SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Book Thread: What are you reading? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/374708-book-thread-what-you-reading.html)

LiveInPeace 12-04-2015 01:42 PM

I'm reading Soothe: How to find calm amid everyday chaos, by Jim Brickman (the musician). It's a nice light read with good tips. He writes as if he is speaking to you.

Liveitwell 02-09-2016 06:53 PM

".The body keeps the score". Just the best, most comprehensive book on trauma and abuse I've put my hands on. The content is so technical but the author lays it out so it reads like a novel-seriously can't put it down or recommend it enough.

Acheleus 02-09-2016 07:19 PM

I miss reading. Lately I have been reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens.

Soberpotamus 02-09-2016 07:23 PM

I'm finishing up Elizabeth Strout's 'My Name Is Lucy Barton.'

Also reading a book on habit change, Sartre, and a Joyce Carol Oates interview compilation.

PaulDaveSmithJo 02-09-2016 08:12 PM

Letters from a Stoic by Seneca
The Nature of the Gods by Cicero
The Doctrine of Deification in the Greek Patristic Tradition by Norman Russell
You Are Not Your Brain by Jeffrey M. Schwartz
The Biology of Desire: Why Addiction is Not a Disease by Marc Lewis
Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana

SparkleKitty 02-10-2016 04:07 AM

Currently working my way through the entire Sherlock Holmes collection, and when I can't lug that monstrosity around I am reading Petty, Warren Zanes' biography of Tom Petty.

FireSprite 02-10-2016 07:14 AM

I just re-read The Shack for the 2nd time - well, I listened to it on audio. I was surprised at how much I liked hearing it narrated. Knowing the book/story/principles it was a sort of a shift in my perspective to hear parts of it vs. reading it in print.

I also listened to "People I Want To Punch In The Throat" by Jen Mann for a light , funny listen for my crappy morning commute. I enjoyed it & definitely LOL'd a few times so Mission Accomplished. (heads up if you don't like cussing though)

Just finished "Fish!" for a work-related read. It was, Meh. It has good theories & we actually practice a lot of what they talk about in our office already - on a basic level it was a good team-building type of book. I couldn't help but remark that it kind of takes a tiny part of Brene Brown's work & molds it into a business 1-2-3 exercise.

Next up - I'm in the middle of "Drinking & Tweeting" by Brandi Glanville from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I had just finished watching 2 seasons of the show & thought, wth, why not?

On audio I have "Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child" by Thich Nhat Hanh... I feel like it's going to be a powerful read & I think I'm working up my courage to dive into this part of my healing. I've had the CD's for weeks & I just keep looking at them, ha.

Lyssy 02-10-2016 09:50 AM

Just finished:
Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde

This is a cute, easy read (listen). It deals with a 9 yo girl whose mother is an addict. The rest of the tenants of the apartment complex come together to help take care of Grace, each of which have their own issues and problems.

It weaves in concepts of enabling, 12 step programs and other AA, NA and Al Anon concepts without being "preachy".

I had no idea when I added it to my listen library what it was all about.

Before ^^ I listened to:
F*ck Feelings by Michael Bennett MD, Sarah Bennett
recommended by FireSprite. This is a great book.

Just started:
Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story by Jewel
Wow. Very powerful.

FireSprite 02-22-2016 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by FireSprite (Post 5789380)
On audio I have "Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child" by Thich Nhat Hanh... I feel like it's going to be a powerful read & I think I'm working up my courage to dive into this part of my healing. I've had the CD's for weeks & I just keep looking at them, ha.

I wish I had been wrong about this but I wasn't. Mind. Blown. & I'm only halfway through. :scared:

I'm once again incredibly happy it fell into my lap after my Brene Brown work & that I've been open to doing all kind of different recovery work like reiki, etc. I could have never accepted some of these principles without that groundwork. I'm still listening on audio, but I am already on the hunt for a cheap printed copy - too much to absorb & I'll have to revisit parts again & again.

FireSprite 02-22-2016 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Forourgirls (Post 5788728)
".The body keeps the score". Just the best, most comprehensive book on trauma and abuse I've put my hands on. The content is so technical but the author lays it out so it reads like a novel-seriously can't put it down or recommend it enough.

I just picked this up on your recommendation.... (I know someone else here suggested it to you as well)..... it looks dense but amazingly insightful. I know it'll be a long, slow read for me because I tend take breaks to let myself absorb something this heavy. :tyou

lizatola 02-22-2016 05:23 PM

I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's book, "David and Goliath...."

and, I'm reading a book recommended to me by my aunt called, "Calling in the One: 7 weeks to Attract the Love of Your Life". Yes, I at first scoffed at the title but I have gotten so much out of this book that I recommend it to everyone, even my married friends. I swear it's changed my life by doing the exercises, the meditations, the journaling, etc that the author prescribes. It goes hand in hand with my recovery work. Honestly, if you are looking for a book that will inspire you to face your fears, work through your past, address your issues of your heart and soul, and prepare yourself to love unconditionally, this is a great read. I can't say enough positive about it. I've been working through it slowly and I can't say that I've done every single exercise, but I do intend to go back through it and see if I've applied what I've learned and re-do some of the exercises that were truly meaningful to me.

Stung 02-22-2016 09:42 PM

Just finished reading The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, which I thought was an amazing recovery/self help based book with a different perspective.

Soberpotamus 02-23-2016 02:21 AM

I read that one, Stung. So interesting. Loved the inclusion of alcoholism and how AA works via belief and habit tweaking.

Also, I find it interesting the idea that habits can't be eradicated, only changed. It makes sense if you consider the grooves in the brain and neural wiring and all that.

Yurt 02-23-2016 05:06 AM

I feel like such a slug, after reading many of these posts.
One of my indulgences is to read (or listen to) trashy novels. I don't have that opportunity very often, but when I do, I tend to gravitate to science fiction and horror. Currently, in my Kindle line-up is the latest zombie series that I stumbled across by Deidre Gould. I know that this is like having twinkies for dinner, but I save the decent literature for the summer, when I actually have time to think about what I am reading.

Soberpotamus 02-23-2016 05:08 AM

Yurt, I think we should all definitely read what we like. :)

To each her own, right? It's all good.

FireSprite 02-23-2016 07:12 AM

I adore trash reading, Yurt. I generally have multiple reads going at the same time because I can only take so much dense, brainy work vs. relaxing fantasy.

Some of my favorites are the Black Dagger Brotherhood series (JR Ward) - lots of vampires, lots of sex. The Riley Jenson series (Keri Arthur) is a favorite too, but I haven't read them all yet. (I started when there were only 2-3 books I think, I need to circle back to that.) Tom Robbins' books are brainy but ridiculous & mind opening, love him. I used to love the old VC Andrews books & Nora Robert's stuff, such a great way to escape & relax for a short while. :)

FireSprite 03-08-2016 09:36 AM

"Carry On, Warrior" by Glennon Doyle Melton - I am about halfway through this on audio & it's so good even DD keeps rewinding to hear parts of it. This is an excellent addition to any recovery reading.

Here's her TED talk, which touches on only a very small part of all that her book discusses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHHPNMIK-fY

Soberpotamus 03-08-2016 09:38 AM

The Door by Magda Szabó