O/T light bulbs

Old 10-28-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T light bulbs

Does anyone else feel that they need some kind of a degree to figure out what kind of light bulb you need? I have a "mood" light. Cost a lot of money. It supposedly gives you daylight. I needed that because I live in a cabin, and the daylight here is really not so terrific. I have developed "bat eyes".

So the light bulb goes out. I went and found on EBay the same model #, it came, I was so excited. I can see again. Bulb is smaller then the one I got originally. It doesn't clip in, but it did work. I got up to get some tape or something to hold the bulb in place. Cats jump up on the table, like they always do when something is new. Bulb, $42.00 dollars worth, falls out. It breaks.

I have tract lighting that I have to go onto the computer to figure out first, what they are, and then how to change them. I get advice like to use duct tape to twist the light bulb out.

I have ceiling lights in the basement. Took one out and tried to order replacements online. Afraid to see if replacements fit.

I did get rid of the mood lamp tonight and replaced it with a table lamp. At least that one has light bulbs that I know. Do you really need a degree now to change a light bulb?

amy
Old 10-28-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No. But next time take the bulb to Home Depot. They are the biggest seller of light bulbs in the country. If they don't have what you need chances are they can tell you where to get I t.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My track lighting on my wall, I finally after hours get it out using the duck tape says I think MU15, I go to the store, Lowes, they don't carry MU15, they carry GU15. I really can't believe that I would need assistance to buy a light bulb.

Whatever happened to the regular 25w, 40w, 60w, 75w, 100w.? I threw out that mood lamp, replaced it with something I do know, it works, and I am happy.

Just gets to be really frustrating when you can't even change a light bulb. Still afraid to see if the flood lamps I bought for the basement actually fit.

amy
Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just tried a new light bulb in my basement. It was a flood light. I took one out that had died, I ordered from Amazon replacements, since I have at least 6 others that went out.

It was a little bit too recessed. But I finally got it in there, and I twisted it and twisted it, but there was no connection. Guess the base of this one was too short.

Just why, can't I change a light bulb. Am I that stupid?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

You're not stupid. Light bulbs these days are a nightmare. The old incandescent light bulbs are being phased out and replaced with compact fluorescents or LED's. The bases, the part that screws in, are all different now, wattage didn't mean anything any more, look for lumens for brightness, and there's no standard size anymore. The only good thing is they do save electricity.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You're not stupid. Light bulbs these days are a nightmare. The old incandescent light bulbs are being phased out and replaced with compact fluorescents or LED's. The bases, the part that screws in, are all different now, wattage didn't mean anything any more, look for lumens for brightness, and there's no standard size anymore. The only good thing is they do save electricity.
I am living in almost darkness right now, because I can't figure this out. I need an electrician to change my light bulbs. I can't afford one. I can somewhat understand lumens. I can't understand anything about the base of the light bulb. I would like to change to all LED, since they last longer, but they are too expensive to buy to find out they don't fit.

I had 2 people here with science degrees that had to go onto the computer to see how to change a light bulb. (lol)

This has really gotten to me and I am going back to the old fashioned table lamps.

amy
Old 10-28-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The lightbulb has to WANT to change......

dandylion

(that was a joke)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
The lightbulb has to WANT to change......

dandylion

(that was a joke)
Thank you, I needed the laugh. My light bulbs don't want to change.
amy
Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same thing with light bulbs. The 3 C's. Instead of dealing with something that I can't deal with, I went with something I could. I got out all my old reliable table lamps.

Now sitting here watching the World Series for the first time in I don't remember when, and my Mets are losing. Oh well.