Your Thoughts on the Daily Reading Post?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Your Thoughts on the Daily Reading Post?

Good morning, folks--so it's been just over a year since I began posting the daily readings from "The Language of Letting Go" here. A few months in, I started adding a daily picture of a view out a window--a woman I worked with was lamenting her horrible, windowless office and I said "I'll make sure you have a window, at least a virtual one!"

I've gotten a lot out of performing this service, and it seems many of you here have, also. I love picking out the picture for each day, as there are so many beautiful ones to choose from on the internet. I'm happy to continue doing a daily reading post like this, but I wonder if you guys could give me some feedback to make it the best and most useful it can be?

1) Do you want me to go around again with "The Language of Letting Go"? I am certainly open to posting from other sources if anyone has suggestions. My personal feeling is that "Language" speaks more to my issues and areas than anything else I've seen at this point, but I will bow to the wishes of the majority here--I've definitely learned that there's a lot of wisdom to be had outside of my own limited experience!

2) Do you like the pics? Should I keep the window theme? Does anyone have a different idea for a theme? Should I just post whatever seems appropriate each day?

3) Since I've been at this, I've learned a little bit, and I think it might be better for me to post all the daily readings in one big extended thread, much like FireSprite's "100 Happy Days" thread, rather than making an individual thread for each day. I believe this would make it easier to reference past posts and catch up if someone has missed a few days as well as keeping the board a little less cluttered (I'm working a month-long anti-clutter program right now, so I'm sensitive to this!). What are your feelings?

Thanks for the input, fellow SR-ers. Whatever changes we decide on, I will implement them on January 1.

Have a delightful day!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like the posts, and would love for them to continue even if they are the same ones from a year ago. I'm also open to other publications, if others prefer. I do agree that it would be great for them all to be in a single thread...

Thanks for doing this, HP, and I'm so glad it has been good for your recovery, too!
Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no suggestions. I only wanted to thank you for taking your time to post the daily readings each and everyday. It's so thoughtful of you.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're welcome, Wisconsin and HoldOnLoosely! There is an AA saying along the lines of "we can only keep the precious gift of sobriety by giving it away", and I view this as much the same thing except that the "precious gift" we here are keeping/giving is sanity.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I look forward to those daily readings. It's always something I need to hear, very often when I need to hear it. I think that will probably be the case no matter what the actual book is. I will always appreciate you sharing your recovery with all of us. It's such a gift.
I love the window pictures, seeing a different little slice of the world every day is like a serenity booster shot for me.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I feel the same - the Language of Letting Go speaks to me too, so I don't mind if they are duplicated, and after a year - dang, I still need the same inspirational boosts!!

I love the window pictures too - I also love those stupid funny facebook memes, so you could basically pick anything and I'll be happy

Thanks for these - I think they help people more than you'll ever know the extent of <3
Old 12-04-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for your service, honeypig.

I love The Language of Letting Go. I really love the window pictures, too. I didn't know that you were picking them yourself. They are powerful and beautiful.

I subscribe to a few threads like "Elders Meditation," "Daily Blessings in Memory of Trish," and a few others in spirituality - plus "Fluffy!" so I think one ongoing thread is a really good idea - but either way it is wonderful to read these.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love the postings & don't mind having them repeated. Sometimes it hits me different the 2nd time or I find it useful for a completely new circumstance. The pics are wonderful but I know it can take time to find/link them so if YOU need to drop them for your own time's sake, I totally understand. They are always beautiful & appreciated though! And I'll read them whether they are linked in a single thread (I do like the simplicity of that) or separated daily.

I'm also open to changing it up because every new doorway leads me to something else!

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to do this. I'm not great about sticking with a daily reader so I would never get around to them otherwise!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with all others-I very much look forward to the daily posts and they do seem to hit at the right time it doesbt matter to me one bit if they are repeated-it's valuable information-I'll read them again and again. Thank you for doing this each day, btw!!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love the daily posts and the photos are a nice addition. Actually, I re-returned to SR because I have one of the "Language of Letting Go" threads bookmarked on my computer.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Honeypig.....I love...love....love...the pictures!
Such a nice addition!

dandylion
Old 12-04-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Honeypig

Just wanted to thank you for doing service. I love the Language Of Letting Go and I also really enjoy the window pictures. Having everything in one convenient thread is a good idea
Have a great week end
Old 12-04-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I want to thank you as well, Honeypig.

I love the posts and the pictures, I read them everyday.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

On more than one occasion, the Daily Reading post has turned my day around and you, dear honeypig, have been my hp (HP) for that day

Thank you.

Like many others, I'm happy to go through the same book again, and would love to keep seeing your beautiful pictures as well.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, Honeypig.
I adore the wealth of information available on this site. Google often leads me right back here. Why not add a new short post to bump up the original threads?
Old 12-05-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks to all who've weighed in on this topic! So far, it looks like we have kind of a consensus here that it would be fine to go around again w/"Language", and it looks like a lot of folks enjoy the pics, so at this point I'm thinking we'll keep those things the same for the coming year. I do think I'll make the change of going to the single thread format when the first of the year comes, rather than the individual ones, tho.

I'll keep this thread up thru the weekend for sure, maybe thru the early part of next week just to be certain anyone who wants to have a say has had their chance. Again, thanks for all your kind words, and it truly is my pleasure to perform this small act of service!
Old 12-05-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I would just like to add that I find the Language posts very comforting and sensible. Personally, they have helped me a lot over the past few days through a crisis. So you have my vote too! Thanks!
Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I really love the LOLG posts, honeypig. Thank you so much for sharing them each day.
I agree that one thread would be great.
I am new here so if you start again with LOLG, it will all be new to me until next October anyway.
Thanks, again! So many times in the past few weeks the posts have been exactly what I needed to hear that day.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by THippy View Post
So many times in the past few weeks the posts have been exactly what I needed to hear that day.
I know what you mean--today's post is one of those for me...
Old 12-05-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thankyou for your service HoneyPig.

I don't mind the Language of Letting Go readings.

They are very relevant.