SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Totally OT - Recipe swap! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/377489-totally-ot-recipe-swap.html)

Wisconsin 10-15-2015 06:46 PM

Totally OT - Recipe swap!

What do you all think about sharing some recipes here? I know several posters have mentioned recipes in their posts and I always think "I would love that recipe!"

I'd love to try some new things, for sure.

Ileana 10-15-2015 06:57 PM

I would love to but will have to post tomorrow. Just too tired to think tonight.

suki44883 10-15-2015 06:59 PM

We have one going now...it's on Part 4. Come join in! :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5600897

amy55 10-15-2015 07:16 PM

Ok,

First know that I am Polish so I really don't go by measurements. (lol)

I love this recipe that I found in Dad's Own Cookbook by Bob Sloan

It's for Cajun BBQ Shrimp.

Ingredients: (serves 4)

1 1/2 lb shrimp

4 tbs (1 1/4 ) stick of butter or margarine

2 tbs worcestershire sauce

3 tbs ketchup

1 tbs cajun or creole seasoning

Juice of 2 lemons, (I take that to mean 2 tbs of lemon juice)

1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper

3 cloves of garlic, mince. ( I use minced garlic 3 tbs.

1 bay leaf, ( I substitute that with basil)

Equipment

9x11 pan
medium saucepan
whisk

Preheat oven to 450
Peel and devein shrimp
Melt butter and whisk in (or stir in) worcestershire sauce, ketchup, cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, garlic and basil.

Put shrimp or whatever in a single layer in pan, then pour the mixture over it.

Bake on center rack till shrimp is done. Turn shrimp over once while cooking.

The shrimp will take about 5 - 7 minutes.

Now how I changed this recipe.

I still use the shrimp, that is the only raw thing that I put into the pan.

I also add in pre cooked chicken, pre cooked chorizo sausage, fresh red peppers, and some onion. I don't precook the peppers and onion, because I like them el dente.

I serve this over brown rice.

I like this recipe because I can do almost everything in advance and put it in baggies till I am ready to cook for dinner.

Like I said, I am Polish so I can't give an exact recipe. Sometimes I double the amount of sauce. (lol) I just keep experimenting with it.

amy

FeelingGreat 10-15-2015 08:27 PM

Hey guys, give me a couple of hours to think and I'll be back. I'm really interested in southern USA cooking at the moment so looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

dandylion 10-16-2015 06:02 AM

LOL....amy, I have very seldom used an exact recipe for anything, either! I will look at recipes to get the basic "concept"....and, take it from there.
I don't do very much baking from scratch, though, for that very reason. for most baking, I have found that you have to be more precise.

dandylion

Lyssy 10-16-2015 07:16 AM

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I think we have done it before here. I will post some later.

Baking/cooking is one of my relaxation/coping methods. I find it so relaxing and satisfying.

I made Creamy Lime Squares last weekend that were to die for.

Mango blast 10-16-2015 07:46 AM

Soup:

Whatever vegetables are in the cupboard or fridge. Some meat, if available. Water, sea salt.
Can stop at this point, let simmer, adjust amount of water or sea salt, as needed.
Often adding garlic, olive oil, perhaps pepper or other seasonings.

Yesterday's soup:
1 red pepper, diced and sautéed in olive oil.
Chopped carrots, 1 1/2- 2 cups
Diced cabbage, 1/2 cup
1 15 oz can diced stewed tomatoes
1 15 oz can black beans, drained
1 cup ground beef (approximately)
water
Himalayan sea salt
dried parsley
a small amount of pepper
few dashes of cayenne pepper red sauce

Let the flavors of the vegetables do the work along with sea salt. If there's one thing I spend extra money on, it's good sea salts... then any bits of food can lovingly be combined into a delicious soup. Love and intent help, in my experience. Take out anger in chopping the vegetables, if the occasion calls for it. Add love into making the soup. Thankfulness for the ingredients tends to help, also. I've made a few soups that weren't a very good idea, but that's the learning process and giving up perfection.

This one used up carrots from a friend's garden, harvested in August and a small amount of cabbage that was under some bad outer leaves. It was a tiny piece of a cabbage head that looked like it should have been discarded, yet there was enough to add to the soup. I love celery and onion in soup, when I have it on hand.

Here's another:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-pot-soup.html

FireSprite 10-16-2015 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lyssy (Post 5602225)
I made Creamy Lime Squares last weekend that were to die for.

Yes, please!

I have about 24 ice-cube sized frozen chunks of fresh-squeezed key limes in my freezer, straight from a friend's tree. I wasn't ready to bake with them when they landed in my lap suddenly, so I squeezed & freezed the juice along with some of the rinds. ;)

firebolt 10-16-2015 09:52 AM

Ooohh - here is a guard with your life family recipe from way back ;) Fattening, and AMAZING!

