Lost a friend to an attack from a mix of Xanax/Alcohol

Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost a friend to an attack from a mix of Xanax/Alcohol

Hi I am reaching out to try to understand what a friend went through before dying of self-inflicted injury. I was told that due to depression, my friend could have been addicted to combination of either Xanax and/or Alcohol. I read online that this can cause "uncontrolled" emotional attacks. But another source said it just causes sleepiness where someone cannot function.

Has anyone else either lost a loved one or had one survive a suicidal attack brought on by either Xanax or Alcohol or both?

I want to understand what my friend was going through, and how I can reach out and help prevent other people from suffering or dying this way.

I am sorry I am still halfway in shock and denial. This happened in January, I found out in July, but just heard the details yesterday. I am not understanding how this could happen. Can anyone please help? thank you so much, this will help me to finish grieving instead of denying and thinking it cannot even be real. I can't totally understand yet, but I am trying to absorb and accept it.

Sorry if anyone else has gone through this, I can't imagine the shock grief and pain. I am still in disbelief, though I finally cried it out yesterday and it is slowly sinking in that my friend is really gone.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no wisdom to offer, but I do offer my deepest sympathy for the loss of your friend.

I'm certain that others here will be along with more for you. (((Hugs))).
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear this Emily. Send warm thoughts your way...
Old 08-27-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Emily,

I'm so sorry for your loss. ((((gentle hugs))))

From what I've so far found about addictions and mental illness is that they're irrational and counter-intuitive to what I always thought might help. I'm still learning, one day at a time. As I find my balance and strength through Alanon, the more I'm able to have more meaningful relationships, even within active addiction.

I didn't Cause it, can't Control it, and can't Cure it (the three C's).

And yet, changed people change people. Not by getting our way, but by being present in the moment and loving them how they are, not how we want them to be.

The LEAP Institute has some good information on mental health. Denial of having a problem is a symptom of addiction, and often other mental illness. I know it's been a big part of my own mental illness caused by this family disease of alcoholism, and I don't even drink.

I highly recommend Alanon meetings and finding a sponsor. Working the steps of the program may help in more understanding and working through your grief.

Prayers and warm thoughts for both you and your loved one.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you research mixing or overdosing on alcohol and benzodiazapines you will find a wealth of information on its dangers.

So sorry for your loss ...
Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone. It helps me to understand the crisis and how bad it really was. I feel the sadness and reality sinking in. I really appreciate having a place to share when the anger phase hits at some point. I don't handle anger very well, so I have to prepare and brace myself, and hope that it passes quickly. It helps me to know I can share when those really upset angry thoughts start to hit. Just want to be prepared, thank you so much. It's still better than suppressing it in complete denial, but I need to know I have the space to feel those feelings or they won't come out at all. I feel them starting, but I'm at work and just hope it can wait until I can cry when I feel like crying.

What may be even more confusing here, I have such a capacity to be an empath, it's almost to a fault. I can channel and mimic other people's feelings around me, even unconsciously. So when I feel myself crying out "my baby, my poor baby" that could be her boyfriend's grief I am empathizing with, so much, it feels like my own pain and thoughts. I know it is part of healing to sympathize and share the burden with others I am connected with. It just gets overwhelming sometimes when not only am I grieving, but I can pick up the signals of other people who are suppressing their grief but I pick it up on the level where prayers connect us in spirit, and I feel the pain and prayers for help.

I am grieving over the reporters shot to death in Virginia also, so I may pick up mixed signals coming from that tragedy that is going on right now. Just feel people crying out. It's like having a radio antenna that picks up more than one channel at the same time, so there is a lot of noise, and it is hard to distinguish the different sources running together. I just feel sadness and a tinge of anger in there. I keep praying for healing and forgiveness so the positive connects and unites, and keeps the negative fringe emotions in check.

I am praying for all my mentors who are on the spiritual realm to please join and help those who are grieving right now. So many people crying out. Maybe my friend is on that plane with them and is helping people on a spiritual level. Very sad. I just want to cry.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I am so sorry for your loss. It's shocking and very sad.

