Finally Did It. Met with Shrink & Found an Al-Anon Meeting

Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Did It. Met with Shrink & Found an Al-Anon Meeting

It's been a long while since I've been here. My wife is the drinker. We recently relocated to a small community near Nashville.

I'm just back from my first individual counseling session and this last Saturday attended a great Al-Anon meeting. Previously I'd attended two in our former community that were basically pity parties of all older ladies. Felt bad for their situations, but we had little in common.

I'll write more, but I did want to thank folks here who encouraged me to keep on searching for the right mix.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found good support. It does take a bit of "shopping" sometimes, I know it took me many weeks to find a meeting that "fit".

* of course, I actually chickened out _three_ times and did not enter the meeting after driving all the way out and sitting in the parking lot. But I don't admit that in public *

Mike
Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The good meetings sure are a breath of fresh air.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Al-Anon meetings going well. Lots of kindred spirits. Counseling not so much. Stopped after four meetings when my shrink decided I'd be a candidate for "coloring therapy." I just don't think so. I was on the edge with him anyhow as he'd started talking about attraction theory-a kind of discredited (at least in my opinion) process that I didn't think applied to my situation.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep in mind, Rev, that it can be very difficult to find a good counselor. Just because you weren't a good fit with the last counselor doesn't mean that a good one isn't out there. I think it's good you stuck with it for four sessions. Maybe consider trying another counselor to see if things are a little more helpful.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Wisconsin's right. You probably have a better idea now about what you'd like from a counselor/therapist than you did before. How about setting up a few consults? Most will meet with you for free to talk about what you need/want from therapy and what the counselor's goals/methods are.

Couldn't hurt.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What she said...

I had to try a few before I found the one that worked for me...

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
Keep in mind, Rev, that it can be very difficult to find a good counselor. Just because you weren't a good fit with the last counselor doesn't mean that a good one isn't out there. I think it's good you stuck with it for four sessions. Maybe consider trying another counselor to see if things are a little more helpful.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done! I seem to have done well with the Al-Anon meeting I've been going to but I've read (and heard) that it can take some searching to find one that's right for you, same with counselling too.

Good luck with everything!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I looked for a counselor I looked until I found one who specifically helps families who have addiction. It was worth the hunt.