Compassion

Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Compassion

I was reading the monthly email put out by a local shop that sells crystals and holds various classes. This writing on compassion was in it, I believe authored by the shop's owner. It seemed to me that her interpretation of compassion was one that we here at SR might find useful. Here it is:

"Compassion is the act of giving from your heart in a way that touches others on a heart level. This may include assisting them in some way that they cannot assist themselves in the moment - a hug, a kind word, a meal, helping out at their home, raising funds, reaching out afar to allow others the privilege of helping. Compassion allows others the right to feel their pain but not be allowed to become stuck in the pattern of it. That is collusion. Compassion will assist the individual in rising out of the situation, to see in a new way why the situation occurred and to learn from it. When we can assist another in the lesson of the struggle, the suffering, the difficulty, then we have used our compassionate heart to raise the level of love, not only in that particular situation, but in the overall, Universal way.

Compassion is not feeling sorry for other's suffering - it is using the love for that person to assist them with comfort and healing. When someone is stuck in a lifelong pattern of self-suffering, to allow that behavior to continue through pity is not compassionate. To hold that person in love and allow them the gift of that long term suffering until they are ready to release it and move on is compassion. Just hold them in love but do not collude in the suffering as then you will also suffer which is not being compassionate to yourself. Very often we can be compassionate from a distance simply by coming from the heart and holding the energy of that love for the individual. Then it is up to them to either accept it as a gift or turn it away as a rejection of their story. But as long as you are truly holding them with love, the outcome does not matter. Whenever you expect an outcome, then you are not being compassionate, you are trying to control another's life. True compassion is selfless."
Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Compassion is not feeling sorry for other's suffering - it is using the love for that person to assist them with comfort and healing. When someone is stuck in a lifelong pattern of self-suffering, to allow that behavior to continue through pity is not compassionate. To hold that person in love and allow them the gift of that long term suffering until they are ready to release it and move on is compassion. Just hold them in love but do not collude in the suffering as then you will also suffer which is not being compassionate to yourself. Very often we can be compassionate from a distance simply by coming from the heart and holding the energy of that love for the individual. Then it is up to them to either accept it as a gift or turn it away as a rejection of their story. But as long as you are truly holding them with love, the outcome does not matter. Whenever you expect an outcome, then you are not being compassionate, you are trying to control another's life. True compassion is selfless."

This really hit home for me in regards to one particular relationship; she really put words to what I've been struggling to define/understand. Often it doesn't FEEL compassionate when you have distance/detachment, especially to the injured party that has been feeding off the energy they are receiving from you.

And at first glance, having expectations that someone heal & live a healthy life doesn't seem wrong, especially a person that you love. It is HARD to accept that some people really do not WANT to heal.

THANK YOU for sharing!!
Old 10-02-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Compassion is not feeling sorry for other's suffering - it is using the love for that person to assist them with comfort and healing. When someone is stuck in a lifelong pattern of self-suffering, to allow that behavior to continue through pity is not compassionate. To hold that person in love and allow them the gift of that long term suffering until they are ready to release it and move on is compassion. Just hold them in love but do not collude in the suffering as then you will also suffer which is not being compassionate to yourself.

Just as I struggled forever w/the concept of forgiveness until one day a particular quote, like a bolt out of the blue, really brought it home to me, this writing clarified compassion for me w/a strength I'd not felt before. I'm glad others here are finding help in it also.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

wow. one of the most powerful reads in a long time......thank you so much.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Talking to my daughter just now about a friend/coworker of hers that appears to be dealing with some alcohol abuse issues. Remembered this post, and jumped on SR to read it to her.

Thanks HP.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

~~big phat bump~~

I remembered this post recently & wanted to go back & give it another read. It was simple & yet SO powerful, thanks again honeypig!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, it's very good!