SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Seven years (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/374433-seven-years.html)

LexieCat 08-28-2015 05:54 AM

Seven years

Today I'm celebrating seven years of sobriety.

I'm very grateful for that gift. I shared my story of recovery from alcoholism on my two-year anniversary, and anyone who cares to can read it here.

I can't imagine (or rather, I shudder to think) where I'd be today if I hadn't had that moment of clarity and acted on it. My theory is that most alcoholics have moments of clarity now and then, but such moments have a limited shelf-life. A window opens, and if the alcoholic doesn't take decisive action, the window closes again, and there is no telling when (or even if) it will open again.

I knew I had a "problem" LONG before the solution became apparent to me--before I was ready to see it. I'm just glad I moved on it when I did.

Wisconsin 08-28-2015 05:58 AM

Congratulations to you, Lexie! And thank you for all that you give to this forum!

Opivotal 08-28-2015 05:58 AM

Big Congratulations LexieCat!!

http://www.desicomments.com/graphics...lations/10.gif

Gonnachange 08-28-2015 05:59 AM

Congratulations!

RollTide 08-28-2015 06:01 AM

Congratulations!

hopeful4 08-28-2015 06:06 AM

Lexie....I am so happy for you! You are such a wonderful person. I am so glad you chose your moment of clarity and had the strength and courage to act on it. You help so many other people, and you are just a great person.

Congrats to you!!!!!

XXX

GnikNus 08-28-2015 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by LexieCat (Post 5531247)
My theory is that most alcoholics have moments of clarity now and then...".

Congratulations on 7 years. It's a major accomplishment.

Years ago, long before I quit drinking but when I knew it had become a problem, I was in a book store browsing the shelves. I passed an addiction and recovery shelf and picked a book up out of curiosity. In didn't read it very long before putting it back and moving on, but in one the things I read about the author mentioned "moments of clarity" that alcoholics experience. As I read I knew I'd had those moments before, but wasn't ready to act on them since I wasn't ready to quit. The concept always stuck with me, though.

It was during the last moment of clarity I found SR.

Eauchiche 08-28-2015 06:11 AM

"I'm just glad I moved on it when I did."

So are WE, Lexie! If you had not, the loss would have been ours....

FeelingGreat 08-28-2015 06:11 AM

Congrats on the seven years Lexie. Your story has elements similar to mine.

honeypig 08-28-2015 06:45 AM

Lexie, congratulations on those 7 years! You've been such a force for change and growth in my life since I've come here, and I'm so grateful. You're one of those people who "mean what they say, say what they mean, but don't say it mean", and I really appreciate that.

Hope you find a great way to celebrate this anniversary.

Anna 08-28-2015 07:02 AM

Congratulations on 7 years of recovery, Lexie!

SoberLeigh 08-28-2015 07:07 AM

Congratulations, Lexie; beautifully done. :nyy

Moments of clarity - windows of opportunity - how true.

SparkleKitty 08-28-2015 07:25 AM

I can't imagine where this forum would be either, Lexie -- a hearty congratulations on your seven years and a from-the-bottom-of-my-heart thank you for all you contribute here.

FireSprite 08-28-2015 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by honeypig (Post 5531355)
Lexie, congratulations on those 7 years! You've been such a force for change and growth in my life since I've come here, and I'm so grateful. You're one of those people who "mean what they say, say what they mean, but don't say it mean", and I really appreciate that.

Hope you find a great way to celebrate this anniversary.

Well said & total DITTO from me. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with this part of the forums, it means so much to SO many!!

CONGRATULATIONS on 7 years!!!
:You_Rock_:scoregood:tyou

HoldOnLoosely 08-28-2015 08:04 AM

Congratulations on 7 years. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge with the rest of us.

healthyagain 08-28-2015 08:53 AM

Happy sobriety b-day! You rock!

jarp 08-28-2015 09:05 AM

Congratulations from me too. You gave helped so many people here and I always really, really appreciate the advice and sharing you've offered to me and others. I'm so glad you acted on that moment of clarity.

MIRecovery 08-28-2015 09:19 AM

Great job and insightful post. I Agree the window seldom opens and may only open once

Timetoheal12 08-28-2015 09:25 AM

Congratulations, Lexie!
Thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences with all of us in here.:c011::thanks

theuncertainty 08-28-2015 09:31 AM

Congrats, Lexie!
:grouphug: