The Language of Letting Go, October 3

Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, October 3

OCTOBER 3

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Getting Through the Discomfort

Surrender to the pain. Then learn to surrender to the good. It's there and more is on the way.
--Beyond Codependency

Our goal in recovery is to make us feel comfortable, peaceful, and content. Happy. We want to be at peace with our environment and ourselves. Sometimes, to do that, we need to be willing to face, feel, and get through discomfort.

I am not talking here about being addicted to misery and pain. I am not talking about creating unnecessary pain. I'm talking about the legitimate discomfort we sometimes need to feel as we heal.

When we have surgery, the pain hurts most the day after the operation. When we do the kind of work we are facing in recovery, we are doing an emotional, mental, and spiritual surgery on ourselves. We're removing parts of us that are infected and inflamed.

Sometimes the process hurts. We are strong enough to survive discomfort and temporary feelings of emotional pain. Once we are willing to face and feel our discomfort and pain, we are almost to the point of release.

Today I am willing to face my discomfort, trusting that healing and release are on the other side. Help me, Higher Power, to be open to feeling whatever I need to feel to be healed and healthy. While I am doing this, I will trust I am cared for and protected by my friends, my Higher Power, the Universe, and myself.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, I needed this right now. Thank you.