I couldn't resist.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I couldn't resist.

Looking over AH's annual health screening and it says he has 8 drinks per week.
Riiiiiight.
I couldn't resist asking him where they got that number.
His repsonse: "That's about right".
uh huh. sure it is.

I know, I know. I shouldn't have said a word.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's game day. Another morning game.
So I'll get lots of chances to do it right today.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sounds like THippy needs to go antique shopping or something today!
Old 11-14-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, sheesh. What counts as a "drink"? I mean, if you continually top off and don't pause to sober up, isn't that one continuous "drink"? After all, isn't the size of a glass sort of an arbitrary measure?

I'm sure the reasoning goes along those lines.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hippy......as a medical person, I can tell you that the conversation goes something like this:

Dr.---do you drink alcohol?
Patient---Yes.
Dr.---how often?
Patient----Oh, about 4 times a week, on average.
Dr.-----how many drinks do you have at a time?
Patient.-----Oh, one or two.

4 x 2=8.

Now, much of the time the doctor knows that the patient is lying...or minimizing....but, he/she cannot scream at the patient...."You are a f****** Liar!"
One must write down what the patient says.

dandylion
Old 11-14-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ill be taking off just after half time. I'll go find something fun to do and try not to think about how non A husbands probably try to spend their last evening before going out of town for a week with their families.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Hippy......as a medical person, I can tell you that the conversation goes something like this:

Dr.---do you drink alcohol?
Patient---Yes.
Dr.---how often?
Patient----Oh, about 4 times a week, on average.
Dr.-----how many drinks do you have at a time?
Patient.-----Oh, one or two.

4 x 2=8.

Now, much of the time the doctor knows that the patient is lying...or minimizing....but, he/she cannot scream at the patient...."You are a f****** Liar!"
One must write down what the patient says.

dandylion
MmmmHmmmm. Minimizing is the way it usually goes....also minimizing the size of the drink.

Just as most smokers will tell you they smoke "a half a pack a day".....seems as though all smokers smoke a "half a pack a day".....well at least they are consistent, right....(being sarcastic here...)
Old 11-14-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep-sounds about right! My ex used the classic alcoholic lingo of "I only drink a couple beers a day". Sure buddy-sure you do. However, I think he was honest upon entering rehab telling then he was drinking 8-10 beers a day....maybe that was conservative too. Who knows. Not my problem anymore-and it was never my problem to begin with!
Old 11-14-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

When I was drinking I found it almost impossible not to minimise my drinking to the doctor. Even having the 'I am seeking help for my drinking' conversation, it was still incredibly hard.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

THippy-toward the end I started noticing my ex say he only drank one beer last night-well, one beer was a 32oz and even I knew he was lying-it was more along the lines of "you only saw me drink one beer-the ones I hid from you or drank on the way home from work or when I went to fill your car up with gas or when I ran back to the store at 9pm for who knows what-those don't count" -it was too obvious. I think he was the only one that was fooled.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, I know that he made that number up. No doubt. That's why I asked him the question. To call him on his BS.
For a few years now I've been calling it "word games" when he tells me how much he's had to drink. Just a coup,e drinks means a couple of double or triple shots. I won't have anything to drink until this evening. This evening begins at 2pm apparently.
I got to the point of being VERY SPECIFIC.
Now I see it was all a waste of time and just made me the crazy bi$ch.
I left for a few hours today. Came home just now and he's in bed asleep. Better than passed out in the living room I suppose.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This thread absolutely made me laugh! When XAH was in the ER for the apparent hit-and-run at the mailbox 10 days ago, he told them he smoked a half a pack a day. Then he told them he'd had 3 or 4 ounces of liquor that evening --showing a BAC of .12 four hours after he'd stopped drinking!

Just for yuks, I found a calculator online. Since I have a good idea when he started and when he stopped, as well as his weight, I used it to figure out that he'd had almost 20 ounces of liquor--more than 2 cups--between 3 PM and 6 PM. A far cry from "3 or 4 ounces."

Does any of this matter in the end? Of course not. But since he's never really told me anything at all about his consumption, true or false, this was one time--maybe the only time--when I was able to get the facts.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

About a week before I left my xAB I drove him to have a wisdom tooth extracted. They were asking a variety of questions including does he drink and approximately how many a week. He says, oh like a few beers a few times a week. So the PA confirms, like 6 a week then and he nods. Um, most nights he would polish off a 6 pack, half a bottle of wine and a few whiskey sours. Alcoholic math at its best!!
Old 11-14-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

THippy, when my ex had a horrible gout attack, so bad that he could barely walk, he went to see the doc. At that time, he was drinking a twelve-pack of beer (high-alcohol content) a day. So the doc asks him about his alcohol consumption and the answer was "a glass of beer now and then." So the doc tells him he must not drink beer anymore, but "can have a shot of tequila now and then ." My ex was in heaven. That shot glass was actually a quart a day of whiskey. He even told me, "it is your fault I do not like beer anymore!"

So you get the picture. They do manipulate medical workers and staff. It is not even that hard.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

O.K.......in the interest of full disclosure.....I lie to myself about my calorie count at the end of the day.
Also, if I eat a cookie while I am walking.....that doesn't really count.....

dandylion

I think it is very hard for any of us to face the full reality of issues we are not able or ready to face.......
Old 11-14-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Also, if I eat a cookie while I am walking.....that doesn't really count.....
I too seem to have a disconnect between what goes in my mouth and the padding on my hips.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I fail miserably at biting my tongue
Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My AH had open heart surgery last year and told them he doesn't drink. I'm thinking yeah, good luck with that. Lie to the man who is about to saw your chest in half. Smart stuff right there.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As an RN, I'll tell you that its common for doctors and nurses to double the reported number when faced with a patient that has "drinker" characteristics.

If there's any problem at all, the alk will underestimate. In their effort to avoid an unpleasant conversation, they often short themselves when when it comes to anesthesia and pain meds (they require more due to nervous system tolerance). It becomes pretty obvious when a guy that recovering from surgery for a broken this or that absolutely FLIPS OUT! At that point it often ends up with physical restraint. Not pretty.