SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Great concert last night... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/378790-great-concert-last-night.html)

LexieCat 11-07-2015 09:26 AM

Great concert last night...

I went to see Blue Öyster Cult (lol, had to add the umlaut) last night. The opening act was Vanilla Fudge--whom I found way too loud for the venue (I often stand next to the stage with VERY loud bands but this one actually caused pain, and I was sitting a ways back from the stage), but BÖC was GREAT. They sounded terrific and had a great stage presence and rocked their hearts out. The two members from the original lineup keep the sound pretty consistent with their original sound.

I actually felt like a kid in this crowd--it was like an AARP convention. Lots of sagging tattoos, lol.

I went out to dinner to a nearby Indian restaurant and the couple sitting next to me (both of whom were from India) were going to the concert, too. I commented that I only hoped there would be enough COWBELL. The guy looked puzzled, and I asked him if he hadn't ever seen that skit. He said, "Oh, that's that SNL bit with that idiot actor, whatsisname." I said, "Oh, you didn't think that was funny?" He went on this whole indignant speech about how they "skewered" an amazing song. I was sort of speechless, I mean, how can you take a parody like that to heart?

I looked up the band's website later, and discovered that the band actually LOVES the skit and finds it hysterical.

For anyone who hasn't seen it (or even those who just need a laugh today), here it is: More Cowbell!

Gonnachange 11-07-2015 09:40 AM

Blast from the past. Glad you enjoyed the show and hope your ears aren't ringing too much today.

Geez, some people have no sense of humor.

redatlanta 11-07-2015 10:11 AM

More Cowbell may be the funniest skit ever on SNL!

LexieCat 11-07-2015 10:20 AM

I know, I cannot tell you how many times I've watched it, and it makes me laugh every single time. It's the shirt. That shirt should be in the Smithsonian.

redatlanta 11-07-2015 10:25 AM

We watched some shows surrounding the 40th anniversary special and they said they almost scrapped it because in rehearsal it wasn't quite hitting the marks on the laughter scale, but decided to go with it. The Shirt was something Farrell added in without anyone knowing sense everyone was dying laughing. Amazing and article of clothing could do that!

LexieCat 11-07-2015 10:31 AM

Will Ferrell is brilliant. I don't like everything he's done, but he has a brilliant comedic sense.

dandylion 11-07-2015 11:48 AM

"Need More Cowbell"......this is a phrase that my middle son and I use as a joke between us, all the time!! LOl.

You know, of course, that cows are considered sacred in India?
Maybe, cow jokes are no so embraced, there......
They are probably just sticks in the mud.

dandylion

LexieCat 11-07-2015 12:17 PM

No, it wasn't the cows he considered insulted, it was the band and the song.

I was about to tell him that songs are not sacred cows (not even thinking for a moment about ethnicity, but in retrospect I'm glad I caught myself).

SeriousKarma 11-07-2015 01:01 PM

I've seen this skit a hundred times, and still I can't get enough of it. I guess I just gotta have more cowbell.

How Will Farrell gets his belly fat to move in time with the music is pure artistry.

Cool umlaut, Lexie! It gives a more serious vibe to your post. Without it it would just seem, you know, silly.

LexieCat 11-07-2015 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma (Post 5633541)
Cool umlaut, Lexie! It gives a more serious vibe to your post. Without it it would just seem, you know, silly.

I know, right???

Speaking of ?, I bought this shirt last night:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._UL1500_.jpg

I love it.

tomsteve 11-07-2015 02:15 PM

glad ya had fun
and now i know what the periods above the O are called!

LexieCat 11-07-2015 02:48 PM

Sorry the image made the forum so big, I just happened to find that image of the shirt I'm wearing.

Yeah, funny thing about the umlaut, it apparently was the brainchild of either one of the band members or their producer (depending on which story you believe)--it has no actual purpose except to make it seem more "Wagnerian." Other bands copied it for the same purpose--it supposedly adds that "metal" touch.

tomsteve 11-07-2015 04:41 PM

now i gotta look up wagnarian.:hyper

dandylion 11-07-2015 07:09 PM

tomsteve......LOL!!
If it isn't o ne thing, it is another......

dandylion

LexieCat 11-07-2015 07:40 PM

Richard Wagner

Flight of the Valkyries

This is a very educational forum.

SeriousKarma 11-07-2015 07:48 PM

Speaking of Wagner....

I went to see Die Walkure in San Francisco years ago. It took all of my energy not to sing "Kill da wabbit. Kill da wabbit. Kill da wabbit." During the big number. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.

Somehow I think your friends at the Indian restaurant wouldn't have found it so funny.

(Here's a link for anyone who doesn't get the reference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhQ2BDt4VE

dandylion 11-07-2015 07:52 PM

This all brings back the memory of a confession that my ex-husbands mother made to me.....about a sinful passion that she hid during her teen years.....
This very disciplined woman left a career path toward concert pianist to go to medical school in her town of Belfast, Ireland, and became a physician instead...
much to her father's disappointment.....
Her secret sin was that she secretly loved the works of Wagner!!!!!!!
That was not thought well of in that part of the world at that particular time in history........for some very political reasons......

You all have jogged some memories for me.....

danylion

SeriousKarma 11-07-2015 08:27 PM

Well, the truth is that Wagner was known for being an @ss, and I think we can all agree that there's something integral missing from his music.

Not enough cowbell.

LexieCat 11-08-2015 07:12 AM

Hitler was a big fan of Wagner. They had some similar leanings.

But yeah, I definitely remember "Kill da rabbit!"

Here's the whole cartoon--man, Saturday morning memories...

What's Opera, Doc?

Lilro 11-08-2015 07:23 AM

Hence the reason I will not get a tattoo!! Lol

Oh and Red,that cowbell skit kills me!!! Now everytime I hear that song that's all I can think of!! LMAO!!