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU

6 med chicken breasts
8 oz package Swiss cheese slices (use processed Swiss cheese, it melts better)
8 oz package sliced ham
3 T flour
1 t paprika
2 T butter
1/2 c dry white wine
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 T cornstarch
1 c heavy cream
Spread chicken breasts flat; fold cheese and ham slices to fit on top. Fold
breasts over filling and fasten with toothpicks. On waxed paper mix flour and
paprika and coat chicken pieces. In large skillet, melt butter, and cook chicken
until brown on all sides. Add wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low, cover
and simmer 30 min. Remove chicken and place on warm platter; remove
toothpicks. In cup, blend cornstarch and cream until smooth and gradually
add to skillet. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Serve over chicken.

unsureoffuture 10-16-2015 10:40 AM

Sausage green bean potato bake

2 packages of kielbasa (I use turkey kielbasa) the precooked kind by the hotdogs but can use any kind. I've also used the chicken apple sausage
2 can green beans drained
2 peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 c chopped onion
2 tbs minced garlic
4 tbs olive oil
dash Worcestershire sauce

Slice kielbasa into 1 inch rounds and place in skillet. Add a dash of Worcestershire sauce and brown over medium heat. Place into 9x13 casserole pan. Add diced potatoes, minced garlic and 2 cans green beans drained. Drizzle olive oil on top and mix well. bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. This is so easy and delicious.

Opivotal 10-16-2015 10:50 AM

Love all the recipes!!

Why not share in the thread we have going already? :)

Suki kindly posted the link, I'll post it again as these really belong in Cafe Central.

Thanks so much!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5600897 (The Recipe Thread ~ Part 4)

Lyssy 10-17-2015 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by FireSprite (Post 5602272)
Yes, please!

I have about 24 ice-cube sized frozen chunks of fresh-squeezed key limes in my freezer, straight from a friend's tree. I wasn't ready to bake with them when they landed in my lap suddenly, so I squeezed & freezed the juice along with some of the rinds. ;)

Here ya go.

Creamy Lime Squares | Rincón Cocina

The only thing I did different was not add quite as much zest to the crust. Maybe only a teaspoon. Oh, and I used Almond flour.

Once set - I suggest that you let it come to room temp to remove from pan or submerge bottom of pan in warm water to loosen the parchment paper.

The squares are creamy and sweet but also tart at the same time – and the serving size just right!

Creamy Lime Squares

Ingredients:

For The Crust:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
2/3 cup almond flour or ground nuts (any you prefer)
1 cup (4 ounces) graham-cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoons grated lime zest

For The Filling:

2 large egg yolks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (around 5 medium limes)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (around 1 medium lemon)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-inch square baking dish with melted butter. (This step is important because it will make it easy for you to remove the parchment paper later.) Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides.

2. To make the crust: Whisk almond flour/ground nuts with graham-cracker crumbs, sugar, and zest. Mix in butter. Press mixture into bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Cool crust, 30 minutes.

3. To make the filling: In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and condensed milk. Add lime juice and lemon juice; whisk until smooth. Pour filling into cooled crust; carefully spread to edges.

4. Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Cool in pan on rack; then chill at least 1 hour before serving. Using parchment paper overhang, lift out of pan, and transfer to a cutting board. With a serrated knife, cut into 16 squares, wiping knife with a damp kitchen towel between each cut.

Liveitwell 10-17-2015 09:56 AM

If you like spicy dips like I do, try this one out...so good!!
One bunch of cilantro
Two to three whole jalepenos (seeds and all) - I use serranos sometimes
One to two cups of mayo (or Greek yogurt)
One packet of ranch dip mix
Water - amount based on desired consistency

Throw all in blender and mix!! Best dip ever!

maia1234 10-17-2015 10:20 AM

Love the recipes!!!
I have a craft night at the church on Thursday and Book club on Friday and am always looking for different recipes.

FOG- can you use this dip with veggies or just nacho chips? How far in advance can I make the dip?

We have a very old and easy chocolate sauce recipe that goes on ice cream.

Melt together 3oz of unsweetened Bakers Chocolate (any brand) and 1/3 a cup of water on low.
Once melted, add 3/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/8 tsp. salt
Cook on low for 10 minutes stirring throughout
Take off after 10 minutes and add 2 Tbsp of butter and just under 1 tsp of vanilla.

Stir and serve. Store in the refrigerator and microwave to reheat. (I triple the recipe and keep for when the kids are in town)

Liveitwell 10-17-2015 11:50 AM

^^ I use the dip on everything....literally :) chips, veggies, in soups, on hamburgers/chicken, etc!