My Dad Understood What Makes Me Tick

Old 10-08-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Dad Understood What Makes Me Tick

A big part of recovery is to identify your triggers and figure out ways to overcome them when temptation arises.

For me, it was a death in the family. My dad passed away a few years ago and he died with his boots on.

I wasn't overly sad at the funeral, but of course there were lots of tears and hugging.

I put my grieving on the back burner and then I a relapse a few years later because I realized I hadn't TOTALLY grieved and wasn't COMPLETELY DONE...

The part I miss the most about him was the fact that he really understood what made me tick. And there are just not very many people in this world who do...when I cross paths with them it feels like D-DAY!! And I somehow feel a bit shaken up.

So there were many things about my dad that we just clicked on and he was very perceptive about what I needed. He just KNEW when I wanted to be left alone...he GOT that. I get sooooo FRUSTRATED when I need to be alone and I can't.

Another thing we clicked on was music. We just sort of blended in really nice without even trying real hard. That was sublime and something I really miss....making sweet music together.

He never had a weight problem and kept himself pretty fit...

He didn't eat too fast. I get SSOoooo ANNOYED when people eat too fast. It just makes me feel all icky...probably because I am a VERY slow eater and always have been. He GOT that...in fact, being raised by him is maybe why I am such a slow eater...I learned it from him....

He was extremely outdoorsy; just his nature...he was happier outside than just about anywhere. He was part of it; part of the land...Well I'm that way too and likely got it from him!

So these are just a few things that I loved about my dad and what I miss and why he understood me so well.....

Again=a big part of sobriety is processing grief and I had to work through all that. I miss my dad so much.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TT-
Hugs my friend!! It takes time and sole searching to figure out who we are!!