateful for my snug apartment. DS and I have been holed up all day, and notwithstanding a little cabin fever on his part, he's been good as gold and I actually got some work done.

I'm grateful that everyone I know (including friends who are truck drivers and were out in this weather today) has made it home safely, and everyone appears to still have power.

And tomorrow I will be grateful for my secure, covered parking in our basement garage, because I won't have to stand outside and scrape all this ice off my windows!
Old 12-28-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I am grateful that I did not join the myriad of folks off the side of the road or down in the ditch or perpendicular to the dividing wall on the freeway or in any of the other non-driving-friendly positions I saw today in my travels for work. And as I came home, I had to detour around the nearest main road intersection to my house b/c it was blocked off, looked like a bad accident.

Now tomorrow we'll see if I remember last year's snow blower lessons or not...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...wing-snow.html
Old 12-29-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I was thinking about you yesterday, HP, wondering if you were out and about in the mess. Glad you made it home unscathed!

Today I am grateful that New Year's Eve is approaching, and I have no idea what I'm doing and I have zero anxiety about it. ZERO ANXIETY, people! That feels like a miracle. I am not worried how early it will be when STBXAH is trashed, or how he will behave, or what sorts of drama will ensue. If I find something fun to do, great. If not, great. It will be a peaceful holiday either way.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I am grateful for the distance that I am able to maintain after divorce. We still live in the same apartment complex, but it seems like we are worlds apart. It is weird how people once so close can become absolute strangers. And holidays are again only that, holidays. The time to slow down and take it easy. Just like you say Wisconsin, zero anxiety.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Today I have to be grateful for my snowblower! With the snow as deep and as heavy as it was (not less than knee deep anywhere), and with the huge mountain of hard lumpy crap that the snowplow left at the end of the drive which was nearly waist deep, there is simply no way I could have gotten my long drive cleared out w/o Mr. Ariens the Snow Blower. It still took me over 3 hours of hard work, but it's done.

I'm also extremely grateful for my neighbor who helped me get the blower started--now I'm more familiar w/the procedure and feel confident I can do it alone next time.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Also grateful for snowblowers today.
Grateful that I have time to get my car serviced before the holiday. The check engine light came on as I was driving home from work tonight. Hopefully it's nothing too expensive.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Grateful that I have time to get my car serviced before the holiday. The check engine light came on as I was driving home from work tonight. Hopefully it's nothing too expensive.
Yep, doing that same thing myself this AM but for a different reason...

Here's hoping we both get away w/o paying an awful lot for repairs!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Grateful for some nice "me time" last night. My Tuesday night hangout friend and I were not able to mesh our schedules last night, so I checked out The Hobbit from the library, and enjoyed a solo movie night while I caught up with two friends on Facebook.

And...my BFF from high school has invited me to join her for a weekend in Manhattan. Her husband gifted her with an all-expense-paid trip for her and a friend. He is apparently cashing in a bunch of frequent flyer miles and hotel points. Anyway, she has always been a little...flaky...so who knows if it will actually happen. But either way, it was nice to catch up with her last night.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I owe you guys many Happys... I've been keeping track on my calendar though.

#72 - Happy for hilarious conversations with my 4-yr old nephew. He reminds me so much of DD at this age - very verbal, super advanced & crazy active. They are only quiet when they sleep & they just go-go-go until then.

#73 - Grateful to finally finish our holiday decorations 100% - bonus that I got pics of nephew on the roof hanging lights with RAH; I now have pics of all 3 kids at approx. the same ages helping with the same task. It's going to make a great collage!

#74 - Happy that I stocked up on deals for baking supplies so that when it came time to start churning out cookies, I already had 99.9% of what I needed.

#75 - Happy to spend the day shopping with my sister; we rarely get time to do stuff like that together.

#76 - Happy that my family requests simple favorites for holiday cookies - RAH is all about the oatmeal/chocolate no-bakes & DD adores Oreo Balls. I'm the difficult one - gotta have my brown butter chocolate chip stuffed with nutella. YUM.

