He's Not Doing Well

Old 08-16-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's Not Doing Well

What a day. Things just seem to be getting worse with him n it's not the alcohol. I mean, yea, what alcohol he does drink makes him worse memory wise but... I think it's more than that.

His ears are draining a clear fluid n I'm wondering if he's got fluid on his brain again?! We dealt with It after the accident n He was cleard from the Neuro in Feb 2014. But could it happen again?! I'm afraid to find out but if I don't have it checked n something was terribly wrong, I'd never forgive myself if something bad happened.

He's forgetting a lot. He's mixing up things that happened on different days. He's wobbly, dizzy n very sore but he hasn't been to the gym in months! His leg is also not cooperating with him. Its been like that since the accident but, it's getting notiably worse in the last 2 months. He's calling the dogs the other's names n couldn't remember his nephew's name today.

He slept all last night. I came home from work n went to bed. We slept til 1pm. Got up n went for a ride on the bike (oh... Didn't I tell you all? We have a new Night Train). He was fine. He did not drink! We ended up dumping the bike 2 Times today n had a horrible butt clenching ride home n I asked him, what on earth is the matter with you?! He said, I don't know but something is wrong! I told him he should have told me n He said he couldn't cuz the bike needed brought home. I told him we could have had it towed.

So this is where we are n man, I'm scared for him n how this has changed our whole marriage. I knew life wouldn't be the same if he survived. Its hard n I feel like it's only going to get worse. I think were slowly heading towards the end. He'll never recover memory wise n with what he does drink, it's only a matter of time til he forget who I am. I don't know why I'm writing. I don't really need advice because I know what I'm doing. I guess my heart just hurts seeing him so frail.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Boxin,

I have a brain cyst so I am familiar with the issues your husband is facing. Clear fluid draining from ears or nose is one of the symptoms my doctors are always telling me are important. The clear fluid _could_ be something as simple as an infection that is clearing out, but it _might_ be something seriuos.

It all depends on where his injury ocurred and whether there was any damage to the skull around his ear.

The only way to know for sure is to have a doctor look in there. My suggestion is that you call your doctor right away, of if there is an emergency room nearby call them on the phone and ask them.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
I'm sorry your going through this, Box. It must be very draining. I'll keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds as if something more is wrong than just the results of the alcohol. I would take him to the ER if you can. Especially before he becomes more disoriented.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's not going to go for that. I'm calling his Dr tomorrow n getting him in. Some will remember how difficult he was last time. Nothing has changed in that aspect.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep a detailed account of the symptoms that you are seeing for when your call the doctor. The sooner he gets in the better though.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Box, I'm so sorry. I'm watching my parents age, so can relate to your experience. Seeing someone become frail is like watching them fade and slip away while there seems to be so little that we can do.

Calling the doc for an appointment is a very good thing to do. You are in my thoughts.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Sorry about this Roz, but it does sound serious, and with brain injuries there's no time to waste. Hope he listens to his doctor.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 9111111 View Post
Box, I'm so sorry. I'm watching my parents age, so can relate to your experience. Seeing someone become frail is like watching them fade and slip away while there seems to be so little that we can do.

Calling the doc for an appointment is a very good thing to do. You are in my thoughts.
I can't believe I'm watching this happen. I thought maybe swimmers ear but I don't believe it is swimmers ear. I asked him if he had a head ache n he said yes, it's in the back where he smashed his head. He's also limping very badly n I wonder if he broke his hip or something when he dropped the bike in gravel. We were not going fast at all. He was not drunk.

I am literally watching his gears slip. I feel like I'm going from wife to care taker n then no one in the end. I'm calling Dr today n telling him we need to get a CT scan n an xray on his hips to make sure he didn't break something. He would not tell me if he felt excruciating pain so I have to be one step ahead of him. He doesn't know about the xray but he knows about the CT scan. He said he would not go through another brain surgery. So, if he does have fluid, he's going to sign his death warrant. Ugh
Old 08-17-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Box--do you think that the fluid is putting some pressure on his brain?

Maybe when this is drained he will improve--getting him in for scan won't be easy
but is wise.

Sending you hugs. You're tough, but this hurts
Old 08-17-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do hawk! I think he's got fluid on his brain. It would explain a lot in my opinion. He's not the same since the accident n the alcohol has a different effect on him n I wouldn't be surprised If it's making his brain weepy like it did so soon after the accident.

For all of the newbies who don't know AH's unique situation, I'll just say this... He should have died on July 3rd 2013. He was riding a Harley Davidson without a helmet. He was thrown from it going 65mph around a 90° bend. He suffered massive head trauma and injuries. He survived n walked out of the hospital a week n 1 day later. He ended up having a plastic surgeon for 6 week's fix the gaping hole left in his head because he scalped himself. In September, he had brain surgery. They bored a 1" hole on his head to drain fluid off his brain. It was a very painful procedure for him and He said he'd never do it again.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, Rotz, I'm sorry you're back in this position. Hugs/prayers--hope the docs can deal with it without a battle.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Box
So sorry for what you are going through. I work in the ER, a call to them would be useless because they cannot give advise over the phone and would just suggest you bring him in to be seen. Please just get him to his Doc as soon as you can. Keep us updated.. Big hug to you for your troubles.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was on the phone with Dr first thing this morning, 9am n were in process of ordering CT scan. Just waiting for authorization now. He will not go to ER willingly so don't even suggest it. It's a useless n horrifying battle.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thinking of you, girl.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We're all with you Rotz. I'm so sorry it has to be this way.Sending you strength and patience.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rotz, I'm keeping you (and him) in my heart. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am so sorry! This has to be very scary for both of you. Praying for you both, keep us updated.

Many, many hugs!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Rotz - sending love n prayers. Strength and peace to you.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Rotz, Thinking of you and sending you strength and prayers. I'm so sorry.