Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Birds of a feather flock together and stick up for each other

Birds of a feather flock together and stick up for each other

Old 11-13-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Addiction does everything it can to protect itself. That means blame-shifting and denial. To take responsibility for the consequences of our choices means having to deal with the addiction. Dealing with the addiction is like standing naked in a tsunami -- not one stitch to protect oneself from life on life's terms.

I had to learn to spend a lot less time trying to figure out why my addicted loved ones did and said the things they did and a lot more time figuring out why I accepted it.
'blame shifting and denial' , exactly what we're seeing here. The alkie/addict and with duis and bankruptcy blames 'the family'. Keeps on saying 'this family'. Got particularly upset when I said 'their choice' to do drugs when they were talking about others to deflect attention from themselves. Keeps on saying it's 'society's' problem to deal with and not the individual.

Also like the op they now hang out almost exclusively with other addicts and alkies with similar habits & life problems.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

^^ yep!