The Language of Letting Go, October 12

Old 10-12-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, October 12

OCTOBER 12

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Being Gentle with Ourselves During Times of Grief

The process of adapting to change and loss takes energy. Grief is draining, sometimes exhausting. Some people need to "cocoon for transformation," in Pat Carnes's words, while going through grief.

We may feel more tired than usual. Our ability to function well in other areas of our life may be reduced temporarily. We may want to hide out in the safety of our bedroom.

Grief is heavy. It can wear us down.

It's okay to be gentle with ourselves when we're gong through change and grief. Yes, we want to maintain the disciplines of recovery. But we can be compassionate with ourselves. We do not have to expect more from ourselves than we can deliver during this time. We do not even have to expect as much from ourselves as we would normally and reasonably expect.

We may need more rest, more sleep, more comfort. We may be more needy and have less to give. It is okay to accept ourselves, and our changed needs, during times of grief, stress, and change.

It is okay to allow ourselves to cocoon during times of transformation. We can surrender to the process, and trust that a new, exciting energy is being created within us.

Before long, we will take wings and fly.

Higher Power, help me accept my changed needs during times of grief, change, and loss.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Teri

Change is the preferred term for me. Yes i appreciate very much the gentle yet serious note of my counciling center. A New Way & acceptance is best when not scarey bc i feel safe enough to get honest. I am greatfull.