I will tell you how alcohol and Xanax did affect and still affects my X husband. He has anxiety that comes from a long long line of family members. He truly needs the medication. However, to drink along with it is dangerous, and as you know, can be deadly.

My X can drink just a little bit and be severely impaired b/c of the benzo mix. In 2010, on the day before Easter, I was at church with my parents. When we got back to their home, the police were there and asked me to come with them and to bring someone with me, so my sister and I went.

About a mile up the road sat my car at a house, I do not know the people who live there, nor does my X. The house was trashed. My X apparently broke into their home, drank all of their booze, and just trashed their house. He then went upstairs and jumped off the roof. His blood was all over the house, hit hat was there, and his shirt. They apparently picked him up limping down the road, and put him in jail. He did over $20k in damage to that house. He woke up the next morning in jail and called me. He had absolutely no idea why he was in jail, and to this day, does not remember any of this.

I am sharing this b/c if you met him, you would never think in a million years he would do something like this. This was done by someone who was in a rage like I cannot explain. I thank God those people were not home, if they had been it's hard telling what would have transpired. I only believed he did it b/c it was our car there, and his shirt and hat were his. They did later test his DNA and it was only his found there. They were surprised that someone could do that amount of damage alone.

So I can only say that it's a scary mix. It's on an alarmingly growing list of things that can and will kill a person. Unfortunately, the body gets usto Xanax, and wants more. So many self medicate with other drugs and alcohol.

So, that's my story. I hope this has helped you understand what mind set a person can be in. Benzos and alcohol are depressants, so it can affect each person differently.

Many, many hugs to you.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Hello and welcome. I am so sorry for your loss. It's shocking and very sad.

I will tell you how alcohol and Xanax did affect and still affects my X husband. He has anxiety that comes from a long long line of family members. He truly needs the medication. However, to drink along with it is dangerous, and as you know, can be deadly.

My X can drink just a little bit and be severely impaired b/c of the benzo mix. In 2010, on the day before Easter, I was at church with my parents. When we got back to their home, the police were there and asked me to come with them and to bring someone with me, so my sister and I went.

About a mile up the road sat my car at a house, I do not know the people who live there, nor does my X. The house was trashed. My X apparently broke into their home, drank all of their booze, and just trashed their house. He then went upstairs and jumped off the roof. His blood was all over the house, hit hat was there, and his shirt. They apparently picked him up limping down the road, and put him in jail. He did over $20k in damage to that house. He woke up the next morning in jail and called me. He had absolutely no idea why he was in jail, and to this day, does not remember any of this.

I am sharing this b/c if you met him, you would never think in a million years he would do something like this. This was done by someone who was in a rage like I cannot explain. I thank God those people were not home, if they had been it's hard telling what would have transpired. I only believed he did it b/c it was our car there, and his shirt and hat were his. They did later test his DNA and it was only his found there. They were surprised that someone could do that amount of damage alone.

So I can only say that it's a scary mix. It's on an alarmingly growing list of things that can and will kill a person. Unfortunately, the body gets usto Xanax, and wants more. So many self medicate with other drugs and alcohol.

So, that's my story. I hope this has helped you understand what mind set a person can be in. Benzos and alcohol are depressants, so it can affect each person differently.

Many, many hugs to you.
Thanks hopeful
I don't know if my friend was in a rage, but having an absolute panic attack about being abandoned or something. When left alone, the fatal injuries were from hanging. So the last person who left and found my friend felt terrible guilt, and we are trying to understand the depression and isolation that was the slow killer in this case. Now you are helping me understand that the immediate danger must have been the mix of medication with alcohol to cause such erratic behavior. At least this helps me understand how such a kind gentle person, who would never harm a single living thing, went out of control to this extent.
I think I understand, and can cry it out instead of holding it back. The more I read what other people have suffered, I cry for them, too.

I'm glad your friend survived, because mine didn't. I didn't know how dangerous depression was, I thought you could just supervise and watch over people like normal and they'd be okay. But apparently that's not enough when there are these other dangers that can blow up without warning.