#77 - Happy that I bought a groupon months ago for a deal on movie tix through fandango. I was able to surprise DD & her to see Mockingjay Part 2 after we spent the afternoon watching Part 1 at home on dvd. She is reading the series & had seen the other movies so this was an awesome mom-DD date night while dad was at his meeting.

#78 - Grateful for those that put on extensive light shows for the holidays. It has become our Christmas Eve tradition to load the whole family up into the biggest vehicle & drive from one to the other to see their shows. We eat popcorn & other snacks & if it's ever cold enough (rarely), hot chocolate.

#79 - Happy & grateful for the best Christmas we have had in a very long time.

#80 - Grateful that RAH was off 4 days for the holiday & also grateful that he's willing to take on side work for the weekend after spending 2 full days at home doing family stuff. It's a sacrifice, but he's determined to keep getting ahead, even if it's just a couple hundred bucks at a time. I have to respect that.

#81 - Happy to do our annual discount shopping after the holidays with my friend..... despite being informed I'd be sticking to a cash budget a la #80 above.

#82 - Grateful that I have learned to stay on my side of the street: dinner with mom, sis's family & meeting her BF's parents for the first time. Um, yeah.

#83 - Happy for the simplest little exercise disc my sister got for me - I actually picked it out when we were shopping & she said, "I still need a gift for you - give me that" Yep, that's how we roll, lol.

#84 - So happy that I finally took the time to do the modge-podge canvas prints for everyone for Christmas. I can't stop looking at them when I walk down the hallway & it is so wonderful to see pictures that I took, memories we created, hanging on the wall looking professionally mounted. Not perfect, but I'm thrilled for the overall cost & I know I'll get better the more I do. I already had 3 more pics printed to work on this weekend.

And....... I'm caught up!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Yeah - I have some catching up to do.

77 - Happy for family. I use that one a lot lately, but they are amazing through a miserable situation. If any one of us were any different than we are, I don't know what I'd do.

78 - Happy for smart, funny, and sweet niece and nephew. They are open, honest, appreciative, and so adventurous. She loves to sled and got a bow and arrow for Christmas (let an 8 year old watch the hunger games...) and he got Star Wars EVERYTHING.....which I love....and am a bit jealous of...

79 - Happy for RXABF - we've been spending time together, he's been helping my family, and he has 30 days today. Nothing in the grand scheme, I know, but I'm happy to see him focused on recovery, and doing the right things to support his recovery - something I thought would never happen.

80 - Happy for recovery. Not so happy it's taken me to 38 to even see FOO issues...but happy I do now. I have a lot of work to do, and so grateful that I can even see that I do.

81 - Happy for recovery again. My sister in law is talking to me about my brothers drinking, and if it weren't for recovery, I'd be advising her to dump out his booze, and we'd be planning his intervention together. Instead, I told her I found a lot of help in googling online forums, gave her my book list, and told her if she ever wanted to go to an Alanon meeting, I'd be happy to go with.

82 - Happy for a warm, peaceful, cozy apartment. It is my safe haven right now. I am not isolating in it, I am cooking healthy food in it, exercising in it, reading a lot in it, not watching much tv in it, blaring music in it, taking care of it, and am filling it with friends and family - often.

83 - Happy for a New Year, and the beauty and fresh feelings it brings.

84 - Happy for a renewed spirituality. I spent many of my younger years hateful of God and the religious hypocrisy that I saw a lot of, then atheist, then agnostic, now faithful again. I am watching my dad, dying of cancer - with complete peace. He just thinks he is going home, and that ain't no thang. I go to church 1 - 3 times per year, but go fishing and camping nearly every weekend. There, I am finding a renewed faith, and peace, and it looks nothing like I was raised to believe God is....and I love it.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

firebolt, I especially like #81 and #84!
Old 12-30-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I'm way too far behind to catch up, but today I'm grateful for waking up to another beautiful light dusting of snow, and watching my sweet boys' excitement to see it too