What will happen to my father?

Old 09-07-2004, 03:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What will happen to my father?

Hello - I'm new here. My father is an alcoholic. He visited me this weekend and he sat on the couch and drank for 2 days straight. In a period of 36 hours, he drank 1 liter of bourbon and at least a 6 pack if not more. He started his daily drinking at 9:30 AM. He is 58 and can hardly walk. He drags his feet, walks crooked, has a swollen face, can't remember important conversations, and he is verbally and emotionally abusive to my mother. This man used to be a marathon runner. It's so sad what's happened over the years. He still works, but at this rate, he's bound to screw up at work and lose his business. He works for himself, so I know he drinks during the day at work - maybe not as much as the weekends, but I know he drinks 2 very strong liquor drinks everyday at lunch plus he starts his nightly drinking at 4 or 5. I hate seeing what he's doing to my mother. He's so helpless. He falls in their house, he's fallen in public. He shakes all the time. I know he will never stop. He stopped once and once he started back, he said he's never go through quitting again. What will happen to him physically? Any honest opinions will be appreciated!!!! Thanks so much. E
Old 09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"learning to just be me"

Originally Posted by e1974
He stopped once and once he started back, he said he's never go through quitting again. What will happen to him physically? Any honest opinions will be appreciated!!!! Thanks so much. E
I watched my x-boyfriend's dad in much the same situation. It was emotionally exahsting for me to watch the downhill slide. I saw my A. boyfriend's future being for-told to be there on the livingroom couch. They looked and acted so much alike. In my opinion, it is as hard on the family members to watch the A's body shut down as it is for the Alcoholic to stop drinking. -That's my opinion.- I don't have the knowledge or creditials to talk about how the body detoxes, I just know it is especially hard on some, while not so bad with others. There are probably some good books on the subject.

Al-Anon may be especially helpful for you and your mother. Do you live in the same town? One of the first things I learned in Al-Anon was I didn't cause it. I can't cure it and I can't control it. When the 3C's finally sunk in, I started learning coping skills.

The more you can learn about alcoholism the better prepared you are to understand the situation. Keep reading and posting. You will learn alot here and in the Al-Anon rooms.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hi E,
Welcome to SR. It is very scary and frustrating to see alcoholism ravage a loved one. Part of alcoholism is denial. Many alcoholics think that they have things under control, even when it is evident to many that they don't. This is the most painful part. They must see that they need help, and want it, before help is possible.

The Al-Anon program is for friends and families of alcoholics. Together we find the strength and support to deal with alcoholism in a more healthy way for us and our loved ones. Even if they don't seek help, we can find serenity and healing by reaching out to people who understand what we are going through, and can offer choices we may not have known we had.

I am glad that you joined us. Please feel free to browse, post, or reply. You will find that you are not alone, and that there are many who are going through similar situations. Be sure to check out the powerposts at the top of the forum. There is some great information there.

To find an Al-Anon meeting in your area http://www.al-anon-alateen.org/english.html and select "How to locate a meeting." Hugs, Magic