I cannot do a dam thing about losing my friend, but I can sympathize with friends who are grieving so we don't let the survivor guilt push anyone down further. I feel I need to lend a hand and lift the circle of friends up so we can do some positive things to remember and help other people not go through this. It is so hard to think that the quiet ones who don't ask for help can be the ones most in need. That is sad and scary to think how we missed doing more if we had known how dangerous this situation was. We all thought it was going to be okay.

I really feel for the friends who were closer, as I have been very removed compared with them, and I feel terrible guilt that I was not there and didn't know how serious this was. Just feel awful, I can't imagine how the other friends feel, and family who were also distanced.

Thanks for sharing so I can get a more clear picture of how disaster can strike the most unlikely of people and catch everyone off guard. This helps a lot, my mind is starting to get how this could be so "out of the blue" but still have a specific reason that can be prevented.

I really prefer the spiritual healing methods that don't use drugs, so there is no risk of side effects. My poor friend. I wish I had known. but at least I know what all the other friends are thinking and saying also. At least I can feel their pain and this may help bring us together if we all understand and don't blame people when it was the chemical mix that cause this fatal outburst from nowhere that nobody saw coming.

I'm glad your X survived jumping off the roof and jail and police. And maybe it's a good thing he doesn't remember. Maybe that is to protect him. If he wants to try the spiritual healing method to reduce the stress of the addiction, I have some free references for help. They are all nonprofit volunteers, all free help. I can't go back in time to help my own friend, but made a commitment to share the help forward and try to get 20-30 people free and clear and out of danger to honor my friend who didn't make it. RIP.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your soul is kind, it comes through very clearly.

Unfortunately, my X has turned to drinking even more so. It's very sad. I have had to separate myself from him and his issues and turn him over to God. He knows the tools to help himself, only he can decide to do that....or not.

RIP to your friend. I am so very sorry for your loss.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeworks View Post
If you research mixing or overdosing on alcohol and benzodiazapines you will find a wealth of information on its dangers.

So sorry for your loss ...
Thanks Hopeworks

I started looking it up but had to stop. Why didn't I know about this and shouldn't we all have known not to let those meds be mixed with alcohol.

When I'm ready to go through the "anger" phase I know where to look now. Why isn't more being done to warn and prevent the meds from being mixed. I'm sure I will get plenty angry and upset I lost a friend to this when this knowledge was already out there. The same with spiritual healing. I know it's the solution, it's free natural effective and safe, so why wasn't it out there to help the people who need and deserve it the most. This knowledge of the dangers and solutions has got to come out and be established, instead of people finding out by the internet.

Thanks for sharing. It's like the information is out there, but it's not being applied. Is it because people are still making money off the pharms???
Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually Xanax has a generic and it's cheap. Problem is, many people who take Xanax have underlying mental illness of some sort and many times a big part of that is addiction. Addicts are not the type to think out if this is a safe combo or not. It's deadly, yet they still continue on.

It's awful.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your soul is kind, it comes through very clearly.

Unfortunately, my X has turned to drinking even more so. It's very sad. I have had to separate myself from him and his issues and turn him over to God. He knows the tools to help himself, only he can decide to do that....or not.

RIP to your friend. I am so very sorry for your loss.
I will try to PM you my friend's number. Especially when someone is in denial and danger, it is the solution for the people AROUND them to join in prayer and this still can serve as protection and open a door to change. The sister of a pedophile/heroin addict called my friend for help for her brother, who refused, and her call was enough to start the process of change. He didn't want to get help, he was hiding out of hopelessness, but because of the prayer, he felt "compelled' to call for help, then the prayer "compelled" him to come in and get help. He even tried to shoot up heroin before and after they met, to try to sabotage himself, but the needle broke both times and wouldn't LET him keep screwing himself up. Even though he didn't consciously agree to be there, he obeyed, and went through the prayer for forgiveness and healing anyway. And that was enough. After the needle kept breaking and wouldn't allow him to take his drugs, he understood that was God answering the prayer and he changed completely. Dropped his addictions symptoms free in 3 days (which is hard for heroin to go cold turkey, and without withdrawal symptoms) and became a fulltime outreach volunteer to help others.

My friend has helped so many messed up people, so much worse off, that's why I can't believe I didn't know to help my friend I lost to less, who had very mild problems in comparison with the severe abuse and addiction cases I have watched heal successfully over time.

