To destroy photos or not

Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To destroy photos or not

Think I am ready to delete all of my photos of my marriage... Does anyone think that's too dramatic and not best for my son? I like seeing my history in general but can't stand to see why I should keep anything based on lies in my history file especially because he left us.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When my first husband (not an A) and I split up, he took our professional wedding album, and the scrapbook I made from candid photos, and burned them. I found out about it a few months after the fact. Those books held photos of me with relatives who had since passed away, and would have been good to have for our daughters. I still have photos of times during the marriage. They are important for our daughters. I am having the same feelings about photos of my STBXAH--our son will want memories of happier times, and I'm OK with that.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't burned of thrown out any photos-I've taken all photos of him down, save one, because my daughter likes it. We have looked through pictures many times and she's not in denial about who her dad is-and pictures serve to preserve the good memories. Just my two cents
Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why not just save them on a flash drive or CD & put it away somewhere where you can forget about it until DS is older? I can totally understand not wanting to scroll through them on your computer every day, but you may feel differently someday in the future & won't have any way of recreating them. JMO
Old 11-24-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When our 25 yr marriage ended. Ended
peacefully and I returned home to my
hometown here in Baton Rouge, I left
all my wedding stuff behind for our kids
to do what they want with them.

There is history in those photographs
that tell a story of a different time and
place we were in. Just seems so long
ago for since we both moved on and
have remarried to different people.

I was in my addiction from 82 to 90
and entered recovery from there to
where I am today, 25 yrs sober and
married for 6yrs.

All those picture tell a story of before,
during and after my addiction. For me
I don't need those pictures because I
already know the story. As for leaving
them behind, they carry on for those
into that ancestory stuff. Me, Ill be
long gone and cant take anything with
me.

Simple and sweet.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm with FireSprite--put them out of sight, out of mind. If, after 20 years or so, your child doesn't want them and you don't want them, then you can destroy them.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree......put them away......20yrs. form now, your child can make the decision.....

dandylion
Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

don't shred them-they can't all be of the bad times.

go through them-and THEN shred the ones you want.

you never know when a kid's got questions. . . .. .believe me !!
Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by killerinstinct View Post
Think I am ready to delete all of my photos of my marriage... Does anyone think that's too dramatic and not best for my son? I like seeing my history in general but can't stand to see why I should keep anything based on lies in my history file especially because he left us.
I understand the anger-don't do it on a whim-those3 photos might be useful to you one day in the mummy Vs daddy stakes.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do not think it is dramatic. If you really cannot stand it, if it upsets you, and if you do not think you are going to regret it, go for it and delete. I have way too many pics of my ex, and they are all over the place, so, it was easier for me simply not to think of the pics and ignore them. The albums on Facebook for example were hidden from public. It was technically easier to do and less time-consuming. And I have no desire whatsoever to look at the pics anyway, so it does not matter where they are, or if they exist or not.

Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make copies. Put the originals in a safety deposit box for you kid and burn the copies.

It'll feel cathartic, I'm sure, for you and then you'll allow your kid to make the choice to keep those memories or ditch them when he's older.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm with joey-don't make decisions out of anger (and I know how hard this can be!!!!!!).
Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would also hold on to them. Your child may one day want to see them. Many years from now you may even be able to look at them and not care. Box them up in the attic.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Another vote for saving them, for your son's sake.

can't stand to see why I should keep anything based on lies in my history file especially because he left us
You loved your ex alcoholic at one point and from that love your son was created and born. Your love wasn't a lie, even if his was. Hugs.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Me too. my kids have pics of me and their dad on our wedding day. they seem to treasure them, and have them on display , even though we have been divorced for centuries. keep them for your son, is my vote.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'd keep them put away, because your son may want them some day. Now that my AF's gone, I treasure photos I have that remind me of the good times.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One day your anger may be replaced, in part, by grief. My ex is dying of his disease. I'm glad I held onto our photos (they are put away). Those are all my children will have of their father.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My ex (not an A) passed away just over 2 years ago. I'm glad that I kept the photos. Our son has them displayed in his room. He misses his dad very much.
I also vote to put them away for now. Your son might want them when he's older.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My father died when I was 14 and my Mom remarried...the wedding photos were passed down to me on my mom's passing this year and I cherish them greatly.

Also...if you do remarry I'll tell you as a step child I always felt that *my* family included my real dad and no way I wanted any memories of him destroyed for the *new guy*. Just my two cents on my experience....especially if later down the road you want to remarry...nothing wrong with remarrying at all - BUT the child will always consider the original family the real one...or at least I did and everyone I knew in a similar situation. Sometimes the photos are all we have of our original family.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with putting them away for your children to deal with.

When I was in dire straits financially, I was looking at selling my engagement and wedding band from my alcoholic marriage. I was surprised to learn that the one kid who is most harshly angry at her father (the A) was stunned that I would even think of such a thing without talking to the kids first.. to her, those were part of her history and something that (while her history was bad and hurtful in parts) she wanted kept for her to inherit one day.