Substance abuse-reality tv style

Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Substance abuse-reality tv style

So I'm reading this morning that Lamar Odom is in a coma due to a stroke brought on my drugs and drinking-and those caused his divorce from the Kartrashians. Also heard Scott Disick is checking into rehab for alcoholism bc this incident opened his eyes...and he's lost his family. Alcoholism doesn't care if you're rich, poor, famous or just plain old people. It destroys!!!
A quote re Lamar rang true for me-and I'm sure it will for many of y'all as well. His ex wife stated: "Lamar is not a bad person-he just has very bad demons. When Lamar is good, he's good. But when he's bad, there's no way of getting any worse. " Yep.

Anyway, I am thankful when the media actually highlights these stories-hopeful maybe it can cause someone out there to make a change.

My deep thoughts (!) for the day peace to you!!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honestly, my mother's freefall into alcoholism has been a blessing in that it has taken the "glamour" and "excitement" of alcohol down quite a few notches for my teenagers who have witnessed my mother acting so shamefully and crazily on more than a few occasions. And she is a wealthy woman who would appear to not have a care in the world . . . .
Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

^^ yes. There is nothing glamorous about it.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm always puzzled although not surprised when successful athletes in particular supposedly get addicted to drugs. I think with celebrity money and status drug use is considered like a glass of whine. There seems to be a casual attitude towards the substance along with breaking the law.

One would figure an athlete in particular should be familiar with the discipline, motivation and knowledge of one's physical self to avoid these substances. But do they really want to avoid them or struggle with them? Do they think they are above the consequences?

I know addicts go through a lot of money but when I saw that Odom spent $75,000 on partying/substances in a week that goes beyond addiction and into gluttony/pure selfishness. Some say Odom regrets doing the Kardashian reality show but that was his choice. I don't think he was on skid row when he made that decision although his current situation shows he probably could've used or needed money.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lamar Odom's story breaks my heart. It just shows the pull of addiction. I think all of us in this forum know how the craziness of addiction hurts and pains us all, the addict and all of us who love them...it destroys people and families no matter how much money one has.

I will continue to pray for him and his family. Nobody is winning in this situation. We are all just people and it bugs me when people forget that.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

His dad was an addict (drugs and alcohol) and he had a lot if childhood trauma-NOT saying that is an excuse but I would be a lot/some of here could say the same about our spouses/ex spouses or even oyrselves. The difference is some people recognize it and seek out change....he did not. I truly hope he survives abd chooses a healthy life. I want that for all of the alcoholics we love/did once love.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

^^ yikes-sorry for the spelling errors-Friday afternoon brain in full effect
Old 10-16-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's terribly sad ! And also terribly sad to watch Scott Disick who also was a partner of Kourtney Kardashian. He reminds me of my AH with his attitude! I feel so sorry for his 3 kids with the fact that his decline was televised and I'm sure they will see it all some day!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I think it underlines (once again) that addiction is no respecter of persons.

dandylion
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
Kartrashians.
Heh!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I heard an interview of a former wife of a baseball star in which she actually said, "He started to believe his own press releases." Many times these folk are surrounded by yes-men who say whatever the star wants to hear, I guess.