It seems the really messed up ones, at least they make it obvious they are in trouble so they can get help. The hidden silent ones can be taken for granted and missed.

At the very least, I pray for protection for everyone.

I'd like to build a healing circle for protection around everyone BEFORE praying for positive change. As long as there is Forgiveness somewhere in the chain, it creates an opening around the person to prepare for changes later. And the prayers can get in and start reformatting the system and redoing the wiring. But from what I understand there should be a protective prayer first around all the people connected.

The changes connected to recovery from addiction can be very volatile and disruptive, so from books I have read on people doing this level of team intervention, they pray first for protection of the whole team around the entire process so it stays contained. Something like that.

I've head of whole communities getting rid of addiction and crime by joining together in healing prayer. So the positive energy reconnects and reinforces a huge network uniting the people in spirit, and that either wards off or removes the negative energy behind the addictions and conflicts from ill will that divide and destroy people by turning them against themselves, each other and the community as a whole.

I thought that is where society is heading anyway, with everyone I know trying to solve either personal relations or political problems -- the whole point is to heal and restore good faith working relations so all the negativity causing the problems is gone. I will keep praying for protection and uplifting everyone. I don't want to lose anyone else when this can be prevented. May we find the best way to reach out and get everyone the help they need so nobody else gets harmed or threatened. May we all find protection and be uplifted to higher ground. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
Hello Emily,

I'm so sorry for your loss. ((((gentle hugs))))

From what I've so far found about addictions and mental illness is that they're irrational and counter-intuitive to what I always thought might help. I'm still learning, one day at a time. As I find my balance and strength through Alanon, the more I'm able to have more meaningful relationships, even within active addiction.

I didn't Cause it, can't Control it, and can't Cure it (the three C's).

And yet, changed people change people. Not by getting our way, but by being present in the moment and loving them how they are, not how we want them to be.

The LEAP Institute has some good information on mental health. Denial of having a problem is a symptom of addiction, and often other mental illness. I know it's been a big part of my own mental illness caused by this family disease of alcoholism, and I don't even drink.

I highly recommend Alanon meetings and finding a sponsor. Working the steps of the program may help in more understanding and working through your grief.

Prayers and warm thoughts for both you and your loved one.
Hi KTP thanks for a very helpful post. I got a lot from it the first time,
and what you said made more and more sense reading it again and again.

I have two other friends who have gone through rocky recoveries, dragging me with them, so it would have helped to have more knowledge of this instead of going into it blindly. I already knew each person's process is unique, but with alcohol and drug recovery, there are certain patterns to watch out for. It does help to share with people who've been through the curve.

At this point I feel exhausted and wish I could just drop all this healing outreach business, let everyone figure it out for themselves, and quit trying to speed up or soften the curve for people. I just don't think I could stand to hear about another people dying, driving drunk, or shooting someone dead because they didn't get help for their problems. So I keep reaching out to connect on solutions, and want to make sure everyone gets help. At the same time I wish I could retire from this and sleep.

Is there no end or isn't there some point at which everyone will know the dangers of addictions, the connections to get help, and the process involved so it isn't all this chaotic trial and error, hit or miss, and sudden death?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilro View Post
So sorry to hear this Emily. Send warm thoughts your way...
Thanks Lilro I am sorry for what sent me here, looking for answers but I am glad to find caring people like you for support. Appreciate you reaching out, and wish everyone had that where nobody fell through the cracks.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

emily, there is, unfortunately, no way we can "save" our loved ones who suffer from addiction and mental health problems. It simply isn't possible.

I've been around alcohol recovery for 35 years, since my first husband got sober. I've known hundreds of alcoholics in various stages of drinking or recovery. Alcoholics and addicts can be educated endlessly, but until they are ready to do the hard work involved in recovery, all the education in the world, and all the love and care in the world won't save them.

Have you been to Al-Anon? I think it might help YOU a great deal to learn about your own limitations and how to focus on your own needs before you try to save the world. There are ways you can help those who WANT help. But not if you burn yourself out trying to save those who don't want to be saved.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Actually Xanax has a generic and it's cheap. Problem is, many people who take Xanax have underlying mental illness of some sort and many times a big part of that is addiction. Addicts are not the type to think out if this is a safe combo or not. It's deadly, yet they still continue on.

