SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   feeling stupid (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/37762-feeling-stupid.html)

Gracey 09-07-2004 08:49 AM

feeling stupid

I feel really stupid today..........we had this new engineer that started.......and we all go into the boardroom and introduce are selves and tell a little bit about are background and personal info if we want..........

I started by saying of course who I am, my position, how long I have been there.......I told him a little bit about my kids, pets and ended it by saying that I love my job...........

my co-worker next to me says to me.......a little brown nose ha................talk about feeling embarrassed.......but I really do Love my job.........If I have to work........I would rather be here..........so anyway everyone after me.........made some sort of comment....on how they just loved their job too..........when it came to the chief engineer.......he says something to the affect I love my job and I like everyone here.........I said well, now I didnt say that...........lol everyone started to laugh......I tried to blow if off........but I feel really yucky.......and people made me feel bad for saying that.............I cant just shake off the brown nosing feeling............

I certainly didnt mean it like that ............I really do love my job.....but I guess that I will definetly keep that under wraps from now on...............

I hate this feeling.........and I feel stupid for expressing myself.................I know get over it right........

cwohio 09-07-2004 08:54 AM

gracey - you really are beating yourself up. i love my job too and i would be proud to say it in a meeting and the heck with what everyone else comments. maybe they are just jealous that you feel that way cuz they really don't like their jobs.

you need a major self-esteem boost!

by the way - i posted a picture of the kitty litter cake that you posted the recipe for in the other thread about low cost meals - i had gotten that a couple years ago and was going to make it for my step daughter.

hugs to you and don't ever be sorry or let anyone make you feel yucky about something you enjoy!

cwohio

Lorelai 09-07-2004 09:01 AM

Gracey -
You didn't do anything wrong. I can pretty much guarantee you that no one else in your office is even thinking about it right now. People sometimes want to try to be funny in meetings - especially around new people. They just want to look clever and kind of break the ice. It doesn't have anything to do with you.

Honey, you must stop feeling bad about everything that happens. You made a comment that was what you really felt. You didn't do it to try to brown nose.

You lightened up the meeting. You gave people a chance to laugh. They weren't laughing at you.

People don't make you feel bad for saying something. You make yourself feel bad. They can't make you feel anything.
L

Sandy Marie 09-07-2004 09:13 AM

Gracey,
You did wonderful at the board meeting. Pay no mind to the snippy remarks. They're just jealous that they didn't think of it first.
Sandy

Gracey 09-07-2004 09:28 AM

Everyone else has probably forgot about it already......and here I sit......my face must have turned to shades of red......after my co-worker mentioned brown nosing......why do I care........this happend to go along with my personality.....pleasing everyone......and not saying the wrong thing.....and usually dont give my opinion or say more then I have to........Why the heck do I make myself feel so bad.......I dont get it....

ASpouse 09-07-2004 09:30 AM

It's called "Lack of Self-Esteem". Apparently it sounds as if you don't think you matter or anything you say. I wish for you it could be different, it will be part of your recovery. You are a gentle soul that takes things very personally it sounds like.

Gracey 09-07-2004 09:31 AM

cwohio......the cake was really easy to make........where is the picture posted.........lol......I made that and bugers on stick, witches hands......day old bathwater......(punch).........I love halloween.............

Sandy Marie 09-07-2004 09:35 AM

Gracey,
We all do things we're not sure were precisely right at the time. I know how you feel as I've done and said many little things I wish I could take back. It's obvious that you're a sincere person and you really do like your work and the people there. Maybe your coworkers are not very sincere people anytime. It's nothing against you personally. You probably feel caught in the vortex because you can't physically get away. Try to take your mind somewhere else...to a better day....or to some future event that you're looking forward to. I know how you feel sweetie, but it's time to let it go.
Sandy

Gracey 09-07-2004 09:38 AM

does it really work.......standing in front of the mirror and saying you like yourself.......I guess what can it hurt, maybe I should try it..........I am sure others see my lack of confidence

Sandy Marie 09-07-2004 09:46 AM

I know it seems that way...but truely...everyone else has moved on to something else.

cwohio 09-07-2004 09:53 AM

gracey - the pic of the cake is in the "off topic help" thread.

i like halloween too - always did as a kid - had funhouses, parties, and of course, the candy. that is my addiction and my dentist can attest to that.

all of us here care about you - you ARE a good person and i hope that you will continue with your recovery.

hugs - cwohio

Sandy Marie 09-07-2004 09:57 AM

:grouphug:

redrose0729 09-07-2004 10:25 AM

Oh Gracey you are soo creative look at all the cool recipies you have for Halloween alone. By the way post some of the recipies I would like to try them out on the kids. Maybe I will take some of them to church...LOL

Gracey 09-07-2004 10:34 AM

I will post them.............bugers on a stick.........lol......I put them in the other thread though......

Patsyd1 09-07-2004 10:55 AM

so anyway everyone after me.........made some sort of comment....on how they just loved their job too..........when it came to the chief engineer.......he says something to the affect I love my job and I like everyone here.........I said well, now I didnt say that...........lol everyone started to laugh......I tried to blow if off........but I feel really yucky.......and people made me feel bad for saying that.............I cant just shake off the brown nosing feeling............

Hi Gracey,

Sounds to me that everyone after you had much the same to say as you did. I would suggest taking the focus off the only one in the room who had something negative to say and put the focus on the fact that you were honest, funny, and had a pretty quick come-back if you ask me. LOL

Focusing on that one person, when so many after you had similar things to share as you did? Well, that doesn't have anything to do with them, it has to do with where you are putting YOUR focus.

This person may have been joking that said that to you, or they may not have been. The thing to keep in mind is that YOU weren't joking, and that you were being honest when you shared what you did, and THAT is wonderful :)

You have no control over how anyone takes what you say, but you have control over if you allow what they say to affect you.

You did GOOD (((((Gracey))))))), now give yourself a pat on the back and put the focus on all the positive that took place at that meeting, and take the focus OFF that one negative thing that was said :)

Patsy

Gracey 09-07-2004 11:26 AM

Thank you everyone........

LovingMom 09-07-2004 02:26 PM

Gracey...Darlin you don't know me...but believe me..we two have something way in common. A very low low self esteem. I used to believe that if something was wrong in my office...it must have been caused by me...or I should have stopped it...and on and on. It was like that in all aspects of my life. I wanted so badly to please...so badly that I didn't even know it...I would walk through a store..see something on the floor and hang it back up...or if someone dumped something elsewhere in the store..I would go and find where it belonged...A buggy never stayed out in the parking lot of I was walking from my car to the store. Such a will to please. Yes, I suppose my forehead did say "Welcome" on it...Not so much anymore. This place has been a God send to me. I am good. You are good and we are all worthy of loving our jobs, being happy within ourselves and being at peace.

Mom