Hey there, vacation GREAT, playing catchup

Old 11-01-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey there, vacation GREAT, playing catchup

Hey, folks,

My trip to Morocco was indescribable. Well, hard to describe without breaking the forum, lol. The only negative was there was this ONE PERSON (isn't there ALWAYS?), but at least it wasn't ME. Everyone else in the group was terrific, our trip leader could not have been more awesome (employee of the large company operating the tour--he was local and made sure we got to experience everything). Anyone interested in a slightly adventuresome trip that isn't too taxing, PM me and I'll give you the details. I was incredibly impressed with how well everything was run.

I rode a camel, camped two nights in the Sahara, was invited into nomad camps to share food and mint tea, met with local families who graciously hosted us, bought some beautiful things to bring home with me. I feel like if I never got to take another cool vacation as long as I live, I could still die happy.

Of course, you go away for a couple of weeks and stuff piles up. I've been on three work trips since I got back, getting home from the last one late last night, which is why I haven't been around. Hopefully I can start posting again at a reasonable level, lol (says the person who has never been great at "moderating" ANYTHING).

Hope everyone's well here, I'm off to see what you've all been up to.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great to hear you enjoyed it so much! Welcome back. I want to go to Morocco...
Old 11-01-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad that you had a good time LexieCat

I would like to visit Morocco someday

MM
Old 11-01-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome! Nothing like a great vacation!
Old 11-01-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
It sounds fantastic. Welcome back. Sure have missed you around these parts.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Morocco is now on my bucket list!!! Welcome home Lexie!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was sure you would love it, have been there twice and hope to visit again. Isn't Marrakesh wonderful? Take a deep breath and relax, so many times we need a vacation after a trip.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, yeah, if I were going to live in Morocco, Marrakech would be my first choice. We were also in Rabat, Fes, and Ourrzazate, as well as exploring many other areas.

I took 1300 pictures in the two weeks we were there, but here are a couple of my favorites:

Old 11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Lexie, and thanks for sharing those photos! It looks and sounds like you had a beautiful exotic adventure. You deserved it, for sure.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back, lexiecat! Wow the contrast of that second pic.... Amazing!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back and I'm glad you had such a great time.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just a few more, for the heck of it.

It's like sensory overload, every time you turn around there is something interesting, gorgeous, or delicious to experience.

Hopefully these don't break the forum:

Oops, I have two more but need to put them in a separate post.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OK, these are the last ones I'll post (promise):

Old 11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Missed your words and wisdom!! Super pics btw-on my bucket list as well. Welcome back
Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow what an amazing trip it sounds like!!! Welcome home and I'm sure you'll carry awesome memories with you for a lifetime
Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Incredible pics, thanks for sharing, what a different world! Welcome back!
Old 11-01-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The little girl looking out the window was in the medina in Fes--she was way up above us looking out. The blue guy with the camels in the background was one of our "camel wranglers" (that's not what they call themselves, lol) when we went for our ride. Our ride (we rode for about an hour, and once I got used to the lurching rhythm, I could have gone for a couple more) was interesting--we got hit with a sandstorm/rainstorm at the same time! Who would have thought you'd get caught in a RAINstorm in the Sahara? I can really see why scarves come in handy--I'd unfortunately left mine in my backpack, so I was spitting sand.

The lady with the jugs and the pink scarf was selling her produce (including bags of snails) by the side of the road, and our trip leader got her to invite us in to see her neat little house and serve us tea and homemade bread.

The lady spinning the camel wool was a planned home visit, as were the smiling dudes in the last picture (Dad in the orange scarf, and two of his sons). The dad was a real character, he loved posing for pictures with us (we had to say, "tagine!" when we smiled--tagine is like a Moroccan potroast cooked in a special dish), and he played the drums and sang us the morning call to prayer in an old mosque we visited.

The best thing about Morocco are the people--they are so friendly and welcoming. They actually LIKE Americans (and every one I met that wanted to visit the U.S. wanted to go to Las Vegas!). I wish I knew French--more people speak that than English. I did learn a few Darija (Moroccan Arabic) words.

The tour company I traveled with is very culturally-oriented and socially responsible. We visited a school they support, which provides education for nomad children who otherwise wouldn't get to go to school. The students were on break, but the principal gave us a tour, and most of us brought books for the library or notebooks for the classroom.

I met this one kid in his early 20s at a jewelry shop in Marrakech (one of the nicer shops) and he and I spent over an hour talking about our families and about music (turns out he's a HUGE Justin Beiber fan, and I played him some Foo Fighters). He showed me videos of him and his buddies at the club where they go to dance. And when I asked why he wanted to go to Las Vegas, he said, "Because they say that what happens in Vegas STAYS in Vegas!" I wanted to adopt him, lol.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Beautiful, epic photos. So much color and style to the clothing. Gorgeous. I'll be waiting for the other 1289 of them. Thanks so much for posting them.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It ALL looks & sounds so amazing! Congrats on an incredible bucket-list trip!!
Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Back Lex!!! We have missed you! Beautiful photographs!