From the mouths of babes - your laugh for today

Old 09-02-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From the mouths of babes - your laugh for today

RAH I recently celebrated our 21st anniversary. We were standing around the kitchen on Sunday afternoon, each doing different chores & whatnot & joking back & forth about "wow, that's a long time!" ... "yeah", I say, "a long time to put up with THAT!" - gesturing to RAH, he shoots back, "right, you're a cakewalk, uh huh...." etc.

And then we both straightened out the jokes, both expressing the point that, "seriously, it hasn't been all bad, we've had a lot of great times & a lot of blessings & we're working toward better, blah, blah, blah...."

DD11 has always had impeccable timing & a natural gift for sarcasm & tone. She'd been listening but not talking until this point - without missing a beat she announces, "REALLY? .....'cuz I've only been around for about the last 10 & it's been a DISASTER!" She held her straight face for about 30 seconds before running off, giggling out of control while I fought hard to not choke on my iced tea.

We barely looked at each other & broke into laughter. Well played DD, well played.......
Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I'm impressed! Thirty seconds is a looooooong time for an 11 year old to hold a straight face. Kudos to her! I'm in my 50's and can barely finish the joke before I start giggling. She sounds adorable.

Oh, and Happy Aniversary!!!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That was brilliant! She must be a bright little lady-10 going on 20?

Oh, yes,,,, Happy Anniversary, and may you have many more, with each happier than the last.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So funny FS!!! They are so smart, aren't they!!!

Happy Anniversary!!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very cute. Glad she has a mature sense of humor about life, that will surely come in handy!

Reminds me of a student who overheard me arguing, hanging up, yelling and screaming over the phone with my friend W. I didn't know at the time W had real alcoholic issues. All I knew is he kept denying and projecting all the blame on me for everything when I wasn't reciprocating. We had always been platonic friends, but W kept blaming me for why we were never more than that. I was never interested, that was never an option or an issue. But we were arguing so loudly, back and forth, back and forth.

When I hung up for the last time on my friend, my student turned and said to me: "Whoever that was, you need to get divorced!"

So funny, put a bright spin in the middle of a bad moment.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Talking

FireSprite....that is really funny! Do you think she has potential for becoming a stand-up comedian...? She already writes good material......lol.

dandylion
Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're right Karma - I exaggerated her timing.... it should be edited to read, "3.0 seconds", that was probably closer to the reality.

I love this comment because it's so REAL. She's not afraid to shine a light on the fact that problems have OBVIOUSLY existed in our relationship. Being open in our recoveries has probably allowed her a feeling of inclusion; she doesn't just observe us in this process, she cheers us on because she knows what we struggle with. (not just the surface stuff, but the deep rooted behaviors & insecurities) That inclusion also gives her permission to comment respectfully on things in our household.

She's been a HUGE supporter in my recent war on emotional eating/eating disorders - she "friended" me on an app that I use to record my workouts & is always commenting on reading my updates. "Wow, good walk this morning Mom - you made 4 miles!" "You walked less today, but broke your time-per-mile average, wtg!"

She's been like this since age 3, it really is an innate part of her Self. My boss is always laughing about how she "gets it" & marvels at how she swings from super-witty to super-sweet. Highly empathic - at 5 she told me, "the way I figure it" (direct quote, I swear), "if I learn from YOUR mistakes, I won't have to make them to understand."

I know I've said it 1000x times, but she is the best barometer I have found to measure my own recovery. When she asks questions or parrots back recovery-speak/actions, I know I'm on the right path. When she shares her struggles & we talk it through & I see her tackling things with a greater clarity or confidence than I ever had at that age, a deep, inner-part of me heals just a touch. I firmly believe that when we truly change the pattern for our children & walk that path with them, we ALL heal.

dandy - she's allllll about musical theatre, the exaggerated style, the expressive song. She got a ton of older ones on dvd for Christmas last year & it's a riot watching her enjoy & "mostly" understand things like "Little Shop of Horrors". This year she is starting official theatre & vocal class at school & participating in the AVID & Cambridge programs..... it's a BIG year, I am SO excited for her to have these opportunities!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just love this post and am very happy for y'all-you are doing a fabulous job raising her into a strong, courageous young woman. Love to you!