Where did you go first??

Old 09-14-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where did you go first??

Family? Rental/apartment?? Just curious about when people leave, where they choose to go. My family lives about 2 1/2 hours away. However my job has telecommute status. And yet my life is here, my church and most of my friends, my babysitter for LO. Just curious about where the ones that have left started out on their journey to freedom 🏄
Old 09-14-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Apartment both times I left (different husbands). Both times I moved just a few miles away.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Started looking for apartments first, then talked to an attorney, then a local DV organization to see what happens if things escalate, then talked to landlords and got the place.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I moved back to my home state, about 750 miles away. I didn't have a support system when I lived with my ex and I was very isolated from everyone but his family who had been less than helpful when I tried to leave in the past. Plus we weren't married, so the law was on my side when I left with our son. I know it's different for married couples.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pia

I stayed in my house and told him he had to go. I also told him if he came back I would call the cops and my dad immediately so he needed to get everything.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I moved 3.5 miles away into a darling little apartment. It is too close to XABF, but it's only a year lease, and I'm 3.5 miles further from the the chaos
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After fruitlessly asking my AH to move out of our rental, I rented an apartment on my own. It's about 2 miles away from where we were before. Family was not an option for me--nobody is local, and I have an excellent job I cannot and will not move away from. It took awhile to find a place (about two months), but in the end, I ended up in the best possible place.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I stayed at mom's house, about 3 hours away. After that, I came back down here and am currently staying in a hotel and moving out at the end of next week, into an apartment. The apartment took me over 2 months to find.

Sue
Old 09-15-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, yeah. To get into more detail, when I left the second time I went to an el-cheapo motel for three days just because I needed a few days to regroup and plan in peace. From there, I went to my brother's house for just a few days while I apartment-hunted. I had my new place and was moved in within a couple of weeks of leaving.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I stayed put in the house with my kids. He went to his moms...and is still there, over a year later. Yep! (He tried to blame that on me as well!) The best thing I have done in my life was to see an attorney about my rights...it was also the hardest thing I had done at that point in my life. I also started talking-and telling close friends what life was like at home as my husbands alcoholism progressed, the abuse the kids and I endured. My only regret is that I didn't leave sooner.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We were renting from his family when we were still together, so I left. Didn't even question the necessity of being the one to go. I initially moved DS and I into a 1 bd apartment in a secure building. When that first lease ended and they raised the rates, my sister and her family let us move in with them.