The Language of Letting Go, September 25

Old 09-25-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, September 25

SEPTEMBER 26

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Feeling Protected

Our task is not a naive one of feeling safe, of living and loving in a utopian world. One woman commented that our task is making ourselves feel safe while learning to live and love in a world that is unsafe.

We do not want to dwell on the dangers for that gives power to the negative. Neither do we want to ignore them or pretend they don't exist.

If we were going to sunbathe, we would not be naive about the dangers from the sun. We know that harmful rays can burn. We would take steps to protect ourselves, so that we could enjoy the benefits of the sun.

That is our task in recovery.

This is what a woman, a helping professional, told me:

Picture a sunscreen surrounding you. Place it around yourself - not too heavy and thick so no light can penetrate, and not so thin that you are exposed to danger.

See yourself protected by a sunscreen that is effective. Make certain that the screen is open to the good. For a while, your screen was too heavy. It held back what you wanted. Now change it to let the good come through.

This is your screen for life and the world. See it. Imagine it surrounding you always. It wraps you in love, in comfort, in protection. No harm can enter. No negative energy can penetrate the screen.

Go in peace; go in safety. Go now, knowing you are protected. Go anywhere you need to go. The evil has been blocked; the goodwill comes pouring forth. You do not have to work so hard at protecting yourself. You can relax and enjoy life trusting that you are safe. Go without fear, for you are wrapped in love and protection. And you shall always be.

Today I will envision myself wrapped in a shield that blocks the negative and harmful rays of the world, but it is constructed so that the good can enter.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I really love this and have not read this one before, thank you for posting! I am going to construct and imagine my own screen today
Old 09-25-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Uplifting, I have tended to frequently use the wrong screen at the wrong time also...I find myself thinking about today's post in terms of picking the right clothes to wear when going out for a walk or run.

Out of fear, I've put on heavy things at times when I didn't really need them and thus missed out on a lot of the good stuff in life. I've also put on really light things at times when I should have "dressed warmer" and have ended up getting hurt emotionally, financially or otherwise.

Some time ago, I posted here about XAH and I helping a turtle who was crossing a busy highway to get safely to a nearby pond. Some folks here said I should consider that perhaps the turtle was sent as a kind of guide. I googled "turtle spirit guide" and similar terms and found that yes indeed, the turtle has a lot to teach me, w/one of the main things being to go sloooow--think about things, assess things, take my time before deciding/answering/choosing. And I think that this is exactly what I need to do--slow down, see clearly--before picking which "clothes to wear."

No need for a heavy wool coat that blocks out the pleasant breeze, but I don't want to be freezing in an Arctic blast while wearing a T-shirt, either!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Makes total sense and this was a good reminder/insight for me to figure out which "screen" will fit and serve me best. Sometimes I have no screen and I think I can manage all that comes my way and get very hurt in the process and sometimes I shut everything out and let no good come in. In this recovery process for me I am really trying to work on that screen for me that can and does allow good to come in but not letting in things that look or "feel good" and mistake that for what will inevitably lead to pain or harm to me.

I love the turtle story