"What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self"

Old 09-01-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self"

If you could send a letter back through time to your younger self, what would the letter say?

The author of this book (Ellyn Spragins) challenged 40 famous women with this question & then published the results as a book of essays. I just finished reading it & I found it highly inspiring! I was as moved by the commonalities in their struggles as I was the unique way they each worded their "advice".

Even though it's not a recovery-specific piece, I think I'm going to tackle this question & write my own essay in my journal. It feels like a great exercise if you want to address your Inner child if nothing else - although I definitely see the potential for it to be a cathartic experience no matter what.

It's been interesting just trying to nail down exactly what age/version of myself I'd like to "talk to"!
Old 09-02-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just put this on hold at the library, AND I'm loading up my "saved list" w/recordings of some of the many, many books I've got listed under the "recovery" heading. If I don't have as much time to read as I used to, I can certainly get on w/listening to as much as is available on CD...

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

As I open this very tattered & crumpled old piece of paper I found (around age six ) It would have to be more simple wording to understand . Maybe if I was lucky enough I could get an adult read it ...
Self : Life is going to be rough being raised with alcoholic parents . Don't be So afraid , they love you more then life itself . The beast of alcohol will take them down a long road . You'll make it through - That you can believe - with a few scar's & memories that will stay with you forever.
Don't worry little girl the hurt & pain you go through will only make you stronger as an adult . Heed my Warning don't Ever pick up a drink , for you will follow the same path .....
Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Firesprite-

I had a therapist tell me once that depending on the age of the "girl" you want to write to, sometimes writing with your non-dominant hand can help you to access that young time better.

I have found it to be true. Great idea.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I put this book on hold at the library after seeing this thread and just picked it up this evening from there. Looking forward to getting started. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I'd write this to my 18 year old self:

Dear Karma,

Stop trying to find loopholes in everything your mom and dad try to tell you. They're right. They're always right. And they're going to be right for a very long time.

Your future daughter is going to take everything you say with a grain of salt too, but she'll listen to her grandparents without question. So I guess the jokes on you, sucker!

Sincerely yours,