relationships

Old 09-18-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

yes coping skills... my parents got divorced when I was young and I don't talk to my father.. I started drinking like people usually do but drank more and more.. I was always awkward in social settings and found booze opened me up.. I was very much a loner though so the bottle kind of became my best friend.. same ole familiar sorta story... im just a garden variety alkie. I just drank on top of bad feelings and never naturally got through any life experiences.. hence the emotional immaturity... but I find AA helps me the most..
Old 09-18-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gonzo51511 View Post
and thanks for all your very helpful comments amy.. very much appreciated... I will keep comments on the other side.. don't wanna tick anyone off.. im in enough hot water as it is
You aren't ticking anyone off. We are here listening to you. We know how important that is to someone, and you are someone, and you are doing great.

amy
Old 09-18-2015, 07:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yes coping skills... my parents got divorced when I was young and I don't talk to my father.. I started drinking like people usually do but drank more and more.. I was always awkward in social settings and found booze opened me up.. I was very much a loner though so the bottle kind of became my best friend.. same ole familiar sorta story... im just a garden variety alkie. I just drank on top of bad feelings and never naturally got through any life experiences.. hence the emotional immaturity... but I find AA helps me the most..
You know, we have a lot of this on the f&F side of things. There are many coping mechanisms for this. Not the rights ones, but they are coping mechanisms, but most of them all involve stuffing our own feelings.

amy
Old 09-18-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
You know, we have a lot of this on the f&F side of things. There are many coping mechanisms for this. Not the rights ones, but they are coping mechanisms, but most of them all involve stuffing our own feelings.

amy
You know, that came out all the wrong way, we come here with lousy coping skills, we leave here with better ones.

amy
Old 09-18-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Can a gf ever love and forgive again? I am a recovering alcoholic 100% focused on my recovery. I go to AA several meetings daily and am working steps with my sponsor.. im just confused cuz if i contact her she replies but she is pretty short obviously. . Im pretty sure we still have a lot of love between us but i know she needs her space and i need to be focused on recovery..anyways just curious on non alcoholic point of views..i know already what AA has to say...
I'm a guy so I can't speak as to whether a girlfriend can forgive someone, but for what it's worth, I have no idea if I'd ever be able to forgive my ex wife for the things she did when she was drunk. Even if I was able to find some way to forgive them, I certainly couldn't forget them.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Do you, can you, trust her? Because this:

she says we are friends and friends are a good place..
seems like something to hold onto and believe can provide a base to rebuild from. It takes time to rebuild and a base is needed for that. It's a start. Trying to rush it or make it a 'sure' thing is very likely to backfire. So if you can find it in you to be patient and trust, it might help. At least trust that things will work out as they're meant to work out, if nothing else.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Gonzo

Welcome to SR.

My husband is the AH in my life and we have three children. It's been a tough road. He is not in recovery.

I have been coming here for years and I have been attending Al Anon for nine months. I have educated myself on this awful disease. I love my AH very much. He works hard and provides well for us. He also drinks every evening after work 365 days a year.

I don't know if we will stay together. At the moment life is pretty good I am working my program and what he does is up to him.

I have forgiven him many times for things to has said, he can get quite verbally abusive at times and says some nasty stuff. He never gets physical or I would be out. But verbal back out stuff is not nice to live with.

I go to Al Anon and absolutely love the strength and hope that I get there. I love my AH but can only work in myself and each day I am moving forward.

I wish you all the best and congratulations on seeking recovery yourself. I wish my husband would but he hasn't reached bottom yet so I can only take care of myself and our children.

Since attending Al Anon and working hard on myself our home life is so much better and I am so thankful for that.

Take care and all the best Phiz
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your positive feedback... be well all!!