It's awful.
If making money off the addiction is behind this, I AM going to get very upset and angry. Hopefully not like the Incredible Hulk. I am not that big but I do blow up Verbally, and may end up formally petitioning the manufacturers or the state officials if this isn't addressed seriously.

If people are exploiting the mentally ill and addicted, knowing they can't help themselves, and these drugs are going to get mixed with alcohol and nobody cares as long as they sell, well, I care. This is horrible. when I am ready to go there and have a hug fit, I will look into this. Can't do this right now, but I feel it coming on. If there isn't a huge class action suit, there well could be. And I know lawyers willing to pursue that if there is any proof they had knowledge and didn't prevent the abuses.

If that is what is behind this, I can already tell you I am not going to tolerate this if that's what ultimately killed my friend. I am not going to let other friends blame themselves if these drugs are being sold knowing this is going to happen. No way! I hope this isn't the purpose of me getting involved. I wanted solutions not more problems to have to fight.

This could be opening another can of worms. Not sure I am ready to go there, because if I do take this on, it means taking it all the way to the top and demanding protection and change. I am not going to let my poor friend suffer an attack and die for nothing. I don't want to get angry yet, so I'll save this for later. I want to have a plan in place that is set up to SOLVE the problem first, and then I can feel safe to get angry when I know where to direct that energy out of Compassion to change things in a constructive proper way that sounds like it is long overdue.

I read about people going homocidal on prozac or other drugs with bad withdrawal or conflicting effects. I never thought about how I would feel if I lost someone to a bad reaction. Does this really have to keep happening before things will change? Not until it affects everyone?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The same drugs that are often safe and effective when used properly can be abused. That's been true since the beginning. Drugs like Xanax prominently warn about the dangers of taking them with alcohol. Some medications cause side effects. It's important for the patient to work closely with his/her physician to be sure they are having the desired effect.

A crusade against the drug companies is a waste of energy, not to mention misdirected. I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. But she is the one who misused the drugs. Nobody forced them on her.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

only an autopsy could explain what exactly was happening at the time of death.

MM
Old 08-29-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Emily,

I used to be so empathetic that I would automatically pick up and feel emotions of others. I now believe it was one of my strengths that was out of balance and in overdrive. When I was first told that it wasn't my load to pick up and carry, I hadn't realized that before. I need to let others carry their own loads. Just because I could feel it (and at first had a very hard time not taking it on), didn't mean it was meant for me to do that.

Through Alanon I've learned feelings aren't facts. They're just feelings, and although important, they tend to carry different stories with them and can be viewed in different perspectives.

I can be aware of the feelings, I can observe them and give positive, unconditional love. I can be a grounding base instead of part of the emotional whirlwind. In order to do that, I need to take care of myself emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually. Yesterday I was encouraged to bring a sense of curiosity to working through healing pain in physical therapy. I'm enjoying getting different perspectives like that.

Thinking of you today. How are you doing?

Ktf
Old 08-29-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry about the loss of your friend in such a tragic way.

If there isn't a huge class action suit, there well could be. And I know lawyers willing to pursue that if there is any proof they had knowledge and didn't prevent the abuses.

If you want you can read the very long and boring "side effects and dangers" of Xanax. Included is the possibility of addiction as well as a stern warning to never mix with alcohol. Often times the warning not to mix with alcohol is listed on the prescription bottle. No attorney will pursue this, and I agree with Lexie your anger is misdirected.

Used in accordance with directions, and under a doctors supervision, these medications are helpful and useful and necessary for many. It is the patient whom usually lies to the doctor about their addiction issues and/or use of other medications, street drugs, or alcohol. There is no proof that your friend took xanax, mixed it with alcohol, and decided to kill themselves solely due to an "attack" from the medication. Certainly this medication and alcohol are depressants. In a person who is already struggling with depression its a dangerous mix causing further depression. People make really, really stupid decisions when they are intoxicated and mixing things that don't go well together.