Many, many thanks

Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Many, many thanks

To have found SR has been a blessing. To think I came here today lost, emotionally numb, mentally in turmoil. I realize the roller coaster is far, far from over. But I now have an outlet. A safe place. And I think perhaps with the nature of what is discussed here that it might be easy to become lost in the despair of why we are all here. Maybe that's because I am so new to this sort of camaraderie. I certainly was overwhelmed. Technically, I am still overwhelmed, but for entirely different reasons.

This morning, I felt like Tom Hanks screaming for Wilson. Now, I feel enveloped in a chorus of voices, all speaking my language. Thank you all of you for your courage, for your compassion. Anyone can throw hands in the air and walk away, gain a personal victory and leave it at that. Not everyone has it in them to not only share such personal, painful experiences, but to exchange them for the personal, painful experiences of others. And in that trade, I see beauty. Growth. Hope.

I have been a good kid, creeping through old posts and finding all kinds of helpful information. I think I now know how to navigate Al-Anon. Some things I have found here shock me because of similarity, others surprise me because of outright accuracy I hadn't considered, while still others hand me building blocks I have lacked to build my life forward. The concept of an emotional bank account shifted my universe slightly to the left, just saying.

In case anyone out there miiiight need to hear it: thank you! I have certainly needed this.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,InfoSponge!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Just a visual for you:

When I stumbled upon recovery in pain and severely damaged, I felt like a top-heavy ocean tanker with my top deck loaded with painful stuff but bottom hold empty and bobbling sideways, tipping. My tanker was in a monsoon, nearly toppled every wave down into a watery oblivion.

Every recovery voice I heard, every recovery bit I read, every recovery friend I made, every recovery meeting I attended, was like a heavy chunk of ballast I could throw down into the hold to steady the tanker. The more recovery stuff, the steadier the accumulated ballast enabled the sailing the rough seas.

Here you will find comforting love, tough love, straight talk, lots of experience, strength and HOPE from recovery.

It grows on ya!

CLMI
Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You write SO well Info!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcoming! :-D

CLMI: I can definitely relate to that visual. That's one of the wonderful things about this place, reading over and over again so many different vivid impressions of the very same thing I've been trying to put a finger on. Definitely lets me know I'm in the right place!

Meggem: I try. :-P Lol. Thank you for saying so. I have an odd love affair with the written / spoken word.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InfoSponge View Post
To have found SR has been a blessing. To think I came here today lost, emotionally numb, mentally in turmoil. I realize the roller coaster is far, far from over. But I now have an outlet. A safe place. And I think perhaps with the nature of what is discussed here that it might be easy to become lost in the despair of why we are all here. Maybe that's because I am so new to this sort of camaraderie. I certainly was overwhelmed. Technically, I am still overwhelmed, but for entirely different reasons.

This morning, I felt like Tom Hanks screaming for Wilson. Now, I feel enveloped in a chorus of voices, all speaking my language. Thank you all of you for your courage, for your compassion. Anyone can throw hands in the air and walk away, gain a personal victory and leave it at that. Not everyone has it in them to not only share such personal, painful experiences, but to exchange them for the personal, painful experiences of others. And in that trade, I see beauty. Growth. Hope.

I have been a good kid, creeping through old posts and finding all kinds of helpful information. I think I now know how to navigate Al-Anon. Some things I have found here shock me because of similarity, others surprise me because of outright accuracy I hadn't considered, while still others hand me building blocks I have lacked to build my life forward. The concept of an emotional bank account shifted my universe slightly to the left, just saying.

In case anyone out there miiiight need to hear it: thank you! I have certainly needed this.
I feel exactly the same!!
Old 09-03-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep - this place has been a safe haven for me too - it's helped me restore my sanity and work on myself to have a better life. A Godsend. Stick around - I know you'll pay it forward in here